It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slain LA County officer was targeted, killed in headquarters parking lot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Breaking story about an LA County (Downey, CA) officer shot and killed while parked at police headquarters. The initial report was a shooting and an officer down at approximately 6 am pacific time. More info has been updated in the last few minutes.

The officer was sitting in his personal car in the parking lot of the HQ building when two subjects ran up to his personal car and opened fire. Another officer heard the shots and pursued the subjects, who fled in a vehicle into a nearby neighborhood.

At least three people have been detained but no official arrests yet. A large perimeter has been set up, and SWAT teams are sweeping nearby apartment buildings.

Motive is unknown at this time. Gang initiation? Personal beef? Because why not?

Will update as I can.

bigstory.ap.org...
edit on 19-11-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Clarity

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

We are witnessing the "unraveling" of civil society. Oh well.......

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Thanks for the thread going to KTLA now.
This soundas like professional hit at the moment.
SnF

Horrible news Officer Ricky Galvez in memorial.
Suspect in custody and now seems like some personal
reasons might be involved.
edit on Ram111915v09201500000024 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Was it another cop?

Or maybe a jealous husband?

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: jefwane
Was it another cop?

Or maybe a jealous husband?

No word on motive. It was another cop who found the slain officer.
Shot to death in the drivers seat of his car.
edit on Ram111915v17201500000055 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

I kinda doubt he was targeted specifically. Kinda dumb to not wait and follow the guy home or something, shooting someone in the police station parking lot is incredibly stupid, though shooting anyone, especially a cop is too.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

There are only a relatively limited number of motivations for a killing of this nature.

A personal dispute seems less than likely as a motive, since someone with a personal issue with the officer would be more likely to assault them at a location more removed from his place of work, and any potential back up he might have had. No, we can dismiss this option.

A gang related hit is a distinct possibility, but then we must consider whether this is some initiation, or a hit on a specific officer, for a specific reason. What was the man involved in, what cases was he acting on, which cases was he to give evidence about in court, had he ever done under cover work, or was he involved with something he should not have been?

Alternatively, could this have been some kind of terror killing?

The proximity to the police headquarters discounts any of the more mundane motives one could theorise might exist, so whatever lead to this death, one must assume from the location the hit was carried out in, that an organisation or entity of many parts was involved. Individuals with grudges do not take their grievances to lethal conclusion in such extreme proximity to those who would arrest them for their actions.

This bodes very ill indeed. Brazen, barbaric, and effective. A trifecta which any reasonable person would wish never to see in a criminal action, or in the criminals responsible.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I wouldn't worry too much about this... The cop was armed and seemed to pose a threat. I'm sure the alleged shooters feared for their lives and no wrong doing will be found... Oh wait, that's the other way around... Yeah, they're screwed.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Well a cop was shot in the parking lot of the Downey
police dept. Stupidity is evident. 5 people detained
from a car that sped away to Montebelo where it
appears to be white people were placed in custody.
There's no search for a suspect at this point.

Waiting for Sham

edit on Ram111915v39201500000021 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Alternatively, could this have been some kind of terror killing?

Not from what is being reported so far.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I don't know whether he was specifically targeted, or he was targeted because badge. Given the nature of the shooting, I would put my money on it being because badge. If it was a lone shooter, I would be more inclined to think it was him, personally. Multiple shooters makes me look more towards some kind of gang activity.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
LA Times has a bit more info:

Officer was not in uniform and was "nearing end of shift." But it doesn't specify whether he was already out of service or was a plain clothes officer.

Investigators now believe he likely knew the shooters personally, and that it was in fact a targeted hit on him.

Three people have been detained and they are searching for a fourth, as well as searching residences along the escape route.

www.latimes.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
yeah, this story is going to have some interesting twists and turns. If its a revenge killing....then grab your popcorn.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
First arrest has been made. Others are still detained.

Shooting happened at close range and was multiple shots. Shooters entered the parking lot in a vehicle, ran to the officer's car, shot, got back in their car and exited the parking lot going another direction.

LA times link is updated.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The OP source has updated their information to include that an arrest has been made.

Sheriff's Lt. John Corina says investigators have arrested a man suspected of driving the getaway car after 29-year-old Downey police Officer Ricardo "Ricky" Galvez was shot.

More details from update.

Corina says detectives don't suspect terrorism and that the suspects may not have known Galvez was a police officer.

He says Galvez was in a public parking lot next to Downey police headquarters.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

Local media just reported investigators have now made three arrests, and all three will be charged with murder.

They no longer believe he was specifically targeted, but that it was a robbery attempt gone bad.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I'm guessing that these guys didn't have too much experience at robbery. It doesn't make any sense to shoot and kill your victim before you even demand their property. Then they shoot him multiple times.

Then, just for grins, they decided to make this robbery attempt within earshot of the police station.

Given your experience, does this sound like a robbery attempt to you?

-dex

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I am not sold on the robbery theory yet.

I agree with Dexter.

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but robbing someone in a police station parking lot is something I have never experienced.

Furthermore, while murdering the victim does happen during robberies, that is not usually the intent of the crime. I wonder if there was a struggle.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

That was the first thing I thought when they said botched robbery: he got his gun into play somehow or otherwise was resistant.

Also, I'm seeing both thay it was a public lot NEAR the station and that it was the station lot. Not sure at this point where it actually went down.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but robbing someone in a police station parking lot is something I have never experienced.

Ballsy wrestling stupidity for the best two out of three?

It's bound to have cameras, and lots of cops. Unpredictably coming and going. But definitely going to come right after you, right then and there. Seems like a bad choice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join