It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flock backs priest accused of pointing gun at Cowboys fan in Giants country

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The Rev. Kevin Carter -- pastor of St. Margaret of Cortona Church in Little Ferry, N.J. -- was arrested Friday and charged with aggravated assault and endangering the welfare of a child for pointing the firearm at the boy. Carter is expected to be arraigned Tuesday on the charges, which one witness called "fallacious." The move came after the Newark Archdiocese notified Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli on Sept. 28 that a parishioner at the church contacted the archdiocese about alleged incident, which had occurred 12 days prior.

Flock backs priest accused of pointing gun at Cowboys fan in Giants country

I cannot believe that people are defending this guy. It's not a joke, it's not all in good fun, and there's no misconception. You simply just do not point a weapon at someone. It's this kind of crap that makes responsible gun owners look like idiots. This is one instance in which I hope the court system throws the book at someone. It's simple firearm safety 101 stuff here.

The article goes on to say that it was a functioning civil-war era musket as if that is some kind of defense or excuse. It's just not. It's a firearm. And the safety rules still apply. This also sets a very bad example for the boy in that it's okay to point a weapon at someone because it's "all in good fun". There are no words for just how ignorant this guy was.

edit on 10/5/2015 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

"I am concerned about the young parishioner. I know he and his family came to the rectory on Sept. 13, to have good natured fun about the football game scheduled later that day. I also know that nothing that day put him in fear," said Carter, who is also a police chaplain. "I am concerned that these charges and their attendant publicity has potential for trauma for the child and his family."

This is some of the craziest stuff I have ever heard!!! People think it would be OK, normal even for a pastor to pull a 8 year old boy into a room by himself, stand him up against a wall, and then point a long gun at him!!!!!!

And is it just me or is he threatening the woman who had enough sense to turn him in????? Here is the quote

"I am also concerned about the parishioner who misinterpreted the event of Sept. 13," he added. "As her pastor, I do not want her to suffer any harm, and I ask all members of the parish to be loving to her and to share my concern for her."

I think this man has a TON of things he should be charged with. And to think that people are standing behind him and supporting him.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I don't care who you are or what you do.

NEVER muzzle someone unless they are getting ready to do something bad to you.

Like inflict bodily harm or worse.

And even then.

Be damn sure your life is being threatened.

And sure as snip not an 8 year old.

That's ranks up there with the ALL times things NEVER to do.

There is NO possible defense there.

NONE.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I am curious how those defending the priests actions would feel if the gun were pointed at them or one of their children. You never point a gun at anyone unless you are going to be using it.

Joke or not the decision was a bad one. What if this child gets the wrong idea and thinks its ok to point guns at people for fun? What if he does it and the person he points it at happens to be armed as well and not realizing its a joke?
edit on 5-10-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Father Kevin Carter asked to see him in one of the rectory rooms

That never ends well...

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

Father Kevin Carter asked to see him in one of the rectory rooms

That never ends well...

That reminded me of a clip from the British show Mock the Week and Frankie Boyle.

"It appears we have a streaker running through the church.... No no one of the altar boys has escaped the vestry".

Whatever the punishment may be there needs to be a requirement that this priest talk to the boy about the right and wrong ways to handle firearms and to reinforce that its not a joke.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

One of the first things on my mind was that this kid is going to believe pointing a gun at people is a laughing matter. I really hope his parents introduce him to a gun safety course soon. It's imperative he understand what that priest did was wrong and irresponsible.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
It sounds like (I may have misread the article) there is a question as to whether or not the gun was ACTUALLY pointed at the boy. If the priest was indeed just showing it to someone else and made a stupid joke without pointing the musket, I think it was a poor choice but blown out of proportion.

Fritzy claims he did not see Carter raise the rifle or threaten anyone.

Of course I don't believe this person completely, but I also don't automatically think the story is true. Some people have some crazy reactions if they see a gun, and blow it way out of proportion.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
We're discussing a collective organization which largely defended, or at least overlooked, decades of molestation of young boys by priests... is anyone really surprised they'd stand up to defend this jackass and his irresponsible actions?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Was it loaded?
No gun should ever carelessly or jokingly be pointed at someone, but there is a difference in the mindset between loaded and unloaded

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

I doubt it. It was a Civil War era musket, though they did apparently find gun powder and ammunition.

Even if it wasn't, it's no excuse. You don't point a gun at someone loaded or unloaded because you can never be 100% certain. I get what you're saying though, but there have been a lot of people killed by "unloaded" guns.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That's a good point. If they can get a pass for molestation, this doesn't even hit the radar.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
Was it loaded?
No gun should ever carelessly or jokingly be pointed at someone, but there is a difference in the mindset between loaded and unloaded

Rule #1: Treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded at all times.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Self censor! I beat you mods! The joke was a bit too much
edit on 0520151020151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I'm sure Reverend Carter didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
I am curious how those defending the priests actions would feel if the gun were pointed at them or one of their children. You never point a gun at anyone unless you are going to be using it.

Joke or not the decision was a bad one. What if this child gets the wrong idea and thinks its ok to point guns at people for fun? What if he does it and the person he points it at happens to be armed as well and not realizing its a joke?

Gun rights advocate here.

This is despicable, and unconscionable. He gets no sympathy from me, nor should he from anyone.

You can't point a gun at anyone unless your life is in danger! Even "in jest."

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: IridiumFlareMadness
Was it loaded?

Would it matter if it was pointed at you?

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

You sure he actually pointed it at the kid? I thought people were innocent before being proven guilty. Witness accounts contradict.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

No I'm not sure as I wasn't there.

Sounds like the witnesses you're talking about are trying to justify his actions, not deny them.

This was witnessed by several individuals that were standing outside of the room," the statement said. But the alleged assault has been called into question by other witnesses and Carter himself, who said the incident was nothing more than innocent "jesting" -- and who said he is concerned for the child's welfare in the wake of the arrest and publicity.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

The witness I'm talking about said he was able to watch the priest, and that he hadn't pointed the gun at the child, if my reading was accurate, and perhaps it wasn't.

It doesn't matter if ALL the witnesses agreed, we don't hang people in this country based off of allegations alone. ATS is getting worse about this with every "outrageous" story.

Trying a person in the media and on sites like ATS is a problem. You read something that gives a certain narrative, and you agreed with it without any real evidence.

We have moderators on this site essentially saying the person is guilty, without any shred of evidence.

Do you not get that people are innocent until PROVEN guilty? Claims to a news source don't make those claims valid, and they neither exonerate a person or prove their guilt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join