It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Puts Up Official Sign “WARNING” People Who Disagree with Him to LEAVE!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: deadeyedick
I like it but what will they say to a person that does not have the choice to leave?

Tell them to deal with it. That's what the PC crowd tells anyone that disagrees with them.

Separation from church and state is what so many say on ATS is one of the foundations the American constitution is based upon so he's effectively defacating on it. Deal with it, being sheriff doesn't allow you to try and impose your opinions on anyone else unless they are breaking a law.

Ah well, backward county I guess, surprised it isn't a reality show so those that enjoy such things can have a good laugh.

More people who dont understand that part of "Separation of Church and state"

That designates that the Gov cannot establish or mandate a religion

Not that you are free from seeing people practice it

(hands klenex)

It has been overly distorted throughout the years, and has now gotten to the point where God on the back of a vehicle actually offends some people to the point that they go into a fit of rage over it. I can remember when people used to mind their own business. Now they mind everyone elses, and there's nothing worse than a selfish "me first" person that minds everyone elses business in the process.

Read your last sentence again, isn't that exactly what the sign is saying? If you really don't think so then I guess you've already decided that anyone with a different opinion to yours isn't welcome......... your world I guess.

Wait, are you telling me that he's minding everyone elses business and only thinking of himself? I can see where anyone opposing his action would think he's thinking only of himself, but how is he minding someone elses business?

errrr, ok, by telling them what opinions are acceptable to be voiced? Are you really missing that? When did an elected official get the right to do that?

A twice elected president currently serving the last year of his second term has done that for 7 solid years. I don't agree with him or his opinions. Would you believe that I haven't gone to DC and driven past 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW?

Surely the Sheriff of 1 out of 3,143 counties in this country isn't more important to you than the president of the US, right? Without looking at the OP or link, can you even remember this guy's name? You're picking and choosing right vs wrong according to how beneficial it is to your argument.

97% of Harris County, GA's population of 32,000 is rural. Almost 80% of Harris County is Conservative.

I doubt you'll get much negative feedback out of county residents.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22
I can't talk on behalf of anyone else here, but my point is that authorities should refrain from political expression of views, because it's overstepping a certain degree of meddling, that could potentially turn into ways that are unwanted or biased on a social level.
In other words, he should stick with upholding the law instead.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Well said, Indeed! 👍

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: LSU0408 I'm British, and choose not to live in a facist Idiocracy like America. We don't have sheriffs here laying the law down like Yosemite Sam, forcing patriotism and conformity on citizens. Like your hero sheriff of Hicksville

If you only knew...

Have a good day.
edit on 25-11-2015 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Arent you cute

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Tyrion79

but my point is that authorities should refrain from political expression of views

so if the town people had bought this sign would you be ok with it ?

or is it the sign that offends you ?
edit on 25-11-2015 by stuthealien because: to insert it

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien

you where stating what you think and why it should not be there,
but the world is not just your world their are others that do not want to think like you.
and it is just a sign it can not hurt you in any way yet you protest the sign.
why?

what is so wrong in your mind that you must say it should not be this way.
its a case of you think ,i think
in life a sign is unimportant .

Exactly, thank you for emphasising this.
It is not up to the sheriff to make this decision for others, as I tried to explain in my first post.
So how exactly did you think my post stated otherwise?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i get a 'sheriff out of rambo' feeling about the man behind the sign. very welcoming.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I agree with the sign. I don't like the fact that the Christian religion is being suppressed in Christian countries.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
If we follow the story, he may be hearing from the actual silent minority in his town who think this sign is going too far. I say watch this space.

Aaaand, here we have it... That was fast! The American Humanist Association has sent a letter to the sheriff, the Harris County Board of Commissioners, the County Manager and the Harris County District Attorney...

The purpose of this letter is to inform you that the sign violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, as well as the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, and must be removed immediately.
While some residents of your community may support a sign with such a message, there can be no question that it conveys a religiously biased message that is invidious toward those who do not hold theistic, and particularly Christian, views.
Not only is this virtually an admission of unconstitutional activity, but the fact that he has paid for the sign himself – apparently thinking he is cleverly avoiding constitutional exposure by doing so – also acts as an admission that he realizes the sign is unlawful.

Letter

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

You're separating "social" from "law"? The sign is in a "public space". Laws are the only things that keep most of us social and civilized. I don't see how this sign violates any "social norms" than a, let's say, rainbow flag flying at city hall? What laws is this Sheriff not promoting or sticking to, with his sign?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien

but my point is that authorities should refrain from political expression of views

so if the town people had bought this sign would you be ok with it ?

or is it the sign that offends you ?

The sign in it's current state doesn't offend me at all.
However it's a government sign showing county borders and should not be used to express anything other than information regarding that.
If town people would like to express their views on this, they have lots of other options in doing so and I wouldn't mind that at all.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

"Humanist" alway seem to get riled up over things they claim in thier mind, doesn't exist. Then go after them that believe it does. Real progressive of them. Always brings a good chuckle.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Alright, this actually is a pretty simple open and shut case.
The sign was made using private money.
Freedom of Speech would call this "art".

It's hateful and racist but perfectly legal.

What if I had a bunch of money and put up billboards of a close up of my ass? Perfectly legal, art.
Or a giant billboard that said "please jump from this spot", perfectly legal, art.
Or another giant ass billboard that said "Deez Nutz 2016", perfectly legal, art.

It just sucks that this guy went through the effort to be hateful.
Reminds me of the signs I see around here, "Prepare to Meet Your Maker" and "If you died right now, where would you go?"

No different than the giant crosses on the edges of freeways, or the giant yellow "M" that you see everywhere, selling you poison and feces wrapped up in recycled waste.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
No, I'm separating political or religious views from the state here, as it should be.
If anyone doesn't see the thin line in this, then there are examples in history, that I could refer to.
The sign as shown now is harmless as it is, however I think this could eventually lead to more segregating views in the future, seeing how the nature of humanity can quickly devolve to this, especially in terms of current world events.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

You do understand the power and appoinment of a Sheriff right? Or the geographic layout of a county? The sign can offend, two out of five towns in the county, guess what? It's still a free enough country to be offened in.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The sheriff is still a public authority, hired by the state and should therefore refrain from any personal statements in order to keep a neutral stance in upholding the law.
If he wants to express his views like this, he should do it on a personal note and not on public signs.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
As it should be? I'd bet he took his oath of office on a bible. What did he say on his sign, that threatens the "state's" foward march into a more progressive, humanist utopia? Because he stated the county has standatds?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

The sheriff is still a public authority, hired by the state and should therefore refrain from any personal statements in order to keep a neutral stance in upholding the law.

i don't know what state or county you live in but everyone i've been in, the sheriff's office is a elected official.
and many of them talk and say more outrageous things than this and are elected anyway.

edit on 25-11-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: murphy22 the sheriff sounds like a nutter with some serious issues, he sounds dangerous with delusions of grandeur. I'd rather live somewhere more tolerant and less dictatorial, like North Korea.

I support your desire to move to North Korea. You are definitely on to something...don't miss your chance to go.

I love how you are intolerant of his beliefs while mocking what you perceive as his intolerance. Wouldn't it be great if we could all 'tolerate' each other? What a utopia where we all go around biting our lip afraid to discuss anything while we barely tolerate each other. Sounds lovely.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join