It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Predict a Riot ... Smoking will be banned in all prisons in England and Wales

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The idea has been floating around for some time but now the British government have announced that from next month smoking will be banned in the interior of all "open" prisons in England and Wales , this will be rolled out to all prisons in Wales from next year and four English prisons named as HMP Exeter, Channings Wood, Dartmoor and Erlestoke in March of next year with all 136 prisons adopting the policy at some point after the trials.

With the cuts to prison staffing levels implemented by the Tories and the rising prison population I see trouble ahead , you can take a mans liberty but don't dare take his smokes or there will be trouble.

Earlier this year, the Prison Governors Association said a smoking ban risked making jails more unstable.
Its new president, Andrea Albutt, said tobacco could become an illicit currency.
A smoke-free policy will be implemented in all prisons in Wales - Cardiff, Parc, Swansea and Usk/Prescoed - from January 2016, and at four English prisons - Exeter, Channings Wood, Dartmoor and Erlestoke - from March 2016.
The government eventually intends to ban smoking in all 136 prisons in England and Wales to reduce health risks - it is currently allowed only in prison cells and exercise yards.
The move follows a series of legal challenges by prison officers and inmates who have complained about the effects of passive smoking.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

lol banned for health risks, turn blind eyes to heroin.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
About time. Every country should have a no smoking policy in prison.
They should also remove any weight lifting equipment. Why should a violent felon be allowed to pump iron in prison and become massive? Give them treadmills and a basketball court for exercise.
They should also be required to read books and do book reports on them.

This is supposed to be about rehabilitation. That should start with smoking.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Wait, could become an illicit currency? Where has this person been?

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
My brother was recently incarcerated and he said that here in the US now some jails offer inmates E-cigs/vaporizers. I was blown away by that revelation but it makes sense. The commissary company must be making a killing. They even allow them to use tablets and charge them by the message sent/received.

I wouldn't even be worried about this as an inmate. The authorities haven't been able to stop drugs, alcohol , cell phones, and other contraband. This is a great opportunity for guards to make some extra cash.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22
I assume your not going to be the one enforcing the rules. So who is? You don't want all your prison guards resigning from their job, because enforcing such rules will lead to riots and possible death. No jobs worth risking your life for, unless it's extremely well paid which prison guards generally aren't.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
So they're starting this next year (2016) and looks like they hope to have it finished being put in place all over by the end of the year.

It should be fun to watch. The US and UK jail system is so different it'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

Not a chance in hell of that happening here since the Government is hoping to find someone to make a bad enough report on ecigs to get them it not banned, prescription only.....all in the name of our health of course...nothing to do with taxation....move along nothing to see here

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

No jobs worth risking your life for, unless it's extremely well paid which prison guards generally aren't

Exactly , morale in the service has been low for years this new policy could well put prison officers lives at risk , what seems like a good idea in Whitehall may not be such a good idea in the real world.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It should be about rehabilitation, but it's not. Not even close. It's the opposite. If you're not a criminal when you go in, you will be when you leave.
People need something to keep them from going insane behind bars. Try spending one night in jail.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
There won't be riots. Smoking was banned in prisons in New South Wales (Australia) recently, and there's been no riots or any other sort of trouble.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex I saw a documentary on strange ways prison riot in 1990. Having a bunch of violent prisoners take over a prison leads to a pretty desperate situation, best avoided if possible

edit on 29-9-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Instant black market. Know how much a smuggled pack of smokes will be worth?

Unlike drugs, cigs are legal at any corner market.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

HMP La Moye in Jersey has had a no smoking policy for years. However, once an inmate is in his Cell/Pad he can smoke in there or outside of the building in yards etc.
If they are thinking of banning smoking all together then that will cause issues, as someone rightly said Tobacco will become a black market item which has even more implications.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
As far as my give two #s list goes this is way way way down the bottom.

In the UK we have:
Out of control property prices
Mobs trying to break through the tunnel
A blocked and unreliable Channel tunnel due to the above
A out dated and inefficient public transport system.
Failing schools
Overloaded and failing Hospitals
Race tensions in the inner citys
High terrorist risks.
Erosion of civil liberty's.
Unsustainable Welfare
Under funded councils
Pedophile Politicians and Celebrities
A out of control EU bureaucracy gaining ever more control.
Loss of sovereignty.
Bankers who caused the 2009 mess still running riot in London
Russian oligarchs and Saudi Oil Barons up to there necks in dirty money owning half of London residential property playing with there tax free nom dom status .

After all the above am I really meant to give two #s about some criminals smokes?

edit on 29-9-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This won't happen all hell would break loose

Channings wood and earlstoke are cat c prisons meaning there cushy jails, a few of the lads from round my way have been there.

You get keys to you're cell showers when you want, phone in the cell ,satellite TV the lot!

Maybe their starting trails there because if there's a choice between smoking and all that I think I'd quit smoking

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Rise of the black market cig trade, hey bro, kiester these for your race!

Play your cards right you can get Playstation to help ease the boredom of time served.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: woodwardjnr

No jobs worth risking your life for, unless it's extremely well paid which prison guards generally aren't

Exactly , morale in the service has been low for years this new policy could well put prison officers lives at risk , what seems like a good idea in Whitehall may not be such a good idea in the real world.

Just shows you where governments are coming from half the time. I suggest letting the prisoners build a beer garden at the sunniest parts of the exercise yard, and let them stay out all night if needs be!

edit on 29-9-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

So why is it a priority for the government?

To the poster who said Australia had no trouble banning smoking in prison....

www.bbc.com...

really?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Sep, 29 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: crazyewok

So why is it a priority for the government?

To the poster who said Australia had no trouble banning smoking in prison....

www.bbc.com...

really?

Tired of Control Freaks

To keep the dumb masses focusing on unimportant bull# like this rather than the real big issues i stated above that the cowards in government dont want to deal with.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join