It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metallurgy and Smelting - Resources?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
ATS, I'm in need of some help in finding resources to learn all about metallurgy. I have always been fascinated by metals and material science, although the field of science has never been a specialty of mine.

Ultimately, I'd like to learn more about metallurgy down to the microscopic level, as well as how these factors affect real-world activities (mining, electrical engineering, smelting, etc.)

To start, I've ordered some textbook resources - the first is Structure-Property Relations in Non-Ferrous Metals Amazon, as well as Hot Metal Production by Smelting Reduction of Iron Oxide Amazon

I'm not opposed to other types of resources. At some point I would like to enroll in a formal education program on this topic, but I'm also very good at self-teaching.

I know we have members on here from such a wide variety of professions and backgrounds, and I am hoping someone out there can help me.

If anybody has any other ideas (about Online certificate programs, other books, movies, etc.) for me to look into I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Any other thoughts or insights are also more than welcome! As always, Thank You ATS.

Your friend, FC

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm a professional welder/ fabricator. I have some books but they are geared towards welding and metallurgy produced by AWS and James Lincoln foundation. You may want to look there for online resources, if I wasn't mobile id link you some things.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

not to discourage but you would be better served going to school.
i worked in a metal lab in a ductile iron foundry.
i work in quality now in a bronze/copper foundry.

you want to learn down to the microscopic level. you need to be able to see what you are looking at.
why metals/alloys behave how they do and how they change when mixed with others.

it is a lot to learn.
you know copper is soft but when you add it to ductile iron it makes it hard as hell.
throw magnesium in gray iron and you get ductile iron. after x amount of time it will fade back into gray.
look under a scope at ductile and you will see perfect nodules. with gray iron you get flakes.

its endless dude

take some classes

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I really appreciate your expertise.

I have found this one institution that I think may be an option for getting me started, although the credentials are "Certificates of Achievement" so I don't think they are accredited: ASM

Have you heard of this organization? (From their website:

ASM is the world's largest association of metals-centric materials scientists and engineers with over 30,000 members worldwide

Do you have any feedback about this institution or the certificates it's offering?

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Why not see if you can find a blacksmithing course (if you haven't done so already)?

With your interest in the subject, I'm sure by the time you've driven out country, found some ore, smelted, then forged your first knive, axe, you will be very satisfied with your own creations.

searching on youtube "ancient blacksmithing smelting ore and forging metal" and youv'e got great instructions to forge ahead in your backyard, and annoy your neighbours too.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Alloy Avenue. The website is pretty primitive, but the forums are FULL of people who know a lot about that sort of thing.
I've learned more just reading posts there than I've learned anywhere else.

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

i dont know anything about that site
you can try the ductile iron society

www.ductile.org...

foundry mag

foundrymag.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
hey famcore.
i saw in your post one of your books you are getting is about production.

since you are into this subject you should do some searching online and read about the different types of production methods and how they differ.
there are many different methods
sand casting
extrusion
continuous cast
drop continuous cast

you can read about the different quality procedures and testing methods
tensile testing
brinell/rockwell hardness scales
charpy tests
all the NDT(non destructive testing) methods like UT and mag particle
spectro chemistry

you can read about pattern making and the different problems you face such as drag vs cope shifts

you can get into the metrology side of it..precision measuring using
micrometers, calipers, depth gauges, go/no gauges

you can read about CMM(coordinate measuring machines)

there is the machining side of it

of course the chemistry side of it. how metals and alloys react and affect each other

it is all very fascinating
why are things done the way they are
why would a manufacturer put lead into their mix?
if you throw lead in with say copper(or anything else) it will melt but it will not form another composition. there will be 2 distinct layers(for lack of a better word) in the furnace. the lead can serve multiple purposes.
example
it helps with precipitates. after the metal is poured and after it starts to cool defects can happen like porocity. this is a bad example but easy to understand
think of swiss cheese as a casting. the holes in the cheese would be porocity which would cause weak points in the casting and that can cause critical failures. since the lead stays separate it will gravitate up and naturally fill those holes in.
lead also helps with machining. it acts as a natural lubricant for the cutting tool.

those are just a couple examples.

what causes ductile iron to fade back into gray iron? why does it do this?

what makes iron become steel?
what makes steel become stainless steel?

it is a fascinating field of study and it is a lifetime of learning.
i am far from an expert but if you have any questions or ever want to talk about it i am around

top topics

join