It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This County Clerk Business...Insanity!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Alright, so I was very happy to have the whole gay marriage issue put to rest.

Honestly, as a gay man, I was really tired of hearing about, and having to deal with it etc. Yay for all of us getting our rights, fantastic!

But this thread is not about that, it's about this Kim Davis character.

Can somebody explain to me what your religious beliefs have to do with doing your JOB?!

You CHOSE to work in that industry, we aren't forcing you, you didn't wake up morning shackled to your desk did you?

Why have you not been fired? Why have you not quit?! You obviously aren't going to win this fight. The law is against you, your God is NOT going to help you I'm sorry.

Either do your job or step down. Jail is the alternative and only a very select few are going to see you as some kind of religious liberty crusader.

And to be clear, you have all the religious liberty you want. Either do your job, or CHOOSE to quit over your 'freedom to not give out same sex marriage licences'. That's total and complete freedom.

Hell I've worked jobs where I didn't want to clean toilets because it's against the idea I've established that I'm too good to clean up after people's body movements. That's a sincerely held belief of mine. But guess what, if I had denied those requests, they'd have FIRED ME.

It's my JOB. It's YOUR JOB.

Do it, or get out.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Why have you not been fired? Why have you not quit?! You obviously aren't going to win this fight. The law is against you, your God is NOT going to help you I'm sorry.

Either do your job or step down. Jail is the alternative and only a very select few are going to see you as some kind of religious liberty crusader.

lolz

It's a government job.

All she has to do is say that she the meaning of "is" is different.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

My recollection of the early part of this story is somewhat fuzzy (so correct me if I'm wrong). I think I remembered reading that there are rules in place that allow for people to opt out of "things" for religious reasons (provided that there is another person with the same title that is able and willing to perform the work). In this case, there were other clerks that had offered to handle the gay marriage stuff.

Beyond that, I tend to agree that your job is YOUR JOB so just do it. However, I would say that when she took the position there weren't gay marriages in her state.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I completely agree!

And she's not the only one. There's another clerk in Kentucky (Casey Davis - no relation) who is doing the same thing.

Invoking a Higher Power in Kentucky

Casey Davis isn't related to the clerk who is making headlines in another county, but like Kim Davis, he is standing firm in his defiance of Kentucky's governor and the courts.
He told CNN “there is a power that is above whatever man may put on paper.” and then explained that his interpretation of Kentucky’s state law is that despite the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage, “no higher power, no higher authority shall interfere with what is in our state’s constitution.”

It will take some time for these nutballs to be properly fined or jailed. And it may take a lawsuit filed by the couples who are being denied, but I'm confident it will play out in favor of freedom.

I'm telling you, Tenth, this isn't Canada. These people will fight tooth and nail to force their religious right to public disapproval, discrimination and bigotry. Amen!

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I fully agree with you Tenth. A minor miracle in itself.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I'm telling you, Tenth, this isn't Canada. These people will fight tooth and nail to force their religious right to public disapproval, discrimination and bigotry. Amen!

Should we kill 'em or just lock them types up?

Or try something wacky like forgive them, be patient, and talk with them.

Dunno.

I say shewt 'em.

With assault guns.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
I think I remembered reading that there are rules in place that allow for people to opt out of "things" for religious reasons (provided that there is another person with the same title that is able and willing to perform the work). In this case, there were other clerks that had offered to handle the gay marriage stuff.

No. Each county has one clerk.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

What happens when that clerk goes on vacation? Or gets sick?
(Not trying to be argumentative, just seems odd.... then again, we are talking about a government agency).

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Under the law, they are in contempt of court. They should (and will) be fined or jailed if they don't do their jobs. The law has been extremely patient and has talked with them. What do you want?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Here in the U.K you cannot use religious grounds as a defence in a discrimination case, and rightly so.

If you genuinely believe that it is compromising your beliefs to such an extent, then leave your job. It's that simple really.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

If you genuinely believe that it is compromising your beliefs to such an extent, then leave your job. It's that simple really.

Thats basically how I see myself handling that situation if it was applicable.

link   

A Federal Judge has ordered Kim Davis and her staff to court. Source

A county clerk in Kentucky who invoked "God's authority" Tuesday for defying the U.S. Supreme Court on gay marriage has been summoned by a federal judge to explain why she should not be fined or jailed for contempt.

They're giving her EVERY possible opportunity to do her job. It's time for action.
edit on 9/1/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Under the law, they are in contempt of court. They should (and will) be fined or jailed if they don't do their jobs. The law has been extremely patient and has talked with them. What do you want?

Personally? If this was a civilian position instead of a government position, the person would already have been fired, have a heavy fine, gotten run out of town, and would never be able to find work again, and would be universally hated and reviled by the leftists.

She should be fired, in my humble.

She should have been at the beginning.

Her job is to issue marriage licences.

If she can't do her job, then find someone who can.

But do we really need to hate and insult her?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I hear ya.

It seems jobs aren't so scarce afterall because these people have no problem taking the risk of losing their paycheques. It's great that people stand by their convictions, but come on... a job is a job is a job. Your convictions will not put a roof over your head and food in your family's belly. Priorities... paycheque first, faith later.

NEWSFLASH:

Your employer's place of business is not your personal little church to practice your religious beliefs. It's not the time, nor the place for it. You're there to do a job, get paid, and go home. End of story.

If you don't want to do your job, there are plenty of people who will be more than happy to fill your position.

Employers are not there to cater to each individual's personal little whim.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I don't know the answer to that question. The Clerk is head of the division and employs a staff, but I don't know what happens when they go on vacation. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I don't know the answer to that question. The Clerk is head of the division and employs a staff, but I don't know what happens when they go on vacation. Sorry.

It probably depends on the size of the county. Some heavily populated counties would have more than one person authorized to issue marriage licenses via a delegation of authority. Some sparsely populated counties, probably don't have a staff at all for the clerk.

In some of the counties I've had to work with in North Dakota, the County Clerk is also the Recorder, the lone Postal employee, etc... I wish I was making that up!

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Yeah, I mean I don't wish her any ill for following her convictions.

I do think she's acting like a petulant child, and I think so would most people, but she's probably a nice person.

A nice person who is about to go to jail for no reason but her own refusal to do her job.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Just one more example of a slowly growing trend. People in positions of "authority" abusing their power and ignoring the law. That's why we have things like secret prisons, unconstitutional gun laws, and sanctuary cities.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy

In some of the counties I've had to work with in North Dakota, the County Clerk is also the Recorder, the lone Postal employee, etc... I wish I was making that up!
I remember a long time ago speaking with someone who's brother lived in some tiny town somewhere down south and he was (and got paid individually for being) the letter carrier, post office clerk and postmaster. I'd like to think they corrected that by now but who knows.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Agreed.
If God doesn't want Kim to marry two gay people... Well, Kim better find a new job!

edit on b000000302015-09-01T12:04:35-05:0012America/ChicagoTue, 01 Sep 2015 12:04:35 -05001200000015 by butcherguy because: Spelling.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join