It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ivy League Proffessor and MSNBC Contributor Calls Dr. Ben Carson a "Coon"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I am curious, when she is not calling our peaceful neighbors demeaning, despicable names, has *Professor Anthea Butler ever addressed America's expanding and shameful *National Epidemic of Child Abuse and Neglect,* aka *Poverty*, that for decades has deprived untold numbers of depressed children from experiencing and enjoying a safe, fairly happy American kid childhood.

Is Professor Anthea Butler aware that child victims of America's expanding and shameful *National Epidemic of Child Abuse and Neglect,* aka *Poverty*, often develop into angry, frustrated, unpredictable, emotionally depressed teens and adults lacking empathy and compassion for their peaceful neighbors, because their lives suck so why shouldn't their neighbor's lives suck too!

Does Professor Anthea Butler recognize there is a substantial population of young immature teen girls and women creating life before acquiring the skills, PATIENCE and means to properly raise, nurture and supervise a developing young child who matures into a fairly happy teen and adult enjoying safe streets to play on or travel.

Is Professor Anthea Butler one of many highly educated Americans who hold blameless young immature teen moms for failing and emotionally harming their children...while the police, criminal justice and correctional systems are charged with protecting peaceful people from depressed, angry, frustrated, unpredictable teens and adults who were victims of EARLY childhood abuse and/or neglect at the hands of immature, impatient teen girls, young women and/or irresponsible men?

What is Professor Anthea Butler opinion of the May 2015 NYTimes article *Rise in Suicide by Black Children Surprises Researchers*
By SABRINA TAVERNISE

www.nytimes.com...

Has Professor Anthea Butler ever asked herself, "Who is responsible for physically and/or emotionally traumatizing children to the point young kids believe their lives are not worth living?"

Speaking At The Eulogy For The Honorable Reverend Clementa Pinckney, President Barack Obama asked:

*"Perhaps it causes us to examine what we’re doing to cause some of our children to hate?"* (Applause.)

www.youtube.com...

I am still waiting for Mr. Obama to provide the American people with an answer to his question.

Does Professor Anthea Butler share Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke's sound advice offered to all Americans, *"Fix the ghetto!"*?

#TakePrideInParenting
#EndChildAbuseNeglect
#ProtectKidsFromIrresponsibleCaregivers

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
That's an absolutely disgraceful slur, but Carson doesn't half talk some rubbish. Evolution being the literal work of the devil, the Big Bang being implausible etc. The man is a scientist.

I don't know if he's playing up to the dimmest bulbs in the auditorium, but he comes across as a bonafide idiot.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Do I think she should be fired over this, well common sense would tell me yes, but in the end it's up to her employer. She has every right to say what she said, but I doubt both MSNBC and UPENN want to be associated with the phrase, but who knows

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
Of course, it's okay if a "liberal" says it.

Well...not just a liberal, but a black liberal.

That's probably why there's zero backlash from upon high..because the racial slur is coming from a black Woman.

A bit like 'guyz in da hood' that go about calling each other certain racial names, that coming from a white person would be immediately seen as a racial slur...but black to black racism seems to be acceptable.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

That's probably why there's zero backlash from upon high..because the racial slur is coming from a black Woman.

A bit like 'guyz in da hood' that go about calling each other certain racial names, that coming from a white person would be immediately seen as a racial slur...but black to black racism seems to be acceptable.

Is it possible to be racist against your own race? Doesn't that sort of nullify the significance of the word racism?
edit on 9-10-2015 by atlscribe because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2015 by atlscribe because: typo

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Ya'll do realize that she was basically calling Carson an Uncle Tom, don't you?

In urban slang, when a black person calls another black person a coon, it means they think that person is selling out their black heritage to succeed in the white world. Uncle Tom is the old school term, coon is the new school term, but they mean the same thing.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: atlscribe

I would have thought so atlscribe.

That's why i posted what i said. Basically, there's no uproar because the 'racism' came from another black person.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Maybe we should all rush them before they can say anything else bad about Carson. *laughs*

I don't think what they said was appropriate but Carson is an idiot.

Idiot? I guess you aren't familiar with his work as a doctor. He is/was an absolutely brilliant neurosurgeon. Now, if you were only referring to him in a political manner, then please qualify your statement and preface it as such.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

How about if no one calls anyone anything? If nothing else, you'd think the faculty of an Ivy League school could set the bar for discourse higher. But apparently racial/political invective has no bounds.

For one side, anyway.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Maybe we should all rush them before they can say anything else bad about Carson. *laughs*

I don't think what they said was appropriate but Carson is an idiot.

That's cool, then you do what the rest of who think all politicians are idiots do. You attack the stupidity. His race isn't the reason he is an idiot just like Obama isn't an idiot because of his race, nor were any number of white or female politicians idiots because of that. They are just idiots. All of them. Well connected, normally wealthy, and dangerous because they deal with laws or potentially will affecting us all. But stepping back had this comment been made about a democrat it would have been a crap storm. It is what it is.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

How about if no one calls anyone anything? If nothing else, you'd think the faculty of an Ivy League school could set the bar for discourse higher. But apparently racial/political invective has no bounds.

For one side, anyway.

No one calls anyone anything? Isn't that a little too "politically correct"?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

In urban slang, when a black person calls another black person a coon, it means they think that person is selling out their black heritage to succeed in the white world. Uncle Tom is the old school term, coon is the new school term, but they mean the same thing.

You know you are messing up a perfectly good anti liberal/intellectual harangue, right?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

In my 50 years living in the South, I've never heard the word 'coon' used in the way you describe it. Maybe in different areas of the country, the definition is different. Here is the urban dictionary definition, which is consistent with my memory of the use of the word.

www.urbandictionary.com...

An insulting name for a black person. Similar to 'Nigger'

There are several examples listed of words related to coon. Uncle Tom is not listed and historically (at least from my memory and personal experience) the word is used mostly by white racist. I've never heard a black person use the word.

ETA The urban dictionary does describe a 'coon' as a sell out but more in the vein of stereotypical action, that is to say a black person that displays what white people say about blacks. Such as playing basketball, eating watermelon etc. My experience of the definition of an Uncle Tom has been more of a "well behaved" black person. Just my memories here and certainly falls into the category of opinion.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Khaleesi because: addition

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

No one calls anyone anything? Isn't that a little too "politically correct"?

I don't think it's too much to expect academicians working at the highest levels commenting publicly about political issues to keep that sort of commentary out of the conversation.

I personally don't confuse 'political correctness' with common courtesy and civility.

The hypocrisy of the leftist intelligentsia knows no bounds. Apparently.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

As I said in my ETA to my first post, my post certainly falls in the opinion category. I did look up 'Uncle Tom' and 'coon' in the urban dictionary. The only similarity they share per my source is they both refer to black people. If the younger generation has taken the word and changed it for their purposes, then that is what they have done. This professor is more of my generation and I think that is telling.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

Do you think the professor never hangs out or talks to young people?

I'm 55 and I have picked up a few of the current slang words that my 14-year-old uses. I may be middle-aged, but I'm hip on the new lingo.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Obviously she does have contact with young people since she is a professor at a University. My point is as someone closer to your and my generation, she knows how the word has been used in the not so distant past.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: atlscribe

originally posted by: MysterX

Is it possible to be racist against your own race? Doesn't that sort of nullify the significance of the word racism?

Different cultural groups treat tribalism differently. Its part of human nature. We are not all the same. Tribalism is a survival instinct and all the rainbow kumbaya sing alongs wont change that.

We cant talk about that though, people aren't being people, they are being irrational hate machines who need their subconscious rewired by legislation. Anything else would be in danger if making sense.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

she knows how the word has been used in the not so distant past.

Yeah, when it was said by white people. But she's not white, so obviously the meaning changes. Thirty or forty years ago, she probably would have said Uncle Tom, but she knows the current term (used by young people) is coon, so she used the current term. Maybe she thought most of her audience would be younger and would know exactly what she was referring to?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join