It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CISA Passed - Privacy Disappears Without the Slightest Fight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
CISA data-sharing bill passes Senate with no privacy protections
There was unanimous opposition to the bill across the tech industry.

CISA, the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act (S. 754), will allow private companies to share cyber-threat data with the federal government, including personal user data, in an effort to prevent cyberattacks, such as those on the scale of Target, Home Depot, and Sony. Companies that share data with federal agencies, including the National Security Agency (NSA), will be given legal and liability protections from lawsuits relating to data sharing.

I haven't seen this posted here anywhere and I find it weird that it wasn't mentioned on any newscasts I've watched in the last week. I guess it was bound to happen as they've tried to pass these zombie bills time and time again and eventually the people would be distracted enough and lose sight of one of them. I find it sickening that the "representatives" don't listen to the experts in the respective fields and more importantly their constituents that have been vehemently opposed to these internet bills from the start.

"The passage of CISA reflects the misunderstanding many lawmakers have about technology and security. Computer security engineers were against it. Academics were against it. Technology companies, including some of Silicon Valley's biggest like Twitter and Salesforce, were against it," said Jaycox.

Greg Nojeim, senior counsel at the Center for Democracy & Technology, said the bill is a "huge step backwards for privacy rights."

"Now, more personal information will be shared with the NSA and with law enforcement agencies, and that information will certainly be used for purposes other than enhancing cybersecurity," said Nojeim.

I'm interested what ATSers think about this. It'd be nice to find out that I'm assuming that this is a bigger deal than I think it is. It just seems little by little we are giving up more and more in order to fight the boogie man...The cost-risk-benefit triangle doesn't really seem to add up properly there. Seems like we are giving a whole lot more than the risk warrants and benefiting a whole lot less than the cost we paid/gave.

You can see how all the representatives voted here - list of votes

Additional links:
What is CISA?
US Senate passes controversial CISA bill
EFF Disappointed as CISA Passes Senate
CISA Security Bill Passes Senate With Privacy Flaws Unfixed
edit on 27-10-2015 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
It's a piece of cyber security legislation...

I wonder what "freedoms" its protecting for us, given the slew of documents that have come forward showing just how far the NSA has gone to invade American's digital privacy?
edit on 27-10-2015 by MystikMushroom because: from to for. Doh!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Epirus

Anything Feinstein votes on...it's only true function is to line her pocketbook with your money.

We have gone far beyond the event horizon of the black hole that is cyber security. Game over.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Indeed, slim chance on closing the pandoras box which was opened years ago.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

"Now, more personal information will be shared with the NSA and with law enforcement agencies, and that information will certainly be used for purposes other than enhancing cybersecurity," said Nojeim.

This solidifies and verifies the fears and actualities that some of us are already having to be subject to. The more of these types of legislation that are enacted and passed, the less liberty that you have. When people have access to your private information, including text messages and phone calls, anything that you say can be bent out of context and become the interpretation of someone else's semantic perspective. Though this happens quite often among regular citizens with no consequence, but perhaps a common and mutual misunderstanding, with law enforcement and federal agencies that obey the rights of no citizens, now a misinterpretation will land you behind bars, or worse.
edit on 27-10-2015 by IlTuoFratello because: fixed external source presentation by removing "quotes"

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
It's not too late to fix it- we're not all dead yet.

Shut it down. Shut it all down.
We'd have to tear it up from the roots and start over.

Shame everyone who is in a position to fight already has their backs to the wall trying to keep up with financial problems- and anyone who isn't back to the wall is either freeloading and doesn't give a # or above the system and fighting FOR this sort of thing.

Goodbye, everyone- this will inevitably be the beginning of the end for freedom of speech.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I knew it!

I knew the government were going to cover a bill to pass that stripped another of your rights. Why?

Cause your government the last few weeks has brought up the notion of gun control again

Its a cover!

Yup while the government has you all clutching your guns and focusing on the 2nd amendment they strip all you other rights one by one.

Its like a doctor distracting a toddler with a lollipop why he sticks a jab into the arm.

Honnestly everytime your politicians bring up the notion of gun control they dont have any intention of implementing it. Just distracting you while they take another right away.
edit on 28-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Already a thread on this.. www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 28-10-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
That's rich. The legislation is designed to stop hacks like that of Sony, Target, etc.

Let me guess, the NSA had absolutely NOTHING to do with those hacks right?

Problem, reaction, solution. If a problem doesn't exist for your solution, create one. Easy peesy.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

It would not surprise me if it were revealed that most of those hackers were employed by the US government. Cyber Brownshirts.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Already a thread on this.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join