It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conservative Voter Suppression Plot Thickens

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
originally posted by: Spider879

I am very familiar with Alabama politics.
This has zero to do with voting, the closing of the Drivers License places.
It has to do with the budget.
Alabama, like many other states is struggling financially.
This is a strictly financial decision by the state.

Not smart as there are always horrendous lines at every
DMV in Alabama. I've never been at an AL DMV where the
wait was under 2-3 hours, even by appointment.
So, they are starting to allow people to renew their
licenses online, hoping to cut the lines and the
need for in person renewal of licenses.
www.dmv.org...

So it is financial
and it is renewals being moved to
online to shorten the lines and to
be able to do what all companies
who go online do, close "stores" and
cut personnel costs.

Nothing sinister here I can assure you.

Also, in Alabama you don't need any ID to register to vote
you don't even need proof of residency to register to vote
One can walk into any courthouse in AL and register to vote
with no proof of citizenship, no ID and no proof of residency.

You do need an ID to actually vote
but there are mobile ID vans
that run around the state:
www.alabamavoterid.com...

You can also get a FREE voter ID card in every county -
www.sos.alabama.gov...
and avoid the long lines at the DMV and get it free unlike a drivers license.

The information in the OP about the reasons
that DMV offices are being closed wrong.

Another example of the current political elite in power
doing their best to smear and tell lies
and cause more division in the country, as usual.

edit on 4Sat, 03 Oct 2015 16:28:47 -0500pm100310pmk036 by grandmakdw because: format addition

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Numerous counties and some state accept either photo I.D. or a drivers license to register to vote, even though citizenship is required by law.

Of course it depends on which party controls that state or county. In some cases, if I have this right, where some states have recently switched to the right, but the counties and local officials were appointed by earlier administrations, everything from dead people registered to multiple registrations have occurred.

I really don't know the particulars of the 'bama situation, but it's safe it some sort of counter move. Pretty convenient to have that many people lined up to get into a DMV and have the perfect picture taken....

Look, I don't doubt weirdness go on in both camps. I'm not a fan of any of it....

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Numerous counties and some state accept either photo I.D. or a drivers license to register to vote, even though citizenship is required by law.

Of course it depends on which party controls that state or county. In some cases, if I have this right, where some states have recently switched to the right, but the counties and local officials were appointed by earlier administrations, everything from dead people registered to multiple registrations have occurred.

I really don't know the particulars of the 'bama situation, but it's safe it some sort of counter move. Pretty convenient to have that many people lined up to get into a DMV and have the perfect picture taken....

Look, I don't doubt weirdness go on in both camps. I'm not a fan of any of it....

See my post above yours. No weirdness except for people who are trying to cause more hatred and division in the country, on purpose.

AL does not require any ID or proof of any kind to register to vote.

AL does require and ID to vote,
but anyone can get a FREE ID at any courthouse to vote
AND it has mobile vans running around the state
to get FREE voter ID's out to as many as possible.

A Driver's License is much harder to get in Alabama
and more expensive than a FREE voter ID.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

See my post above yours. No weirdness except for people who are trying to cause more hatred and division in the country, on purpose.

Ok I am being swayed "somewhat " by arguments that nothing sinister is taking place, however it demands watching, for if voting in those districts suddenly drops then the whole process need revisiting, 3yrs ago is not ancient history.
edit on 3-10-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Yeah I will remember this thread next time I go to my Ace hardware store to buy a firearm.

I am gonna say I don't need ID.

After all it's my constitutional right to buy one.

Topic like this exposes the EPIC cognitive dissonance.

The right to vote versus the right buy a firearm.

One it's verboten to ask for ID and is labeled 'suppression' to vote, but totally 'acceptable' for firearm purchasers.

Non sequitur is right.

Bet they ALL had ID to sign up for their government benefits though.
edit on 3-10-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw

Ok I am being swayed "somewhat " by arguments that nothing sinister is taking place, however it demands watching, for if voting in those districts suddenly drops then the whole process need revisiting, 3yrs ago is not ancient history.

Really, in every country in AL you can get a FREE voter ID
and there are vans (linked to above) that drive
around Alabama making FREE voter ID's for people.

It costs $36+ dollars to get a drivers license.
In Alabama the wait to get a drivers license is well over
2-3 hours for the initial drivers license.

The wait is less than half that for the FREE voter ID
available in every county.

How is Alabama discriminating by giving away FREE voter ID's
in every county plus sending out a mobile voter ID van?

Even before eliminating a few offices it was easier and cheaper
to get a FREE voter ID than a drivers license.

Alabama launched online drivers license renewal just recently;
that should cut the lines for drivers licenses dramatically
and as with all other businesses who automate,
make excess offices and excess personnel no longer necessary.

Honestly I see the links in the OP as pure propaganda
designed to tear the country further apart with
unnecessary lies in order to further the agenda and power of
those currently in power.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

If they can afford a smart phone ?

They can afford ID.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Yeah I will remember this thread next time I go to my Ace hardware store to buy a firearm.

I am gonna say I don't need ID.

After all it's my constitutional right to buy one.

Topic like this exposes the EPIC cognitive dissonance.

The right to vote versus the right buy a firearm.

One it's verboten to ask for ID and is labeled 'suppression' to vote, but totally 'acceptable' for firearm purchasers.

Non sequitur is right.

Bet they ALL had ID to sign up for their government benefits though.

True many here will balk at the thought of having an I.D for purchasing firearms a tool made for killing things, but will gladly go the route of I.Ds for everyone who want to participate in the peaceful control of or change of power.
The Ballot or the Bullet.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
You might need an I.D. to get an abortion too.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I personally want neither.

Although MORE people have suffered by the wrong choice at the ballot box.

Than anything else.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Pennsylvania Republican: Voter ID Laws Are ‘Gonna Allow Governor Romney To Win’
Perhaps if Reps didn't have a recent history of doing things like this your last paragraph I could agree with, but as you can see that is exactly what they are doing and these are not isolated incidences so excuse me for being alarmist.
thinkprogress.org...

Honestly I see the links in the OP as pure propaganda
designed to tear the country further apart with
unnecessary lies in order to further the agenda and power of
those currently in power.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

He must have been referring to illegal and ghost voters.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Ur funny, I like you but ...naaw

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   

fair enough...

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Ur funny, I like you but ...naaw

It's a "Chicago" thing.

posted on Oct, 3 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If in fact this is an attempt at voter suppression by the conservatives or if it is even given that perception; the minorities aren't stupid and this lame attempt will bite the Republicans in the ass as minorities band together and vote the racist out of office. This story has gone national and it won't do the conservative parties any favors. It's almost as if they are trying to lose by alienating so many voters.

Did you not post this story and get proven this is a complete non issue? Yet here you are again.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Yeah, those mean Republicans. Just like purging the voter roles in Kansas ... except if you look at the numbers, more Republicans than Democrats are being inconvenienced by having to prove their citizenship status and contrary to the common sob of them being poor folks in rural areas, almost all of them live in Johnson and Sedgewick counties, the two most populous.

And if they are too old to do it easily, provisions allow a relative to do it for them with proper documentation.

A lot of these are non-issues when you did down into them.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Why would voting drop due to the DMV closing?

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: olaru12
If in fact this is an attempt at voter suppression by the conservatives or if it is even given that perception; the minorities aren't stupid and this lame attempt will bite the Republicans in the ass as minorities band together and vote the racist out of office. This story has gone national and it won't do the conservative parties any favors. It's almost as if they are trying to lose by alienating so many voters.

Did you not post this story and get proven this is a complete non issue? Yet here you are again.

Yep, here I am again. So what? Is there some kind of time limit, censorship protocol, that I can't visit other threads and express my opinion.

Are you stalking me?

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The point is NOT whether or not they can afford it, the point is that access to voting for Citizens of the United States of America cannot legally be impeded or made an undue burden.

For some people, it would be an undue burden (which is illegal), and rather than deal with all the paperwork on that on a case by case basis States choose to make this free.

For voter ID to cost voters money, the application process would take considerable time, require financial information from each person applying which would then have to be vetted by the State - that is expensive and inefficient, therefore it could be sited as an undue burden in and of itself.) The $15 bucks or whatever they would charge would be far less than the expense of managing the paperwork.

- AB

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join