It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombshell! Europe Drops Charges Against Edward Snowden, Offers Asylum And Protection

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: TrueBrit

Problem with us is he went beyond just exposing the domestic spying we needed to know about and started going into how we spy on potential enemys like Argentina which is exactly what they should be doing and at that point his actions became criminal as it potentially endangered our national security.

If he came here I would be 100% against extradition to the US but would see him stand before a UK jury and face UK punishment for what he exposed about our spying abroad to hostile nations.

The problem with a can of worms is once opened the good and the bad tend to all be exposed. Like I said in the opening post none of this stuff was new for it has been going on since before the 70s.
Snooping and spying might be allot easier now with cell phones and computers and their emails but when you are on the opposite side of the world and can listen to taxi cab drivers in N.Y. City even back before 1971 you have to figure the tech has gotten quite a bit better..

I personally get tired of a national security blanket thrown over any wrong doing a government does; any government.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Snowdon really had no reason to mention the Argentinian spying as it bared no relevance to the domestic spying
Scandal. He just threw it in there more as a screw you.

He should of been more careful.
edit on 3-11-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: GD21D

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
I must have conspiracy mush brains.

Snowdan leaks sensitive data about government spying from China. Flees to Russia who offers asylum. The world knows about the governments spying program and is OUTRAGED!

So much so, they pass legislation to make it legal without anyone batting an eye. They still have and use this technology and now they don't have to hide it. How nice for our overlords.

You do know that domestic spying was made legal wayyyyyy before Snowden ever released anything right?

It was called Enhanced Surveillance Procedures in the Patriot Act. Legalized right out in the open in 2001. Snowden did his thing in 2013, well over a decade later.

And the new technology that was brought forward by Snowden is in the public domain and accepted. You speak of one link, I speak on another but shackles are still shackles.

I remember the notion of armed drones in American skies as laughable, non-lethal or otherwise. Today beanbags and lasers, tomorrow tomahawk cruise missiles. But let's not split hairs.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

And the new technology that was brought forward by Snowden is in the public domain and accepted. You speak of one link, I speak on another but shackles are still shackles.

You seem to miss the point.

The technology and legal means were out in the open and accepted over a decade prior to his release of official documentation. Anyone even moderately up to date on what was being done had a pretty accurate idea of what was going on. The only thing missing was the "official procedures" on paper.

I remember the notion of armed drones in American skies as laughable, non-lethal or otherwise. Today beanbags and lasers, tomorrow tomahawk cruise missiles. But let's not split hairs

Splitting hairs is exactly what you're doing.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: GD21D

You seem to miss the point.

The technology and legal means were out in the open and accepted over a decade prior to his release of official documentation. Anyone even moderately up to date on what was being done had a pretty accurate idea of what was going on. The only thing missing was the "official procedures" on paper.

I remember the notion of armed drones in American skies as laughable, non-lethal or otherwise. Today beanbags and lasers, tomorrow tomahawk cruise missiles. But let's not split hairs

Splitting hairs is exactly what you're doing.

If you say so....

The patriot act didn't allow for roaming wire taps without court order. It still required approval if even still just a rubber stamp. From the inaction of the Patriot Act to present day they rights of Americans continue to be watered down. Each step and each disclosure dilutes the freedoms further until the idea we ever had a right to privacy seems like a folk lore.

I think we can just agree to disagree.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
CIA runs Russia too and would have killed him by now if he wasn't a disinfo agent.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Come on out, buddy. A nice tour of Europe would be wonderful right about now.

Stuttgart's real pretty in winter. I think a Christmas tour of Stuttgart would be a nice break. Come visit. They'll leave the light on for you.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

They'll leave the light on for you.

Yes all night as part of your interrogation, surrounded by tough guys in black fatigues and masks.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Sounds like a ruse to lure him in to Europe so someone in an American alphabet agency can snag him. I wouldn't trust the lap dogs of America at this point.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
This is pretty big news, good for Europe! Although he might still be safer from arrest, capture and assassination in Russia. I noticed that the votes were close, too...
edit on 03pmTue, 03 Nov 2015 14:06:45 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I think people forget...

Snowden isn't wanted for the information he leaked...he's wanted is for the information he didnt !

edit on 11/3/2015 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

NOOOOOO, its a trap, dont doo it edward stay in russia. Even though people who whistle blowed in the past were granted a pardon, he can do alot more for the world staying where he is.

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I think people forget...

Snowden isn't wanted for the information he leaked...he's wanted is for the information he didnt !

Which is why he should stay in russia

edit on rd2015000000Tuesdayrd000000Tue, 03 Nov 2015 14:49:38 -0600fAmerica/ChicagoTue, 03 Nov 2015 14:49:38 -0600 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I bet he would meet an untimely demise at the hands of a refugee from Syria or another of the ME hell holes that the U.S. has wrought.

If he has any sense... he'll stay FAR away from the E.U.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

originally posted by: trifecta
He would be crazy to leave a safe haven. He would have an "accident", if he ever decided to live a normal life again.

He is supposed to be the one that has the inside information and the straight poop on who is who and what is what.

Has he forgotten who and what he is dealing with?

Why would he trust them?

If they give it to him in writing, why wouldn't he? Europe is far more likely to offer permanent asylum and hold to their word than Russia is. Not only can Putin not be trusted, but they only offered asylum on a temporary basis in the first place.

Which would you be more likely to trust? A hungry bear or a fed lion?

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Oh joy! Oh joy! I wonder if there is a Miss European Cupcakes pageant. If so, letting Edward go to Europe might put the frosting back on Miss Hawaiian Cupcakes . . . agenda.

Here she is. Does she still pine-apple for Edward?

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Off to Europe, right into the hands of EUCOM.
If he's safe and secure in Russia it would be wise to stay.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Its so unfortunate that many on ATS do not see Snowden for what he is.... A spook. Snowden was/is a PsyOp known as a "Limited Hangout" where we aren't really told anything new. Sure, we now have supporting documents, but most of us here have know that this sort of monitoring has taken place for years. IMO Snowden is a CIA plant. Look at who he went after; Keith Alexander and the NSA(also the Mil Intel). Also who hasn't he mentioned? John Brennan. Snowden is no hero. He is a fascist saying all of the right things. Those interested should look into the quote where he speaks of old people being so disabled because the American welfare state pays for them lay in hospital beds. Webster Tarpley did an excellent broadcast availble on youtube about Snowden as a limited hangout OP. Tarpley also points out that Julain Assange is also a limited hangout op. Search: "Webster Tarpley Snowden Limited Hangout" on YouTube if you're interested. Also Dave Emory(spitfirelist.com) has some excellent programs about Snowden.(Emory calls him "Eddie the Friendly Spook") While I do not always agree with Tarpley or Emory I certainly respect their perspective and intelligence. They have much to offer as food for thought.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: s3cz0ne

People don't seem to remember social media poster TheTrueHOOHA (Edward Snowden). Go to this link and get a belly full of him.

arstechnica.com...

To me, Snowden very much resembles a Lee Harvey Oswald for the 21st century, in other words a new and improved (though still transparent) effort by the CIA to insert a penetration agent into Russia. I don't think for a moment that the Russians are fooled by him, but evidently a lot of people on ATS are.

edit on 3-11-2015 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Thank you for this. Honestly it could very well be as you suggest, but at least this time they went through the effort of developing the character. His interviews make quite clear that Snowden was a supporter of what his organization was doing until he witnessed govt officials outright lying to the American people and congress. He said he was there reviewing all the documents that were available to him and it started really getting to him.

Could you also be suggesting that he might not have supplied 100% legit docs? That would also be a possibility.

However the numerous other prestigious intelligentsia working in state secrecy that were destroyed for opposing programs like those exposed by Snowden make me question the intent of such release if it were a psyop.

-FBB

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Before we get too exited, I found another source.

The vote is not legally binding, but constitutes a symbolic landmark, and could indicate a sea change in attitudes towards Snowden at the highest level of European politics.

Not legally binding. This is a decision made by the elected body of the E.U.

The non elected element of the parliament, I.e The Commissioners, have all the power, it's scandalous.

www.thejournal.ie...

This!
It doesn't mean diddly squat.

Also, our US-puppet chancelor Merkel would hand him over in a heartbeat, and many others would as well. You can't even trust them as far as you can throw them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join