It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irving 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school: 'So you tried to make a bomb?'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup
...this is what happens when racist, bigoted morons spew filth about ALL Muslims ALL the time... it seeps into people's minds and then they do s*** like this.

Yes. Irving, Texas, has already been in the news, and chain emails, re the mayor who believed, falsely, that Sharia court had come to her town:

The reader forwarded us the chain email, which said: "The group of Muslims who attempted to establish the first Islamic Sharia court inside the United States in the town of Irving, Texas just received a devastating blow thanks to the town’s mayor standing strong and not backing down." The mayor, Beth Van Duyne, this year led the Irving City Council to pass a resolution endorsing an ultimately unsuccessful Texas House proposal. House Bill 562, which cleared a House committee but didn’t make it to a floor vote, barred foreign courts or laws from superseding U.S. laws.

PolitiFact

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yes, and no,.

911 was the trigger event, and the press ran with it.

I've wondered a time or twenty how I would have dealt with it if I hadn't already known a goodly number of Muslims. All of whom were as horrified by what happened as I was. I like to think I wouldn't have been drawn in any more than I already was, but who knows... As pervasive as it was?

CX

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
BBC just said the lad ended up going to the Whitehouse.

CX.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The Irving Police FaceBook page post about this is full of people calling out the Irving PD for being morons. Gotta love when the populace gets it right.

Some excerpts:

"Don't keep calling it a suspicious device, you inbred no-common-sense having "officers". It's a clock. It keeps time. Or should I turn in everyone with a watch?"

"Way to suppress interest in science and technology fields. Irving is typically known for technology companies that populate the area... this guy could probably get a job at any one... obviously the police department if manned by those not bright enough to do the same."

" A skinny 14-year old who hadn't done anything except show his engineering teacher a project with which he threatened no one at any time was "handcuffed for his safety and the safety of the officers"? It doesn't matter how officially you word it, the behavior of your department was despicable, and reactionary to the point of absurd. This "investigation" should have taken 10 minutes, at the end of which time, the boy should have received an apology from embarrassed staff members. Really, how dare you attempt to cover your own image by defending this appalling conduct."

"This post is attempting to cover your butts and to express to the world what great cops you are, yet there's no hint of an apology or even an acceptance of responsibility, and it STILL tries to blame the innocent kid you arrested.

Your reactionary, fear-inducing, black-and-white response to this is just embarrassing. This is our country now?"

Now if more would wake up to all the other bits of injustice we are subjected to, we might be able to turn this sinking ship around.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Texas.

No restrictions on firearms ownership.

14 year old kid gets arrested for a home science project, ostensibly because he's muslim.

That's some ass-backwards stuff right there.

Sort it out Texas. This stuff makes you look stupid.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Actually it makes some police and some teachers look bad.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
i wonder how many obama haters will be mad that the president tweeted out to the kid to bring the clock to the white house lol. i'm sure there is a terrible paranoid joke to be made from that.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
i wonder how many obama haters will be mad that the president tweeted out to the kid to bring the clock to the white house lol. i'm sure there is a terrible paranoid joke to be made from that.

Isn't Obama as secret Muslim?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I was pretty upset at first. Maybe even intolerant. I definitely was a bit intolerant while in the Army, but as Bush' Presidency started to wind down, I stopped having interest in the rhetoric and saw it for what it was. That is my experience being someone who lived through 9/11 without having known a Muslim.

It's just that I think that blaming Muslims for the actions that happened 3/4ths of a score ago is a little naive and wrong. Like I pointed out earlier in this thread, this poor kid was likely an infant when that went down. That means that 9/11 happened a whole generation ago.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Surely a bomb requires explosive, so a hoax bomb would have fake explosives. Where are they?

This is clearly just a microcontroller I/O board (note the USB ports).

This is all kinds of stupid!

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

The kid, Ahmed Mohamed, explains in full detail how everything went down and how he was falsely arrested.

Wow, even the ignorant mayor, threw in her support for the police.

Mayor backs police in teen's arrest

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glinda
This is sad...but as always, we just learn some of the story...not all of the story.

I read, that the boy's father travels back to Qutar frequently to run for the Presidency (and other offices). I also read that the father IMMEDIATELY contacted CAIR (who then alerted the media).

All that said, we don't know what has gone on w/this kid prior to the clock. Has he made threatening statements, did he comment last Friday (9/11!) in a way that raised the teachers/school administrators suspicions?

Things that first appear so black and white usually end up being various shades of gray. Before dumping on the teacher, the school and the PD how's about we learn more facts (if facts can be released--he is a minor).

Now from the opposite side, what if (supposition here) a genius kid brought in a device...sat in the back of the classroom, took "Ill" went to the nurse, got sent home, and then...

What would be said about the late teacher? The school districts "preparedness" etc...sadly today it is a very different world.

In other words, he's guilty until proven innocent? Going to Qatar isn't a crime and it only has roughly 280,000 citizens (a lot more foreign workers, though). So it's not a stretch for his dad to be somewhat "important" there, which isn't a crime either.

I'm just trying to point out why those assumptions shouldn't apply in law enforcement.
edit on 16-9-2015 by enlightenedservant because: dud, didn't show the post I was replying to. facepalm

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I can honestly say I have not had THAT much interaction with Muslims, but the interaction I HAVE had recently is not a positive one. Has to do with my daughter and my ex's new Muslim husband. Controlling is being polite when talking about him. He does not want any interaction with me and my ex except through email and is changing the way I am able to interact with my own daughter.

Needless to say I have put him in his place on it and could really care less what he says, but my ex buys into it and it is affecting my daughter so unfortunately it has put a distaste in my mouth for the Muslim religion. Control seems to be a large part of it and that does not sit well with me having an 8 year old daughter in the picture.

This story is neither here nor there....it is simply a case of a big screw up and some teacher profiling what they thought was a possible radical it would seem. Seems the LEO's did the same.

Come on, don't blame all of us for that. There are controlling people in every demographic. Not to mention how some people are just jerks, regardless of their religion or ideology.

Once, I was trying to pursue an amazing Somali Muslim but her elders wouldn't approve of me, a fellow Muslim. And I was close to marrying an amazing white Christian lady but most of her family temporarily disowned her because of my skin color. And I couldn't even have a relationship w/a young Mexican lady I knew because her powerful, underground family gave me some subtle "suggestions" about the outcome.

I can't blame their religions for that though. Just the individuals involved in the situations.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

That mayor might as well have Pam Gellar on speed dial.
www.rawstory.com...

One of those small gov types that decided they needed to pass extra laws to prohibit religious law when it is already covered by our constitution.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It gets worse. The mayor claims proper procedure was followed. Apparently not...

Mohamed, a freshman at MacArthur High School, insists he repeatedly asked officers to call his parents while being interrogated. Mohamed was questioned at the school, then taken in handcuffs to a juvenile detention center, where he was fingerprinted and interrogated without his parents present, according to police and Mohamed.

Texas Family Code is clear this was not supposed to happen.

“A child may not be left unattended in a juvenile processing office and is entitled to be accompanied by the child's parent, guardian, or other custodian or by the child’s attorney,” Section 52.025 states.

Mohamed did not see his parents until he was released from a juvenile detention center, according to police and his family.

police violated ahmed-mohameds civil rights

edit on 16-9-2015 by Dreamwatcher because: Fix Link

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I saw this news report on the front page of Yahoo. I read several renditions of the news report and decided to come here to get "the rest of the story."

Now 24 flags, 22 stars for the OP ,and 6 pages of comments and it's not even on the front page of ATS! Why?

dex

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

I can honestly say I have not had THAT much interaction with Muslims, but the interaction I HAVE had recently is not a positive one. Has to do with my daughter and my ex's new Muslim husband. Controlling is being polite when talking about him. He does not want any interaction with me and my ex except through email and is changing the way I am able to interact with my own daughter.

Needless to say I have put him in his place on it and could really care less what he says, but my ex buys into it and it is affecting my daughter so unfortunately it has put a distaste in my mouth for the Muslim religion. Control seems to be a large part of it and that does not sit well with me having an 8 year old daughter in the picture.

This story is neither here nor there....it is simply a case of a big screw up and some teacher profiling what they thought was a possible radical it would seem. Seems the LEO's did the same.

Come on, don't blame all of us for that. There are controlling people in every demographic. Not to mention how some people are just jerks, regardless of their religion or ideology.

Once, I was trying to pursue an amazing Somali Muslim but her elders wouldn't approve of me, a fellow Muslim. And I was close to marrying an amazing white Christian lady but most of her family temporarily disowned her because of my skin color. And I couldn't even have a relationship w/a young Mexican lady I knew because her powerful, underground family gave me some subtle "suggestions" about the outcome.

I can't blame their religions for that though. Just the individuals involved in the situations.

Don't worry mate. I've seen that sort of stuff happen here as well. I met a convert and he's black. He tried to marry a Somalian. Guess what? Her parents said no. Why? Because he's black. That's so retarded right? I mean, they're black themselves. I was once accused of being an undercover police officer and a spy by some random guys in a Mosque just because I'm white. Jerks come in all shapes and colours. Just ignore them and move on.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Blame Hollyweird. Usually when they put bombs in their movies, they put circuits and wires.
edit on 16-9-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This is an image of the actual device.

Fox News

Not much to it really. The kid said he threw it together in about 20 minutes.

-dex

edit on 9/16/2015 by DexterRiley because: added link

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: neformore
Texas.

No restrictions on firearms ownership.

14 year old kid gets arrested for a home science project, ostensibly because he's muslim.

That's some ass-backwards stuff right there.

Sort it out Texas. This stuff makes you look stupid.

These BROAD remarks show lack of knowledge of the incident. This was one teacher, one principal, and 4 or 5 cops in the city of Irving, TX. The population of Irving as of 2013 was estimated at 228,653. Yep, your post shows that 6 or 7 people in Irving are representative of all Texans.

Texas does have many restrictions on firearm ownership. Ass-backwards?

You need to sort it out, this stuff...oh never mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join