It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the usefulness of a million galaxies ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Utilitarianists often say things like "why do you do this ?", "what is it useful for ?", "why do you waste your time ?". And to them I would ask the question "what is the usefulness of a million galaxies ?". If they can't give a satisfactory answer to that question, it means I have no reason to answer their utilitarian questions. Utilitarianists often have mediocre preoccupations, usually revolving around money, social status etc, and have very short term vision. Digging deeper is not their cup of tea as it doesn't grant them immediate rewards. For them, philosophy is a waste of time.

Surely, if you can't find any usefulness/signification to a million galaxies, how can you even pretend that your own acts have any signification ? Unfortunately, the world is filled with utilitarianists which makes it a bland and boring place. The human world has become an utilitarian machine which not only treats humans as utilitarian cogs, but also other animal and plant lifeforms : utilitarian wars that slaughter millions of humans and utilitarian slaughterhouses that slaughter millions of other animals.

We already live in a dystopia, and as often the horror of reality surpasses fiction.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

"All in all, Hubble reveals an estimated 100 billion galaxies in the universe or so, but this number is likely to increase to about 200 billion as telescope technology in space improves..."
Link to Space.com article

Philosophy is breath, and utilitarianism is heartbeat.
Overdoing either will do you no good, yet you cannot live well without either.
edit on 5-11-2015 by ADAMandEVIL because: teribul gremmer

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The utility of billions of galaxies is to maximize the emergence of life.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
Utilitarianists often say things like "why do you do this ?", "what is it useful for ?", "why do you waste your time ?".

Really? They do? Who said such a thing and when did they say it?

I don't think that word means what you think it means. In fact, it's not a real word at all and technically doesn't mean anything. You've built yourself a Straw Man there. Not very impressive. You made the whole thing up.

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
There's that one cell in your foot going - "What's the point of all these billions of cells around us?"

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

We'll never finally have a very good space war unless we can get a lot of different types of advanced civilizations up and running.
It will take a long time to raise these civilizations from animals discovering fire to animals hyper-skipping between five dimensional planes to enter a super gas cloud thunder dome in their 2038 Honda Lightwing Galaxy Pro. And then they have to still be the first ship to launch their laser volley and take out the sentry. Otherwise, game over and another player moves onto center stage.

It takes a long time, like 250,000 years for a civilization to get to this level, so they make sure they have plenty of options and billions of galaxies have been placed throughout the available bandwidth domain area.

We on Planet Earth residing in the southern arm of the Milky Way Galaxy are a little behind schedule and may not make it in time for Opening Night on September 22 2040.

We'll see. Tigers? check. Bears? check. Pirates? -

edit on 5-11-2015 by NowWhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
@What is the usefulness of a million galaxies ?

Possible learning nurseries for expanding CREATOR Creation energy forms to grow and learn within before they Ascend & have access to more objective reality settings that may require a more developed, intelligent and matured consciousness...

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

u·til·i·tar·i·an

u·til·i·tar·i·an [yoo tìllə térree ən]
adj
1. believing value lies in usefulness: relating to, characteristic of, or advocating the doctrine that value is measured in terms of usefulness
2. practical: designed primarily for practical use rather than beauty

n (plural u·til·i·tar·i·ans)
believer in utilitarianism: a believer in the doctrine of utilitarianism

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

As to the premise of the OP...The galaxies are the macrocosm of our microcosm...they are the children of the Universe and the collective of souls with a direct correlation and magnetic attachment to each other, just as the souls are on this planet.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Is it required that a million galaxies require a usefulness or is the idea auto self reflexive? The usefulness is in that uselessness.
You can't use a galaxy, at any rate.
There are more grains of sand of beach than stars in creation and yet each one contains infinite galaxies of particles more subtle than our own multiverse. So It's galaxies, galaxies: useless, useless all the way down.
edit on 5-11-2015 by cryptic0void because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I never thought about it.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Surely, if you can't find any usefulness/signification to a million galaxies

Ooo, ooo, [raising hand] I have an answer to the significance of millions of Galaxies - we live for an eternity, we need that many. Would you like to spend an eternity on 4 planets???

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

Ooo, ooo, [raising hand] I have an answer to the significance of millions of Galaxies - we live for an eternity, we need that many. Would you like to spend an eternity on 4 planets???

Which four?

WE have a choice of three others?

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
There is no "usefulness". Galaxies don't serve a purpose. They're just 'there'.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

The utility of billions of galaxies is to maximize the emergence of life.

That is only an opinion, and also not a satisfactory answer. It can be said that life in this universe doesn't matter and is just a by-product, just an accidental arrangement of matter. And it is suspicious to hear a lifeform say that the purpose of the universe is to breed lifeforms.

There is no objective answer to that question, therefore in the time being it is only logical to assume that there is no purpose to billions of galaxies.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
There is no "usefulness". Galaxies don't serve a purpose. They're just 'there'.

Exactly, therefore do you agree that if there is no purpose to a million galaxies, there can be no purpose to a million humans ?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   

That is only an opinion

If life itself is the very thing to value in the Universe then what I said is the foregone conclusion.

and also not a satisfactory answer.

I'm sorry my response was not to your satisfaction.

It can be said that life in this universe doesn't matter

It can be said. Is that your answer? We are giving answers and not opinions, right?...

There is no objective answer to that question

I suppose. I guess I'm a piss poor nihilist.

therefore in the time being it is only logical to assume that there is no purpose to billions of galaxies.

To me it seems quite evident on Earth that life makes its best attempt to emerge and to survive in all situations. As if the mechanisms in nature demand it. So yes, it's certainly my opinion that the nature of the Universe is to produce life in all its wondrous variations.

When coming from that basis, as I said, the utility of an astronomical [punny] amount of galaxies is to produce conditions conducive to the emergence of life.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   
the point of the whole thing
is to be the whole thing

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Life may be very resilient, but the truth is that 99.99999...% of the universe is hostile to life as we know it.

It's the story of the pond of water saying to itself "this hole in the ground fits me so perfectly, it must have been designed to receive me!", unaware that it is the water that adapts to the hole and not the contrary. So it may seem that the environment has been designed to receive life, but in reality it is life that emerges where and when it can.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: donktheclown

Which four?

WE have a choice of three others?

Mercury, Venus, And Mars...

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Life may be very resilient, but the truth is that 99.99999...% of the universe is hostile to life as we know it.

...life AS WE KNOW IT...

The Universe is not only more than we imagine...

The Universe is more then we CAN imagine...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join