It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extended hours at the Tonopah Test Range

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

TNX TONOPAH TEST RANGE [Back to Top] M0144/15 - BASE OPERATIONS HOURS OF SERVICE ARE 1100Z-0500Z (0400L-2200L)THROUGH 30OCT15. M-F 0400L-2200L, 08 SEP 21:34 2015 UNTIL 30 OCT 23:59 2015. CREATED: 08 SEP 21:38 2015

Usually the air operations close at 8PM local, but now extended to 10PM. This can be anything from extended support for Nellis to testing of some new airframe.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac

TNX TONOPAH TEST RANGE [Back to Top] M0144/15 - BASE OPERATIONS HOURS OF SERVICE ARE 1100Z-0500Z (0400L-2200L)THROUGH 30OCT15. M-F 0400L-2200L, 08 SEP 21:34 2015 UNTIL 30 OCT 23:59 2015. CREATED: 08 SEP 21:38 2015

Usually the air operations close at 8PM local, but now extended to 10PM. This can be anything from extended support for Nellis to testing of some new airframe.

LRS-B??

Although apparently it hasnt flown yet...
edit on 15 9 2015 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Whenever I see a thread title about TTR or A51 I hope it to be one of yours. Looks like some cool stuff might be flying around there through the end of next month. Going to make it out there with a camera at all?

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm just baffled why they posted this at all. There are DoD NOTAMs that make sense for the public. For instance, a large force exercise means beware of fighter type aircraft on the MOAs.

Now it is possible to fly over the TTR as a civilian, but as far as I know, only pn a Sunday when the base is closed.

If a civilian had business at the TTR, then uou would be informed of the hours when you get your landing permit, so the NOTAM wouldn't be needed.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

Could be everything, could be nothing

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Was there an influx of janet flights to KTNX during those extended hours?

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomeyKXTA

Was there an influx of janet flights to KTNX during those extended hours?

I didn't notice any extra flights, but I wasn't looking either. Generally I only note the odd Saturday flight.

As we eventually learned, there were three B61 tests done at the base. That could be related.

The Beech Janets often fly VFR and thus escape internet tracking.

While the TTR is relatively easy to snoop on, well compared to doing a Tikaboo, the base manages to conduct much activity unobserved.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

While the TTR is relatively easy to snoop on, well compared to doing a Tikaboo, the base manages to conduct much activity unobserved.

Which is funny, considering you can see the runway from Highway 6 from at least one spot (I've seen the runway lights at night). Area 51 gets all the attention, no one seems to regularly watch TTR.
edit on 25-11-2015 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-11-2015 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FosterVS

Which is funny, considering you can see the runway from Highway 6 from at least one spot (I've seen the runway lights at night). Area 51 gets all the attention, no one seems to regularly watch TTR.

I sometimes rendezvous with people at the rest stop on highway 6 that is north of the TTR. The base is visible from that location. You can also scan from that spot.

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FosterVS

I sometimes rendezvous with people at the rest stop on highway 6 that is north of the TTR. The base is visible from that location. You can also scan from that spot.

You can also park your RV there for days at a time, as long as you don't stay too long

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

I agree Foster, TTR doesn't get enough TLO (Tender, Loving, Observation). I'm thinking the lady and I will have to take a detour out that direction, since I Checked the NOTAM for KTNX earlier today. You guys should check it out too. Application of de-icing fluid on the runway. Runway will open back up this weekend. I'd send a link, but I'm at work right now.
Happy holidays guys!

posted on Nov, 25 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

I'm a lot less nervous suggesting people check out the TTR than saying "Hey, go climb Tikaboo...what could possibly go wrong." forgone thing, if you have a Verizon phone, there is service. Second, if you do have problems, just walk to the base. You probably will get the 3rd degree, but it isn't instance arrest provided you don't carry weapons.

Tonopah and Warm Springs both have ham repeaters. That is one way to get a message out. (For Tikaboo, you can use the Angels Peak repeater, but only at altitude.) Back in the day, people in a jam used to illegally talk on a public service frequencies, FCC fine be damned, but public service radio is too complicated to pirate these days. As a last resort, I have a VHF airband transceiver. Groom Tower would never talk to you and I have no idea if they would relay a message, but I suspect the Tonopah civilian tower would help you.

The thing with the TTR is you can often see stuff fly. I've seen run of the mill USAF stuff, but also the CV-22, MI-24, and the F-117.

You don't have to use Brainwash Butte. You can drive down the paved road to the TTR "Mancamp", then turn left onto the dirt road. There is a small hill to climb where you can watch the base. You are really close to the guard shack, so assume you are on camera. The hill is called Mount Diablo, though it isn't much to look at.

You can also check out the Tonopah civilian airport. I've caught interesting visitors there, included the Lockheed Martin PC-12 shuttle. Sundance Helicopter uses TPH when they do range work.

Tonopah is very cold. I'm not so sure you would want to spend the night outdoors. The Mizpah is a nice though not cheap place to stay. The Station House is about half the price though not as fancy. I spread the money around by staying at the Mizpah and eating at the Station House, Ciscos, or that Mexican restaurant.

I've shown up in Tonopah without a reservation and have stayed in some flea bag places, but that is if I try to get a room late in the day.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

I watched my first zombie film on VHS in Tonopah at the clown motel.
Zombi II.
Needless to say, that place brings back fond memories =)

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

a reply to: HomeyKXTA

Tonopah is very cold. I'm not so sure you would want to spend the night outdoors.

I stayed the night in the RV park behind Station, last June. There was an inch of snow overnight.

Also, anyone going off-pavement at all should have emergency communications. Not a SPOT apparently, I am shopping for an InReach now.
edit on 26-11-2015 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

I see Delorme has two rebates going. $50 off the plain model. $75 off the one with the GPS. Note they use a rechargeable LIon battery. I'm a AA guy. No matter where you go in the world, you can find chickens, AA cells, and something I shouldn't mention.

The old Inreach 1.5 that they no longer make uses two AA cells. If you got the new model, I'd probably get the cheaper version that doesn't have a GPS since you probably have a GPS already. Use your GPS with replaceable batteries for hiking and save the Inreach for checking in.

Most of the units I see on ebay are the ones that pair with a certain model of Delorme GPS rather than Blue tooth. Obviously you don't want that version. There is one version on ebay now that has the blue text on the front that might be the one that pairs with Android and the iphone. It doesn't have a model number listed.

Note that the Delorme smartphone app stores the maps on the flash in the phone itself, not the SD card. (Grumble grumble.) That could be an issue if you don't have much flash to spare.

If I had to get one today, I'd get the SE. You can probably recharge it with one of those usb power packs.

I'm on the cheap monthly plan. I see they added plans that let you start and stop service. It doesn't say on the brochure, but you get a free test message a month from the bird to your unit. That is, you log in and ask for a test. So if you were to get a plan that switches on and off, you would probably want to test it before leaving on a trip.

top topics

join