It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China wants to build world’s first fission–fusion reactor “by 2030”

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
So here we have China announcing a fusion fission reactor that they want to have built by the year 2030. Its just a concept but they believe they will be able to achieve it. If they do make it will it change the nuclear industry? I think its an interesting concept, still using uranium, but they are able to yield much more energy from the reactions. So what do you think ATS? Is the nuclear fission fusion hybrid going to be a reality by 2030?

www.globalconstructionreview.com...
China has set itself a target date of 2030 to build the world’s first hybrid fission–fusion reactor (FFHR), according to Science and Technology Daily, a newspaper run by the Ministry of Science and Technology.

The project is being attempted by the Academy of Engineering Physics in Sichuan, a military research facility where nuclear weapons are developed.
If successful, it will give China a lead in a technology that many other countries are trying to develop, including the EU, the US, Russia and Japan. All these countries have research programmes, but none has announced a development timetable.

The process works by putting the fusion reactor inside the fission reactor. In the central reactor, a plasma soup of deuterium and tritium (isotopes of hydrogen and helium) are heated inside a magnetic field. At a certain temperature, the atoms fuse to produce helium and a fast neutron.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Who did they steal the blueprints from?

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
With how long most Chinese products last, this scares me.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

Well they don't plan to sell this at walmart so I think we can take a different context on this.

It needs to actually happen before we can worry how long it will last as well.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Mining the moon? Hmmmm

It does not specify where they intend to acquire H3. But the moon is bombarded with it by the sun. Not having the atmosphere's like Earth. All they have to do is collect the moon dust. Heat it and get the H3 out of it.

They need Russia's rockets to get there.. granted china should have sustainable rockets by then.

It won't o nuclear like uranium. Just put off normal helium...

edit on 25-9-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Mining the moon? Hmmmm

Is that a Helium 3 reference?

www.extremetech.com...

Chang’e 3’s main mission was only to take spectrographic and ground penetrating radar measurements, but the Chang’e 5 missions will bring back the first samples containing the actual prize — fusion-ready helium-3.

One of the main reasons helium-3 is sought as a fusion fuel is because there are no neutrons generated as a reaction product. The protons that do get generated have charge, and can therefore be safely contained using electromagnetic fields. Early dreamers imagined that Saturn or Jupiter would be the ideal places to try and get their hands on some helium-3, but it now appears that the Chinese have set their sights on the Moon.

edit on 25-9-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Lol.. yes it is.

Ya got me. I read to much sci/fi bits.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Lol.. yes it is.

Ya got me.

We could use a Helium 3 thread I will look to see if we have any LOL good post bro!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Mining the moon? Hmmmm

www.extremetech.com...

Chang’e 3’s main mission was only to take spectrographic and ground penetrating radar measurements, but the Chang’e 5 missions will bring back the first samples containing the actual prize — fusion-ready helium-3.

One of the main reasons helium-3 is sought as a fusion fuel is because there are no neutrons generated as a reaction product. The protons that do get generated have charge, and can therefore be safely contained using electromagnetic fields. Early dreamers imagined that Saturn or Jupiter would be the ideal places to try and get their hands on some helium-3, but it now appears that the Chinese have set their sights on the Moon.

i was all hyped for lunar He3 too. believe me. but then i found out you can make all the He3 you need in fusion reactors running on other fusion reaction chains (at first.)

The war over He3 is already over. We all won.
edit on 25-9-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

Mining the moon? Hmmmm

www.extremetech.com...

i was all hyped for lunar He3 too. believe me. but then i found out you can make all the He3 you need in fusion reactors running on other fusion reaction chains (at first.)

Oh thats good news for the world man made Helium 3 FTW!

I will have to look that up cool find!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Go for it!

I lack the actual knowledge. I heard of it on the history channel. And i trust a learned everything from there.

Only thing close to H3 is h3o... the Hummer is plastered everywhere.....
But I want h3 to be real..

Sorry He3......

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
No way!
I read UK was doing this over 40 years ago.
with Picturs of the thing they ware building!!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Mining the moon? Hmmmm

www.extremetech.com...

I need a link for that info I am searching online and comming up with nada mucho bro!

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Mining the moon? Hmmmm

www.extremetech.com...

its the Deuterium + Deuterium reaction. It produces a Helium III atom and a neutron. and deuterium is common in all water and easily extractable.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Found it. He3 or helium 3. Lot's of info! Fission back on!

Sorry I'm in a goofy mood.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
the deuterium plus regular hydrogen chain can do it too

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Mining the moon? Hmmmm

www.extremetech.com...

its the Deuterium + Deuterium reaction. It produces a Helium III atom and a neutron. and deuterium is common in all water and easily extractable.

OMG thats a universal find! Water taking the place of Helium 3! Wow I am wondering where the information on this, also why would there be so much of a movement to go to the moon to mine the stuff if its possible to refine it from water.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This does not mean puttering around mining on the moon isn't worthwhile. it just means He3 really isn't a compelling reason to go (immediately).

you can still get aluminum, nickel, titanium and so on and put it out of the moons gravity well (far easier and cheaper than leaving earth's gravity well) for use in space manufacturing. and He III would still be valuable for that same reason. fueling spacecraft reactors with fuels rather than sending it up from earth.

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Mining the moon? Hmmmm

www.extremetech.com...

OMG thats a universal find! Water taking the place of Helium 3! Wow I am wondering where the information on this, also why would there be so much of a movement to go to the moon to mine the stuff if its possible to refine it from water.

look up fusion reaction chains or h2 + H2 fusion or h2 + h1 fusion. or just wiki fusion the wiki shows some of the chains in a graphic on the right and the verbal information is down near the bottom of the wiki article

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
Who did they steal the blueprints from?
probably from one of the various advanced space engine studies. there are hybrid fission fusion rocket engine designs. BTW the graphic provided in the Article is not the chinese reactor; its either ITER or JET.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join