It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSN: Greek Island Sinking under weight of migrant flood

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

www.msn.com...

Once known as a tourist destination, Lesbos is now sinking under the weight of the many refugees who land on its shores.

www.nytimes.com...
Traveling in Europe’s River of Migrants

river.. flood.. sinking? we never heard these terms in reference to the Holocaust survivors, did we?

wonder why the difference? why is europe being overwhelmed by refugees in this day and age with highly organized officials, borders, and security?

why are tourists and civilians left to bear the brunt of migrant chaos?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I just wanted to distinguish between the terms migrant and refugee.

They aren't interchangeable.

Migrants migrate, refugees flee impossible circumstance, like wars or natural disaster.

These streams of refugees aren't migrating, they are fleeing from dangerous circumstances in their homeland to relative safety in other countries. They are seeking refuge from the storm.

EU countries aren't being currently bombed and the survivors shot, so its safer.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
im wondering do they appeal to the immigration? or refugee? department of the country they are petitioning?

or just cross the border, gather food & shelter indefinitely until authorities question their immigration status?

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Migrants migrate, refugees flee impossible circumstance, like wars or natural disaster.

These streams of refugees aren't migrating, they are fleeing from dangerous circumstances in their homeland to relative safety in other countries. They are seeking refuge from the storm.

EU countries aren't being currently bombed and the survivors shot, so its safer.

I don't think we are supposed to differentiate between Migrant and Refugee anymore by the looks of things!

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I saw the title of this thread and had shades of Guam in my mind. Will Lesbos eventually tip over from the weight of too many people?

I think the sad thing about this is that so many of these "migrants" are young men of military age. If their country was engulfed in war and so impossible, why aren't they fighting to take it back and make it a place to live in? Instead, they flee to a place that offers them handouts.

Now, war is nasty and definitely dangerous, but wasn't this their home? Have they no pride in where they lived?

Gin

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Greek pirates are taking off the extra weight the refugees are carrying. In some instances, the pirates made off with tens of thousands of euros in cash that the migrants had taken with them to find a better life in Europe - as well as mobile phones. They are getting taste of Europe, how it can be bad and poor as in their own home country they fled from.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I saw the title of this thread and had shades of Guam in my mind. Will Lesbos eventually tip over from the weight of too many people?

I think the sad thing about this is that so many of these "migrants" are young men of military age. If their country was engulfed in war and so impossible, why aren't they fighting to take it back and make it a place to live in? Instead, they flee to a place that offers them handouts.

Now, war is nasty and definitely dangerous, but wasn't this their home? Have they no pride in where they lived?

No they dont have any pride. They dont want to work for anything. they want it all handed to them on their terms.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sovan
im wondering do they appeal to the immigration? or refugee? department of the country they are petitioning?

or just cross the border, gather food & shelter indefinitely until authorities question their immigration status?

Refugees just flee. In large numbers, usually from war or disaster. They don't have time to petition for immigrant status from the country they select. In fact they aren't sure of where they are going, just out of the current misery.

Immigrants or migrants who migrate are also leaving but usually in Peace time when they see the grass is greener somewhere else. They can apply for some temporary permit, wait for it then use ordinary means of crossing the borders.

This flood of people are mot migrating, they are seeking refuge>> they are refugees.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

When the building you live or work in catches fire, there is no expectation to stay in there and fight the smoke and flames, just get the hell out.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: intrptr

I don't think we are supposed to differentiate between Migrant and Refugee anymore by the looks of things!

Like every other misinformation spiel they want us to think its a peaceful kind of migration, like birds every year. Orderly, not out of the ordinary. We both know what is causing this flood of refugees, I heard somewhere the numbers are rivaling the displaced persons after wwii.

i heard there are a million Syrians in Lebanon right now. They ain't on vacation.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

No they dont have any pride. They dont want to work for anything. they want it all handed to them on their terms.

And all ATSers are racist, xenophobic assh*les who only care about themselves and cant see beyond their back garden.

Hey! Its fun to generalise!

Tell you what..i would rather live with immigrants who work (contrary to what you believe) want to work for a living than the millions of benefits leaching british scumbags who have 50 inch flat screen tvs but "cant work"

Give me Syrians and Iraqis ANY day thank you.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

And all ATSers are racist, xenophobic assh*les who only care about themselves and cant see beyond their back garden.

Tell you what..i would rather live with immigrants who work (contrary to what you believe) want to work for a living than the millions of benefits leaching british scumbags who have 50 inch flat screen tvs but "cant work"

Well judging from their own actions and the videos of them acting together what are we suppossed to think? One bad apple spoils a bunch sometimes. Are all refugees like this? No but th emajority of them are showing themselves to be at the least unwilling to change their ways. These are not IMMIGRANTS though they are REFUGEES. who are of military age an d able to fight for their homelands but dont. WHy not? because they prefeer to have it handed to them and westerners are SUCKERS. WOuld a hard working "immigrant" refuse food and water just because it has the words RED CROSS on the box? No. these people have a agenda. IF you want to be a refugee you have to stay in th efirst safe country. they arent. SO since they wont claim that they should be counted as invaders and rounded up sent back home.
Point stands they dont have any pride otherwise they would had stayed and fought for their own country.

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gin
Greek pirates are taking off the extra weight the refugees are carrying. In some instances, the pirates made off with tens of thousands of euros in cash that the migrants had taken with them to find a better life in Europe - as well as mobile phones. They are getting taste of Europe, how it can be bad and poor as in their own home country they fled from.

I guess it's a good thing most of them didn't bring their wives and children with them......

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Gooood....let the hatred flow through you....embrace it.

edit on 10-9-2015 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Well judging from their own actions and the videos of them acting together what are we suppossed to think? One bad apple spoils a bunch sometimes. Are all refugees like this? No but th emajority of them are showing themselves to be at the least unwilling to change their ways. These are not IMMIGRANTS though they are REFUGEES. who are of military age an d able to fight for their homelands but dont. WHy not? because they prefeer to have it handed to them and westerners are SUCKERS. WOuld a hard working "immigrant" refuse food and water just because it has the words RED CROSS on the box? No. these people have a agenda. IF you want to be a refugee you have to stay in th efirst safe country. they arent. SO since they wont claim that they should be counted as invaders and rounded up sent back home.
Point stands they dont have any pride otherwise they would had stayed and fought for their own country.

Sigh...what can even say to something SO completely idiotic? If they had any pride they would stay and fight....

I might have to use that in my signature because im so astounded that anyone could say that.

And of couse, YOU would stay and risk, beheading, being burned alive etc from IS? You would be happy for your little girls or your wife to be raped by IS militants daily right? You would be happy to risk all that right? Sitting behind your keyboard in your nice air conditioned office or comfy home you are goign to say you would be happy to risk all that happening to you and your family?

Tough choice these guys have to make...pride or risk my daughter being gangraped or worse. Ok, pride...

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

FIRST the below is NOT directed toward you but to the refugees. I feel sorry they have got so many people who mean well like yourself arguing with everyone else.

This bring out my inner sergeant i berate out of love and to motivate.

Dear refugee. i guess not everyone can actually fight for their rights. I guess some are just born cowards and are to scared to do anything but cry for your momma to make the bad man stop. It has got to be tough to wake up in the morning and see a yellow bellied coward too afraid or with so little self respect for themselves and others that they refuse to even accept aid because of some words on a box.

Your audacity to assume everyone will roll over and take it up the rear from you and your fellows is laughable at best and downright pitiful at worst. I swear you pathetic maggots make me sick!

But fear not! if you people will stand up for yourselves you will find the rest of the world will stand behind you and push those self righteous ISIS losers out of your country and that dictator of a leader you have as well. SO why dont you people stop feeling sorry for yourselves? Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and show those Terrorist scum who ran you out of your home just how much pain they are bringing down on their heads. Free Syria!

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

My wife asked that same question. She's a legal immigrant to the US.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

My wife asked that same question. She's a legal immigrant to the US.

Life > Pride

If war comes to my country, as long as its not a war like WW2 where the world is at stake...i aint fighting. Ill run away with the people i love. And i will live and enjoy life rather than lie dead in a ditch...yeah, im a coward. I choose life.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join