It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 700 killed in Hajj just outside Mecca

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm not the best writer so bear with me.
Heard this on the news, over 700 dead and 800+ injured. These are the times I have a serious conflict with myself regarding Islam. I recall this happening about 10 years ago. I like to think I'm pretty accepting of others customs and generaly do not go for the demonizing of muslims but I just cannot understand this, how do people continue on trampling others or stepping on/over bodies.
Any members who could better explain the Hajj and how this happens? please help me understand.
www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

This is 2015, isn't it? Or has this bunch somehow reverted back to the barbaric Middle Ages?

Mecca Stampede

The tragedy was the worst to befall the pilgrimage since July 1990, when 1,426 pilgrims were perished in an overcrowded pedestrian tunnel leading to holy sites near Mecca and the ninth in a string of such incidents since then. Both stampedes occurred on Eid al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice), Islam's most important feast and the day of the stoning ritual. Over the last 25 years, such incidents have claimed the lives of more than 3,000 pilgrims.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Any members who could better explain the Hajj and how this happens? please help me understand.

Two million people, the worlds largest annual gathering, not because of religion because somebody panicked or were driven by Hooligans.

Seen it before at sporting events and concerts when I was a kid. People get trampled…

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Some kind of rave party gone wrong

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Huge Jump in Death Toll!

RIP at least the believers and families can rest assured their selves/loved ones perished while completing the 'holy pilgrimage' they so believe in

to me, any kind of MOB is just so wrong!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Two million people, the worlds largest annual gathering, not because of religion because somebody panicked or were driven by Hooligans.

Seen it before at sporting events and concerts when I was a kid. People get trampled…

umm........do you actually ever knwo what youre talking about when you reply or are you such a bleeding partisan person that you automatically assume things and err on the side of your PC mentality?

The report is pretty clear what happened and its not the first time

Just stop with the politically correct BS, my guess is you didnt read the article nor do you have any idea what the Hajj is.....
edit on 9/24/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I just heard the Saudi ministery man on the radio saying........... many people have died in a 'stampede' because they were not following instructions set out by the authorities....however this is God's will so that is the situation......!!!!!!!!!

Religion is the biggest mind f*ck and control of our modern society..........

ALL common sense and humanity is lost by following a 'GOD' ...of whichever type and flavour.........

TAKE religion out of your life and the world becomes much easier and MORE enjoyable place......

oh welllll.....

PDUK
edit on 24-9-2015 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Milah
Huge Jump in Death Toll!

RIP at least the believers and families can rest assured their selves/loved ones perished while completing the 'holy pilgrimage' they so believe in

to me, any kind of MOB is just so wrong!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

At least 863 others were injured in the crush at Mina, a few miles east of Mecca, caused by two large groups of pilgrims arriving together at a crossroads on their way to performing the "stoning the devil" ritual at Jamarat, Saudi civil defence said.

I guess that ole devil was not in the mood to be stoned today!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask
Read it yourself, clown… the article doesn't state how the stampede began.

Just that two million people gather there yearly and crowd control is a nightmare for authorities charged with their safety.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Your right 2,000,000 is alot of people, 800 is a lot of dead too. I wonder what the status of those killed is in regards to the pilgrimage..did they make it?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: PurpleDog UK

Religion is the biggest mind f*ck and control of our modern society..........

ALL common sense and humanity is lost by following a 'GOD' …of whichever type and flavour.........

Stampedes can occur anywhere theres crowds of excited people rushing into a venue.

Should have been to concerts I attended in the late 70's and 80's.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

There is this fervor there, excitement rushes through the crowd. They been waiting a long time to get there, travelled afar, lined up in mass. Delays make people lean forward, the barrier in the front is where the crush begins.

When the video comes out, thats what it will look like. They probably had a barrier up to prevent too many inside at once and the crowd outside got antsy…

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
idiots en masse. this happens all the time. where was their god?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I find some of the posts so far on this thread very ignorant and disrespectful to those who have died and their customs. What's worse is that i should be shocked by this, sadly the maturity and civility of the ATS membership over the last year or so has became so watered down that I now expect these kind of childish posts.

Lets pretend for a moment that the head line was "700 dead after stampede after Justin Bieber concert at Madison Square Gardens".

Or to make it even more interesting "Hundreds dead in Washington as faithful caught in stampede as they race to see the pope".

How different would the opening comments be in this thread be?

This is a horrible tragedy regardless of where it happened, lets remember that its 700 people at least that have been killed in what should have been a happy and peaceful event.

My thoughts and prayers to all those affected.
edit on 24-9-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
if youre going to applaud the death of hundreds of people , why even post.

800 men women and children lose their lives, whether or not you're religious shouldn't mean you shouldnt care over mass deaths and injuries. this stuff happens all the time, at concerts, clubs, stadiums etc. why should the region or people or religious beliefs compel people to sound cynical. if 800 died at a stadium stampede here in the US or even Europe, some responses would be different, im certain of this.
edit on 24-9-2015 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Thank Allah that they don't carry scimitars anymore.
Religion of peace.
800 people is a massacre though, plus the hundred from the crane collapse.
I'd like to see their a travel brochure.
come for the beheadings, stay for the trampling.
And there's no alcohol.
Ah, sunni, er, sunny mecca, fun for the whole family!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask
Read it yourself, clown… the article doesn't state how the stampede began.

Just that two million people gather there yearly and crowd control is a nightmare for authorities charged with their safety.

LoL clown? Exactly it doesnt state it, So your ASSUMPTION stated as fact is? what again?

Whose the clown?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

I'd like to see their a travel brochure.
come for the beheadings, stay for the trampling.
And there's no alcohol.
Ah, sunni, er, sunny mecca, fun for the whole family!

I hope a mod reads this and banns you.

800 dead, on ATS, lets make jokes!

SICK, you should be ashamed of yourself, but tragically i know you and those like you won't be.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Its sad .. The racism and xenophobia in the air is stifling. Its really disheartening to read some of the comments in many of the recent threads that have absolutely anything to do with people foreign to the west.

This is a tragedy .. But many people seem to view this as something to jeer at.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Crowds can do that epically frenzied ones. Don't think we have had death tolls like this but people have does at concerts, games and what not from doors being opened and people rushing through.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join