It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should UK accept thousands of refugees because 423,000 people signed a Petition?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Apparently 89,000 people think the answer is no. A government petition 106477 asking for no more immigrants to be let into the UK has been building in numbers since Friday. A lot of people seem angry that David Cameron has been swayed by a small number of people (400,000 plus to be exact) to let more refugees into the Country.

The media have swayed public opinion without a shadow of doubt. The constant message of "desperate migants", photographs of young children etc have melted the hearts of some of the British people the BBC would have us believe. However, when I am out and about speaking to people the general consensus seems to be although people feel empathy with the genuine refugees and feel they should be helped people are also worried and frightened about the cost to the UK, but more so than that they are worried from a security point of view.

Is it wise for Merkel to keep pressing the message that all refugees are welcome? Can she say that all of the people who are making it to Germany are in fact genuine refugees or are the vast majority of them economic migrants. More importantly how can she not see how dangerous this is for Europe and the UK. ISIS have said on many occasions they are smuggling their own fighters into Europe because of the vulnerability of Europe's borders. As thousands are arriving by the day and seem to be mainly young, fit, males (although the media would have us believe they are mainly families) without a shadow of doubt there will be a few hundred who have slipped through the net.

Its only two weeks ago since the guy on the train was stopped from carrying out an atrocity by the US Marines. Why then do our leaders seem not to be listening to the majority of people and instead are listening to the minority. Discuss.
edit on 7-9-2015 by anxiouswens because: Should have been thousan not hundred

edit on 7-9-2015 by anxiouswens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Just like the US. Let em all in cause eventually they will able to vote for the party that let them in. Why not?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Just like the US. Let em all in cause eventually they will able to vote for the party that let them in. Why not?

Brilliant response!
And of course.....they will let them in!
And of course.....they'll be life long party loyalists.

Nothing new really. Same game was played in the US in the late 19th century up to the 1920's.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
As long as they are vetted to make sure they are REAL refugess and have no known criminal background then yeah.

Lets be fair the UK bares some responsibility for the mess in the ME.

Shame the US dont live up to there ideas of responsibility and take a few from the mess they helped cause.

End of the day though they need to be refugess not economic migrants, background checked and from a area we helped screw up!

O and all the property Blair and any politicians that voted for ME action should be seized and used to house such refugess.....
edit on 7-9-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Over the years I have read reports from Europe, mostly bad, of robberies and rapes, mostly rapes, especially in Sweden, mostly committed by non Swedish males, in what are known as 'police no go area's' much the same in the suburbs of Paris (France ), Germany is not any better, these people who scream to let the migrants in, do they live in gated communities? with private police forces on patrol? Is their food and clothing and what ever else delivered to their doors? do they ever venture past the steel gates into the real world?
Jesus Christ, you have robbed Europeans of all sense.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

It doesn't matter. An act of kindness such as this isn't enough to stop the human race from devolving. Another problem will come along that is even worse than the one now currently making the news cycle, and a few will reach out in the hopes that it will make a difference in the big picture. But it won't. It never does. There are many acts of kindness worldwide every day, but they aren't enough to keep the scales of good and evil balanced. There's just too much of the latter these days.

This whole world is FUBAR.

Sorry to be a buzzkill this morning but, even though there is peace in my own personal life, the world as a whole is nowhere near being peaceful and it's only getting worse.

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Well let's ask some hard questions and see if we can't get to the bottom of this conundrum:

1. What's the difference between a legitimate refugee from Syria and a perceived threat from Syria that puts a drain on resources?

2. Why don't the Islamic Gulf States take all the Muslim refugees and send the non-Islamic ones offshore?

3. Why would a Muslim refugee from Syria prefer to flee to a western country than simply flee to the home of Islam right next door?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Signing petitions seems to be the new Get up off yer arse and do something.
edit on 7-9-2015 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Signing petitions seems to be the new Get up of yer arse and do something.
It's a step up from whining on discussion forums I guess

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
i'm over in Ireland now and all i have read over the past few bloody days on Facebook etc etc is how many people are willing to offer a refugee / immigrant a bed or a room in their homes.......

Charitable idea......maybe, however if people were to seriously think about what they are saying and not just say something because they think they should, which makes them temporarilary 'feel better' about themselves then actually, maybe we could have a discussion about what we REALLY need to do here.......

Sir Bob Geldof say he will take four families, Richard Branson says he will take several families and it goes on and on........it's actually demonstrating how bloody out of touch these people are (probably attention seeking) and how simple those who agree with this strategy of ''solving the crisis'' are too........

I think people need to get their heads out of their arseholes and stop being distracted by popular X-factor bollox and sporting rivalrys and instead start focussing on what may well become the demise of Europe and the infiltration of darker forces intent on changing the West from within....

Rgards

PDUK

edit on 7-9-2015 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

I AM a European, English to be exact, and worked with many Poles and eastern Europeans, and quite a few Afghan refugees and others I didn't know well, in factories in hard times. I have read reports, and I have also experienced reality.

No gated community here, yet no fear. Wonder why?

Oh, and yes we do get food delivered right to our doors. By Muslims, if its 2 for one kebab Thursday.
edit on 7/9/2015 by Learningman because: lulz

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

A lot of people seem angry that David Cameron has been swayed by a small number of people (400,000 plus to be exact) to let more refugees into the Country.

To start more bombing too, it seems.

Guardian

edit on 7-9-2015 by intrptr because: link

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Nothing new really. Same game was played in the US in the late 19th century up to the 1920's.

Only one point you missed. In the US , it never stopped. I know a man where I worked that was working under a H1B. He fronted a lot of money and had to take an amazing test to obtain his citizenship . What do we say to him ? You had to do all that just because you were African and not Mexican ?

edit on 7-9-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

From what I have seen in the msm is all healthy males, hardly any woman and children at all our own country has problems of its own with homelessness and poverty I invite all those 400k people who signed to Invite the men into there own homes.

There is another petition named Stop allowing immigrants into the UK. with 89,089 signatures

[snipped]

edit on Mon Sep 7 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: petition link removed

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

If only 106,000 said no and 423,000 said yes how is the minority winning?

Or did I read your post wrong?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Here's a question for you. Why should the people in the UK be consulted at all?
The "citizens" of the US aren't consulted on how many refugees are resettled into the US. Its handled by regulatory bodies and NGO's. It happens under cover of darkness and a MSM blackout of information other than misleading information. To understand how this works, although its a bit dated, see:
refugeeresettlementwatch.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

To answer number 3, Syria is closer to a democracy...

Or was...

Most of their neighbours are monarchies & also assisting ISIS (think Saudi)...

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
To clear up a misconception in the thread, refugees cannot vote here in the UK.

So the idea that it's political pandering for votes is a bulls# narrative.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Australia and the States should take them in. They have more than enough land. Not saying Britain shouldn't take anyone in but putting the entire burden on Britain and Germany while the US government created this mess.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I can only guess he can't swim?

Actually I knew a woman who was a brilliant mathematician from Nigeria.....she went through the same process. We had a party for her when she got her citizenship. We gave her a sombrero!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join