It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook will be 'better than humans in a DECADE, Mark Zuckerberg claims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Here's the article:

'One of our goals for the next five to 10 years,' Zuckerberg told Fast Company, 'is to basically get better than human level at all of the primary human senses: vision, hearing, language, general cognition.

'Taste and smell, we're not that worried about,' he deadpaned. 'For now.'

The firm hopes to be able to take advantage of the vast amount of data people are producing every day.

'There's just going to be a lot more data generated about what's happening in the world, and the conventional models and systems that we have today won't scale,' said Jay Parikh, Facebook's VP of engineering.

'If there's 10x or 20x or 50x more things happening around you in the world, then you're going to need these really, really intelligent systems like.'
It was recently revealed Facebook is studying the ancient Chinese game of Go for insights as it works on building its 'artificial brain' - one that it hopes to turn into a virtual personal assistant that can also sort through a mountain of photos, videos and comments posted by its next billion or so users.

www.dailymail.co.uk... html

I think it's becoming obvious how this will play out. Humans will be crushed by Big Data and you will eventually have more artificial virtual brains than you have real brains. These brains will eventually become smarter and more intelligent than humans. You can have 7 billion humans and 100 billion virtual brains.

One of these brains will be able to go through 500 million tweets in a day and make connections that humans couldn't make in a lifetime.

Where does this leave us? Eventually evolution will kick in because we're creating a new species of intelligent machines. So might end up as some kind of Borg race connected to this superintelligence.

I think it will be better than it sounds because while our bodies may be under the control of superintelligence our minds will be in virtual reality simulations where we can be Presidents, billionaire real estate moguls or the Pope.

I just don't see how this is avoidable unless there's a nuclear holocaust or a pandemic that kills us off. I was just reading where AI in Japan passed a College Entrance exam. You have AI's learning how to play video games and they were never taught how to play.

An AI Program in Japan Just Passed a College Entrance Exam

An artificial intelligence program received such high scores on a standardized test that it’d have an 80% chance of getting into a Japanese university.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the program, developed by Japan’s National Institute of Informatics, took a multi-subject college entrance exam and passed with an above-average score of 511 points out of a possible 950. (The national average is 416.) With scores like that, it has an 8 out of 10 chance of being admitted to 441 private institutions in Japan, and 33 national ones.

gizmodo.com...

Researchers say this is the most impressive act of artificial intelligence they have ever seen

It’s probably been a while since you picked up an Atari controller, but even if you played for decades, you probably couldn’t beat Google’s DeepMind artificial intelligence program.

While a program that plays video games might seem gimmicky, artificial intelligence researchers (AI) have told Tech Insider over and over again that it’s one of the most impressive technology demonstrations they have ever seen.

DeepMind made big news back in February 2015, when researchers announced it could learn to play and win games on the Atari 2600 — a simple console that was popular in the 1980s — without any instructions or prior knowledge of how to play video games.

The program watched its own gameplay and learned how to win all by itself. It also had a “reward” system so it knew when it was improving at gameplay.

The computer beat all human players in 29 Atari games, and performed better than any other known computer algorithm in 43 games.

www.businessinsider.com.au...

Here you have a program that can learn to play games without any prior instruction. I can just hear Joshua from the movie War Games saying "Shall we play a game?"

edit on 17-11-2015 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Simple solution.

Don't use facebook

Problem solved, world saved.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
DP

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I think the humans will trust the digital beast and do whatever it tells them. They will slowly get lazier and lazier and lose the faculty for critical thinking.

Human critical thinking will eventually be seen as the enemy. It will become politically incorrect to think for oneself. Critical thinking sure is an enemy of any authoritarianism. Really they are saying that anyone who criticises the official version is a conspiracy theorist. We who continue down this path of not accepting just the official version will end up being the enemy. Mean while all the people we refer to as sheep will be plugged in and happy with the Borg collective and behave as they are told with minds turned to pulp by the trite Kardashian banality of media mind spam.

I would rather be dead than a facebook whore, lol. It is a fate worse than death. Yes, you are seeing how it will go. Already the single human voice has been crushed beneath every wave of mass knee jerk reaction. I am drawn to remembering how the crowd could be so easily bought and steered to cry "Crucify Him" about Jesus. Such is the nature of the human mob mentality. I fear the mob more than the authorities because they can now be so easily and completely controlled by the authorities through media. They are shown what they are required to see and they are told what they are required to think about it, too. They have a lean miseducation which does not teach proper practical skills of critical analysis. Dumbed down and dictated to, and they dress that up as freedom and democracy. Appearance and reality!

edit on 17-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
Simple solution.

Don't use facebook

I am with you. I already am actively not using Facebook or any other social media. ATS is all of the online excitement I can handle.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I don't see cyber technocracy of this tier explained by the OP being reached and exposed in 10 years.

What I'd be more concerned about is Big Brother accessing information about you at a drop of a dime. Theyll be able to find where you are and where you are mostly likely headed at all times. Remember that passwords are saved. They'll be able to keep your income on tabs and practically your entire lifestyle on surveillance.

They pretty much have already reached this. If Facebook is lucky, they'll be able to compromise the internet in 10 years and have you use Facebook in order to use certain services on the internet.

The internet is slowly but surely coming under corporate control and the freedom of the internet will be no more. We'll have the illusion of freedom as we do in the real world.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This sounds like a fancy Siri or the similar app on my android phone. I can find what or who an image is in seconds with tineye.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: eXia7
Simple solution.

Don't use facebook

I am with you. I already am actively not using Facebook or any other social media. ATS is all of the online excitement I can handle.

You and I are much the same.

Facebook always seemed like a complete waste of time to me. I always looked at it like this: If I want to be in touch and, stay in touch with someone...I will and, would stay in touch.

Otherwise, you are not that important to me and not worth the waste of my time.

Just my opinion.

edit on 17-11-2015 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

AI can do vast calculations with relative ease, and outperform humans in any test of reasoning, yet a toddler has better perception, awareness and mobility. It's called the Moravec's paradox. In other words, we can end any AI Borg race by simply pushing them over.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Yet a computer could stop your debit card and starve you. Our reliance on digital transactions is almost 100% already. Is this not a sure sign of who is dependent on who?

Revelation 13:17; "so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name."

I keep being pulled back to this prophesy and that somehow the digital cashless society will eventually involve some kind of pledge of allegiance and actual bodily hooking up to the mainframe or "beast".

Look how quickly this stone is rolling! How quickly technology is evolving. Think 100 years ago and think one hundred years ahead! I really dread to think how our humanity is going to be sabotaged and metamorphosised into some kind of battery for this digital "beast".

edit on 17-11-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Facebook is a complete and utter fools errand. I see too many fools using it whenever they have a free moment, some to the exclusion of all else.

Once Suckerburg (sp. intended) starts charging these sheep for access three things are going to happen:

1) Suckerburg will get filtier rich
2) Users will suffer the same withdrawal pains that a smoker, drinker or drug user faces
3|) |They will pay their fees wo keep from going without

Total fools to the end.
edit on 17-11-2015 by Cynic because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2015 by Cynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
One specific aspect of this is the facial recognition that Facebook uses to tag people in photos. It has performed better than humans in recognizing faces during testing. This is how come you can now click on a face and it asks you if you want to tag the person by name. This is, of course, the sense of vision.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cynic
Facebook is a complete and utter fools errand. I see too many fools using it whenever they have a free moment, some to the exclusion of all else.

Once Suckerburg (sp. intended) starts charging these sheep for access three things are going to happen:

2) Users will suffer the same withdrawal pains that a smoker, drinker or drug user faces

Total fools to the end.

Forgive me if I missed this tid bit of info but, is FB considering charging for access to the site?

If so, you are probably right about the withdrawal pains. I know way too many people that spend entirely TOO much time on that crap!

They would be lost without it.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I do believe you’re right on the money about this, neoholographic. I’ve made many posts about this very thing, but I think people just shrug it off and figure I’m probably wacko. And maybe they’re right, but it just seems so inevitable considering how things are unfolding. It’s like our fate is sealed and there’s not a damned thing we can do to change it. Like it or not, here it comes...

There are definately challenging times ahead on a number of levels. As it relates to this thread, I can see two major developments that will change, or possibly eliminate, humanity entirely. One development will be the creation and rise of intelligent machines. The other involves the evolution of our species.

The first major development (intelligent machines) is already well underway, and is advancing rapidly. It’s now considered a conservative projection that by the year 2045 machine intelligence will match human intelligence. Beyond that it goes quickly off the scale as machines grow smarter at an exponential rate. And by smarter I don’t mean necessarily sentient, or “feeling”. I seperate the qualities of sentience from intelligence. In certain ways, I think a machine with feelings may be a drawback - it would be susceptible to the same traps humans fall into. Either way, whether we create an invaluable companion for the good of mankind, or we create a Frankenstein monster, is yet to be determined.

In tandem with the development of smart machines is the 2nd major development. And this one is even more critical to us humans. Our species is on the verge of a major, fateful transformation; the last time such a transformation took place, humans branched off from the apes on the evolutionary tree. And now, ready or not, the time has come for the next new branch. The branch that will one day look back upon us in much the same way as we look upon the apes. The new branch (Transhumanists) will no longer follow the old rules of evolution and natural selection; it will invent it’s own rules and determine it’s own destiny. It will begin as a human/machine hybrid, but may over time become more machine than human.

Aside from the desire to better ourselves with stronger, more functional and resilient body parts and organs, we also don’t want the machines to become so much more intelligent than ourselves as to become a threat. Many (probably most) people will not be too keen on the idea of being subjugated to a machine with 10,000 times their intelligence. So, we’ll attempt to augment our intelligence. This may be accomplished both genetically and artificially (chips in the head, or whatever). This could work fine for awhile, but I’ve read that it may be that our biology will impose limits on just how far we can take these approaches. Our brains can only accomodate so much. In which case the machines may have the upperhand and will inevitably overshadow us. With this being our fate, our only remaining option may be to join our machine friends in their world. Kiss Nature’s experiment with Humanity goodbye..End of book..and “Hello” to the New World.

I don’t imagine all this taking place in our lifetimes, but it’s well underway. I don’t really think most people at this point have seriously considered just where this is all leading. Most of us are too wrapped up in “today” and don’t give much thought to the future. It may begin to take on a more serious aspect when folks start losing their jobs in mass. It’s just Human to not deal with a possible disaster until it’s blowing the front door down.

It’s hard to put a time-frame on all this, but from much of what I’ve read the next 100 years should be quite eventful and telling. In any case, humanity is quickly approaching a crossroads, and there will be critical decisions to be made. The stakes couldn’t be higher, and depending on the choices we make, it could very well determine the fate of mankind.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: netbound

Good points and when you think about what's available for public consumption, you know they have some things that they don't show to the public that are fascinating. This is why companies like Facebook and Google keep buying up these "secretive" deep learning companies.

When you think about it, we have an AI program that's close to the war games scenario. It's things like this we have to watch out for. One researcher called it dumb AI. In other words it's smarter and more intelligent than we are but it doesn't have the ability to reason or know the difference between different things.

So you can have an AI program like the one that learned how to play Atari games with no instructions learn how to play war games against Russia. They've basically built a program that gets a reward as it gets better at playing the game. So you just upload this program into a supercomputer to play war games and it gets it's reward when it learns how to beat Russia.

You can take it even further. Say you equip a drone with this AI program and say it gets a reward when it kills the target. You then upload all of the information about the target. At this point, all the AI cares about is getting the reward. So it can learn that if it kills the targets family then that will draw out the target and then it can get it's reward.

Again, this is Terminator AI. It just wants it's reward. So killing people might just be a means to an end.

You can imagine this program playing a game where they get a reward after they have killed all humans. You now have this program that's smarter and more intelligent than we are with a blind goal to kill all humans in order to get a reward.

On the flip side, this could work in our favor because we can give a program like this all sorts of tasks. Instead of having all of the blowhards meeting in Paris about Climate Change, just tell the AI program it gets a reward when it learns how to stop Global Warming. You would have to be careful with a program like this and word your reward correctly. Figure out how to stop global warming without killing any humans and you get a reward.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Whats a facebook .

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

originally posted by: Cynic

Total fools to the end.

Forgive me if I missed this tid bit of info but, is FB considering charging for access to the site?

If so, you are probably right about the withdrawal pains. I know way too many people that spend entirely TOO much time on that crap!

They would be lost without it.

No, they aren't charging for it.
Yet.
I only bring it up because IF they do start charging for it, the hapless addicts will do anything to get their fix.
Think the plot of the James Bond flick, Live and Let Die.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yeah, you’re right on many counts.

You know quite well that the military (DARPA) is working feverishly to replace soldiers in the field with autonomous killer robots. And eventually it will happen.

Every technology is a double-edged sword. It wouldn’t take much code to turn a sweet, loving bot into a bristling, savage beast. Just think of the damage ISIS could do with the help of a few goal-seeking, superintellegent machines.

Nice thread...

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Cynic

Or think Myspace, they messed with it and boom everyone went elsewhere...
To facebook.

I like Facebook for the fact a lot of Authors have pages, you can comment on their works, maybe even have a little debate, not the likes of Steven King more non fiction.
Most people I know are wise and barely post anything of any information value, some do.
Facebook is just like the internet, you have to learn how to use it..and that kinda comes in time.

posted on Nov, 17 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

So might end up as some kind of Borg race connected to this superintelligence.

That's exactly what is happening, and resistance is futile.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join