It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irving 9th-grader arrested after taking homemade clock to school: 'So you tried to make a bomb?'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

So what part of this thing goes boom? I don't even see a power supply, guessing it's powered off of USB or that jack on the side. He's pretty good a soldering for his age. That is if he's the one that did the surface mounts and it didn't just come that way.

I can see why he's want to keep it in a case if the power supply wasn't mounted.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Here is the piece of terrorist scum after his arrest. phew.... that was a close one, Way to go Texas.

link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: Edumakated

Yeah....I built most everything in the Anarchists Cookbook when I was in school and blew it up in my back yard.....hate to think of where I would be had society been like this when I was younger.

Imagine if the kid had built a potato gun. I knew a BUNCH of kids in high school who built them.

link   
The big picture is....

This was a kid with a strange name, brown skin, and probably not a Christian.

Racism and suspicion is rampant in Texas....

If a little white girl had of brought in a high tech digital clock she would have been given a full ride college scholarship, be written up in the local paper as a genius and product of the Texas school system.

edit on 16-9-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

We really don't know that ALL evidence points to the kids innocence. We don't know WHAT (if any) comments this teenage boy may have said previously. Are they talking of the current events of refugee crisis in Europe? Did a classroom discussion of 9/11 cause him to make a statement that gave the teacher further cause of suspicion.

Being a teacher today IS different. You are not just entrusted w/academics and social aspects of students development, they are charged with student safety. Who among us would want to err the wrong way? To have an incident happen and NOT to have pointed it out and had others in the school get involved.

The teacher no doubt alerted the prinicipal who felt the need to call the local police who in turn acted. The question to ask is WHY they all acted as they did (and "dumb" public school union teacher, and dumb, Texas Islamophobe cops is the easy, yet equally bigoted answer). Allowing an investigation, a timeline, interviewing the other students all must come into the full story (which may or may not ever be told because the kid is a minor).

Jumping to PC conclusions is sometimes what is intended after all.

link   

originally posted by: ObjectZero

So what part of this thing goes boom? I don't even see a power supply, guessing it's powered off of USB or that jack on the side. He's pretty good a soldering for his age. That is if he's the one that did the surface mounts and it didn't just come that way.

I can see why he's want to keep it in a case if the power supply wasn't mounted.

Yeah, best I could tell it likely attached to a USB power supply of some sort...maybe even direct to a computer so he could program it while it was powered up and change the clock's display or something.

link   

Crazy. Seems like this all fits into the whole zero tolerance hypersensitive push that has also led to students arrested for drawing guns. Real messed up but at the same time I am willing to bet that the people who complain the loudest also supported the whole zero tolerance/hyper sensitivity crap in the 90's and 2000's. What did people think would happen. Well clock makers and artists get arrested.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yeah....I built most everything in the Anarchists Cookbook when I was in school and blew it up in my back yard.....hate to think of where I would be had society been like this when I was younger.

Imagine if the kid had built a potato gun. I knew a BUNCH of kids in high school who built them.

I know I built them....

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

And it would be just my luck that somewhere in the car WOULD be those items. Wait! Actually, we did have those items in the truck for one of our camping trips to the desert. Oh, good Lord, the things that would now be illegal to have together!

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

Can you show the last time it happened to anyone?

This thread is already trying to justify this, and it is sad.
Already blaming the kid for his name which he had no part of.

It's like people want us to profile anyone that may be Middle eastern or muslim.

And it is usually the same people that are always preaching the "don't let them divide us" rhetoric.
edit on thWed, 16 Sep 2015 11:11:01 -0500America/Chicago920150180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Glinda
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Let me guess, you only read the excerpt of the article that the OP posted in the opening post?

We really don't know that ALL evidence points to the kids innocence. We don't know WHAT (if any) comments this teenage boy may have said previously. Are they talking of the current events of refugee crisis in Europe? Did a classroom discussion of 9/11 cause him to make a statement that gave the teacher further cause of suspicion.

He showed it to his engineering teacher first thing Monday morning and didn’t get quite the reaction he’d hoped for.

“He was like, ‘That’s really nice,’” Ahmed said. “‘I would advise you not to show any other teachers.’”

He kept the clock inside his school bag in English class, but the teacher complained when the alarm beeped in the middle of a lesson. Ahmed brought his invention up to show her afterward.

“She was like, it looks like a bomb,” he said.

“I told her, ‘It doesn’t look like a bomb to me.’”

The teacher kept the clock. When the principal and a police officer pulled Ahmed out of sixth period, he suspected he wouldn’t get it back.

Being a teacher today IS different. You are not just entrusted w/academics and social aspects of students development, they are charged with student safety. Who among us would want to err the wrong way? To have an incident happen and NOT to have pointed it out and had others in the school get involved.

Look at this picture and tell me how it looks like a bomb in ANY way.

The teacher no doubt alerted the prinicipal who felt the need to call the local police who in turn acted. The question to ask is WHY they all acted as they did (and "dumb" public school union teacher, and dumb, Texas Islamophobe cops is the easy, yet equally bigoted answer). Allowing an investigation, a timeline, interviewing the other students all must come into the full story (which may or may not ever be told because the kid is a minor).

Jumping to PC conclusions is sometimes what is intended after all.

Update at 10:09 a.m. Wednesday: Former secretary of state and Democratic presidential candidiate Hillary Clinton joined the tidal wave of tweets supporting Mohamed Ahmed after his arrest Monday for bringing a homemade digital clock to school.

"Assumptions and fear don't keep us safe -- they hold us back. Ahmed, stay curious and keep building," Clinton's tweet read.

Irving ISD officials and Irving police will hold a press conference at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Irving Criminal Justice Center. We will continue to update this story as new developments emerge.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Here is the piece of terrorist scum after his arrest. phew.... that was a close one, Way to go Texas.

Gotta love the NASA shirt.....kid was a electronics geek....nothing more.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
modern paranoid lunacy at work. utterly pathetic. i hope Mohammed finds a way to sue the school and sack the teacher.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricDipole

My, my...my.

Lambaste Muricans (whatever those are...) for being paranoid, schizophrenic sheep who stereotype while merrily doing the exact same thing...

Though if you'd bothered to check things out a little more closely you'd find, taa-daa, that many, dare I say most, people are not going along with it. Clear evidence would be this little thread, or the reaction of the vast majority in the twitter'verse.

Now then, that this was a clear overreaction on the part of the teacher, school officials, and the cops is very obvious. Even this 'murican knows that's not a bomb...

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I did too. In eight grade, I was into model rocketry. My principal actually let me launch five rockets during the opening ceremonies of our "Olympics" in front of the whole school Full on D Class rocket that went to like 1000 feet. I actually had to jerry rig a fuse and set it off with a lighter because the electronic one failed. No way in hell that would be allowed today.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Murica is doing a great job in fighting these terrorist scum.
This dude got some Murican "war on terror" Justice.

www.chicagotribune.com...

Erika Menendez pushed another potential terrorists off the platform in NYC.
“I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers. I’ve been beating them up,” Queens district attorney, quoted the woman as saying
www.rt.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That's the thing, if it weren't for social media, this kid's fight would have been a losing one and he'd probably be facing criminal charges. The fact that the story went viral is helping his case. Us doing what we are doing right now is going to cause the school and police to buckle under the pressure. They are going to have to walk back their defense of trying to charge him with making a hoax bomb because no one is going to accept it.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I have friends that used to actually make soda bottle bombs in high school. Basically a giant noise maker.

That's how they met another friend. They threw the bomb at him and freaked him out.

Times have changed.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Look at this picture and tell me how it looks like a bomb in ANY way.

It has wires, and parts. And a numeric display that counts.

To a large percentage of cops, that can't be distinguished from pure evil. Electronics are supposed to come from factories, not 9th graders.

How many press conferences have you heard where the police chief gets up there and struts around about finding wires and parts and 'chemicals'? There you go.

If locals ever get into my shop, it's going to be national news. I not only have wires and parts and chemicals, I've got weird TV looking things that don't get TV. And mechanical things. And SHOP TOOLS. There's no telling what sort of chicanery might ensue. And guns. Lots of guns. And ammo. More than a thousand rounds! OMG!

I have no doubt it will be called a bunker fortress or something.

link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

GIVE HIM THE CHAIR!!!! THE CHAIR!!!!

But make sure you waterboard the terrorist scum bag first!

USA USA USA!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join