It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-Healing Tires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I came across this, and after seeing other posts over time about self-healing polymers and self-healing plastics, I knew it would only be a matter of time before they figured out how to do a self-healing rubber or tire.

Well, here it is:

Self-Healing Tire

Please note, that the video on the page is not showing an actual tire itself, but the rubber being tested conceptually.

It shows conceptually that the rubber re-binds to itself with the same amount of elasticity and ability to carry tension without the process of vulcanization needing to be carried out again. That, all by itself, is a MAJOR accomplishment in the field of applied materials and is going to quietly make waves across the auto industry as well as many others.

What say you ATS, what other applications of this can you conjure up?

~Namaste

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
so what you are saying is we can live in a self repairing house made of rubber? Where do i sign up?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne

AWWWWWWW

I am left with the most unpleasant lingering disappointment in the pit of my stomach. My tired eyes glanced over your thread title and saw 'Self-Tying Ties' not 'Self-Healing Tires'. I really thought we'd made it. I thought it was the future.

I wonder if these things would have any use as self healing satellite/ISS hull components?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne

It's good to see this tech finally being perfected. Many moons ago in my rebellious years I had a supercar(I had money to back then).
If I remember correctly the tires were such that couldn't 'blow out' or be severely impacted by a penetration. The dealer said this was to prevent small rocks acting like bullets, being thrown from the front wheels to the rear at 180+ mph. I don't remember the name but Khomo Racing sounds familiar.
I've also had experience with run flat tires but don't I guess it's all relative. These will be much easier to repair and maintain.

Cool news, AB

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
it will never seee daylight in the consumer world.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I wonder if this technology is like the self sealing fuel tanks that were developed for our warplanes during World War Two? I also wonder if the technology is still classified?...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfTheLawOfOne

what other applications of this can you conjure up?

Split Condoms

posted on Sep, 25 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
it will never seee daylight in the consumer world.

A puncture in the tread of a tire currently (and in the past) has not meant the need to buy a new tire; most tread punctures can be safely, easily, and cheaply patched. My tire dealer has done it for free in the past (although probably because I buy my tires from him, and he does it as a "customer service").

That ability to patch a tread puncture hasn't been squelched by the consumer tire industry.

Granted, though -- sidewall damage cannot be patched, and virtually always means a new tire.

edit on 9/25/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

join