It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

social justice in colleges explained

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

There is a big difference between real SJW's and buffoons who try to fight a cause that most people couldn't give two #s about.

Nothing wrong with fighting for social justice is there? In principle? At its root?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
I need a bigger safe space, the privacy of my own home is not enough.

Bully proof windoooows...

Troll safe doooors...

In my safe spaaaaace.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Safe where nobody can challenge my opinion.

*safety dance*

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Ahh but is it not getting a bit one sided now? Listening to the madness going on in the "institutes of higher learning' could lead some to believe that not all topics are allowed. American society is suffering from Stockholm syndrome from all of the special interest groups standing on their soapbox's. This group wants to be treated "equally" by elevating their wants over the larger needs of society. All that matters is the injustice done to them and lets not look at all at their contributions to the problem. The only people who really make out are lawyers [who can find a way to make $$$ off the actual suffering of others] and politicians[who have a large segment of lawyers in their midst and court the votes of these groups by promising them a larger share of the pie that is supposed to be shared by all]. These kids in college have very little idea of real injustice. But hey it could have nothing to do with feeding the egos of these kids by having them think that they are "making a difference".

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I'm execising my right to call them idiots.

Cool, and that is certainly your right. Just like I have the right to sigh exasperatedly every time I see another thread complaining about PC activities.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

Until someone is getting arrested or fined by the government for saying something, we haven't gone too far.

Saying we've gone too far, says that something should be done about it. Do you agree with limiting someone's 1st Amendment right to complain about someone being insensitive?
edit on 13-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Doesn't sound like something I should be afraid of ... In fact, it sounds pretty good to me. Why am I hearing this phrase used as an insult?

I agree, [e] To Rawls, social justice is about assuring the protection of equal access to liberties, rights, and opportunities, as well as taking care of the least advantaged members of society.[/e]

But what if you use this as a weapon. I look at the young man that went on a 8 day hunger strike that ended up with the university president and others stepping down. He had been going to that school for 8 years and whose fathers makes about 8.5 million per year. He complained that he lost his cheap health care, but the school said it was due to Obamacare that he needed to sign up for. After all said and done the college is now paying out of pocket for his health care due to the social justice he has endured...

Give me a great.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

So after 8 years he has doctor in front of his name right?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: hangedman13

Until someone is getting arrested or fined by the government for saying something, we haven't gone too far.

Saying we've gone too far, says that something should be done about it. Do you agree with limiting someone's 1st Amendment right to complain about someone being insensitive?

I don't agree with limiting anyone's first amendment rights, but this OP was never about that and you are just deflecting from the topic. "Social Justice' is Lib speak for white guilt. Conservatives know this and Liberals pretend it isn't true.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: Bluntone22

There is a big difference between real SJW's and buffoons who try to fight a cause that most people couldn't give two #s about.

Nothing wrong with fighting for social justice is there? In principle? At its root?

No, there's nothing wrong with fighting for social justice.
What's wrong is that parents don't scrape and save and sacrifice to send their kids to College to be daily harassed and harangued about social justice. They send them to get an education that will hopefully translate into a decent paying job and some quality of life. They don't send them to College or University only to see the kids education daily disrupted by demonstrations and protests that only serve to create a hostile environment that's antithetical to actually LEARNING SOMETHING USEFUL!

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

So you're saying one probably shouldn't get a degree in [insert here] studies?

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Xtrozero

So after 8 years he has doctor in front of his name right?

I think he is a rich brat that is a professional student, and who is working on his 15 minutes of fame. I would love to hear from his parents about all this.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod
Seeing as I've seen you have this discussion NUMEROUS times before on this site it would be somewhat embarrassing if you really didn't know exactly what is meant by "social justice" in this specific context.

That is 100% not true! I have seen people toss out the term "social justice warrior" but it sounded like a new buzzword and I didn't know what it meant until I looked it up TODAY, prompted by THIS THREAD.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I never heard it until they felt they needed to censor entertainment. (video games)

And 99% of the time they aren't truly seeking justice.

Whatever happened to voting with our dollars?
edit on 13-11-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Doesn't sound like something I should be afraid of ... In fact, it sounds pretty good to me. Why am I hearing this phrase used as an insult?

Yeah, "social justice" sounds good.

But then, "Patriot Act" sounded better than "Screw your Constitutional rights." "Affordable Care Act" sounded better "Insurance Company Bailout Bill." "Affirmative Action" sounded better than "Pick a minority over the more qualified white or Asian person." "Immigration Reform" sounds better than "Amnesty." "Free Trade" sounds better than "Ship you job overseas." And "Final Solution" sounded better than "Genocide."

In today's highly politicized environment, words don't always mean what we think they mean.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You can call it what you want, but at the end of the day it is 100% legal and you have to deal with it anyways.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

It all comes down to diversity. Diversity through social justice.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

White male "guilt", indeed. Let's not forget that "social justice" is a cover for reverse sexism, too, unfortunately.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I guess you never heard of hate speech? That's an infringement on free speech that can land you in jail. Guess you're gonna ignore that one though, because you guys don't like true free speech if it infringes on your delicate emotional sensibilities. And to think that you accuse me of wanting to censure free speech when I'm simply pointing out the totalitarian tendencies of modern liberals.

We have gone too far because Western civilisation has become a rotting carcass. It is riddled with cancers and flesh eating demons.

Because of this misguided and self-righteous tendency of the West we have let muslims and their apologists run wild. And it is doubtful that our culture can survive this collission, Islam was made to conquer.. westerners have been suckled by their governments, we've been indoctrinated to be weak and worthless. In 20 years we'll be mired in civil wars and running street battles as muslim enclaves declare sovereignty and the state deploys military force to rein them in.

This tolerance will doom us all and liberals are to blame.. in the future revolutionary wars it will be open season on muslim collaborators. 90% of the military are conservatives, I predict not many liberals will survive the later unity wars.. the human aliens play favorites too. I'm down with the green ones so you can hardly accuse me of being a racist.

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Ok, I believe you. I just thought you would have connected the dots anyway if you really saw the video. I mean, SJW topics has been all the rage on the internet in general this whole year. Ah well, doesn't matter..

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join