It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lights in the sky above LA

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: somnum

Not exactly an explosion. But yes, the cloud would expand to a very great size, becoming thinner and and fainter and fainter as it did so. Just like it did.
edit on 11/8/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

My point is that at space based altitudes to me it seems there wouldn't be enough material to cause that kind of haze. The people in the video also reported that they felt the object was close. What close is might be a matter of debate but it's not space.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg

originally posted by: game over man
a reply to: Zaphod58

1000's of UFO sightings occurred before the internet and people reported them. I've never heard of a famous old time UFO report being explained as a rocket/missile. Never. Usually Chinese lanterns, swamp gas, Venus, cloud phenomenon, ball lighting, mirage, plane, helicopter, etc...the cliche ones always listed on ATS.

Boasting of your ignorance is a tricky way to promote a point of view. Rocket launchings, fuel dumps, reentries, and other activities have sparked major UFO reports around the world for decades. How many examples do you want?

Which one those examples, explains a famous UFO sighting? In what way did I say something ignorant? What I said is the truth. You are agreeing with me that I stated there have been 100's of UFO sightings. You don't agree with the rational explanations I listed? I've never heard of a famous UFO sighting being debunked as the examples you mentioned. Please share a link or source.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: somnum

My point is that at space based altitudes to me it seems there wouldn't be enough material to cause that kind of haze. The people in the video also reported that they felt the object was close. What close is might be a matter of debate but it's not space.

DELETE SNOTTY PHRASE Listen carefully TO AVOID SOUNDING -TOO- MUCH LIKE A ^^^^^ .

Hazy clouds have been observed from rocket burns and fuel/water dumps in space for decades, and nobody had to ask your approval.

"Close" is not a matter of 'debate', it is a parameter to be measured, and what people 'felt' has zero relevance to the actual value -- worse, making wild-ass guesses about lights in the sky is one of the recipes for useless 'UFO reports'. Witnesses -- pilots in particular -- have 'guessed' objects were 'close' when they've been tens, even hundreds of miles away, again and again and again.

Example -- Eighty years ago, a meteor expert described how airplane pilots reports of meteors were worthless.
In a brief 1936 paper, Harvey Nininger poked fun at the meteor observing skills of pilots.
adsabs.harvard.edu...

edit on 8-11-2015 by JimOberg because: avoid provoking somnium, who might become a friend someday

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Why would it be that bright when it when there was no sunlight though,what would cause the reflection?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg

a reply to: Zaphod58

1000's of UFO sightings occurred before the internet and people reported them. I've never heard of a famous old time UFO report being explained as a rocket/missile. Never. Usually Chinese lanterns, swamp gas, Venus, cloud phenomenon, ball lighting, mirage, plane, helicopter, etc...the cliche ones always listed on ATS.

Boasting of your ignorance is a tricky way to promote a point of view. Rocket launchings, fuel dumps, reentries, and other activities have sparked major UFO reports around the world for decades. How many examples do you want?

Which one those examples, explains a famous UFO sighting? In what way did I say something ignorant? What I said is the truth. You are agreeing with me that I stated there have been 100's of UFO sightings. You don't agree with the rational explanations I listed? I've never heard of a famous UFO sighting being debunked as the examples you mentioned. Please share a link or source.

Thanks

Glad to oblige. Soviet UFO flaps were almost all caused by top secret military missile and space tests – so naturally the US CIA wanted to see all such accounts!
www.jamesoberg.com...

(post by somnum removed for a manners violation)

link   

originally posted by: cosmicgypsy

Why would it be that bright when it when there was no sunlight though,what would cause the reflection?

Sunlight.

link   
a reply to: cosmicgypsy

It was high enough that there was sunlight. The sun had just set before the launch. Go high enough, and there's still sunlight.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Please share a link or source.

I did. Here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Here's a rather notorious one.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starling
Why is this thread under the 'Aliens & UFOs' category?
I would have thought the 'World War 3' category would have been more appropriate...

Reasonable question.

I'd urge leaving it here awhile longer because we can assess how well -- or poorly -- many witnesses reported the motion of the apparition, and generalize to how accurate similar descriptions could be, or not, of similar apparitions in the past. Space and rocket activity IMHO provides an enormously valuable touchstone for calibration and characterization of eyewitness perception of certain kinds of events.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The discussion has splintered and I've lost track -- if anybody has a question to me still pending please show consideration for the geezer and repeat it.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Ok, do we know what height that was at and where it was relative to the filming?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

That's a really good idea. Our government definitely knows how to track cell phone and email activity. I bet they did.

ETA: Even if they notified the enemy they were going to do this...
edit on 8-11-2015 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Pretty much so, yes:
This guy put quite a bit of work into pinpointing the location.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

But knowing a typical flight profile for an ICBM, it's pretty standard.
w3.uwyo.edu...
edit on 11/8/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I can imagine fake orders going out on enemy communications. Maybe someone getting a call from a virtual commander using samples of their voice and a sort of AI driven "conversation" about conflicting orders or whatever.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
If there was prior notice of the test was given to international partners, why wouldn't news agencies have spread the word to the public?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Where was the ISS in relation to this event? Could they see it from space and take photos/video if they were in the right position?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Exactly...so they told Putin and asked him not to leak the info to RT? If he did do that and spoil the event, then what would the US do?

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join