It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got White Privilege? College Students Flunked for Using “Oppressive and Hateful Language”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Insanity Continues. I don't know what else to say other then do not fund these so called Colleges and send your kids elsewhere.

www.shtfplan.com...

Free speech has officially failed.

Reports are pouring in that the politically-correct politics surrounding the term ‘white privilege’ are gaining traction at many universities.

Plenty of professors at various colleges across the nation are confronting students with racial and ethnic issues, and decimating their grades if they aren’t sensitive enough to the use of delicate terminology.

Campus Reform reported on political correctness gone too far:

www.campusreform.org...

Several other WSU professors require their students to “acknowledge that racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, and other institutionalized forms of oppression exist” or that “we do not live in a post-racial world.”

Washington State students risk a failing grade in one course if they use any common descriptors professor considers “oppressive and hateful language.”

Multiple professors at Washington State University have explicitly told students their grades will suffer if they use terms such as “illegal alien,” "male," and “female,” or if they fail to “defer” to non-white students.

edit on Mon Aug 31 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Massive Academic Failure.

What are they trying to prove anyway?

ultra-Authoritarian policies always fail.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Too bad this academic doesn't understand the context of power must be considered when the language is used.
Peer to peer insults are not an act of oppression.

It's all about power and subordination.

Think it matters when some redneck call POTUS a n*gger? No. It's materially irrelevant. Irrelevant means don't waste energy on it. Think it matters if a black man calls a cop a cracker pig? No. It's irrelevant. Of course power and subordination makes all the difference.

When a cop or someone with actual power over you uses that term with intent, it's a whole different ballgame. It's essentially state sponsored terrorism.
edit on 31-8-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

When a cop or someone with actual power over you uses that term with intent, it's a whole different ballgame. It's essentially state sponsored terrorism.

It's amazing you turned this into a cop thread. Good show!

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
They don't have to take these classes. None of them seem to be a class where the requirement can't be met by another. Judging by the titles of the courses, I would imagine the professors are fairly strict in what they see as inappropriate.

To defer would mean to understand their experiences as real. Also, the professor who doesn't like male/female, prefers men/women. I think because male/female would make assumptions about preferences, such as the color pink or blue.

It's detailed, but it's their course to teach and those who don't want to take it don't have to.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

It's detailed, but it's their course to teach and those who don't want to take it don't have to.

"Yet"

But I bet those who do will be questioning those who didn't.

Enter the "neener neener" and stereotyping complex.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

The question is - Do students know going in what the profs are going to require or do they only find out after they have signed up for the section and are sitting there on day one?

You can't call it voluntary unless all those requirements are in the course catalog.

For example, I took a class called US History Since 1867. I had no way of knowing that the professor was going to teach the entire course through the lens of African-American racial politics. That was nowhere in the course description, but that was exactly how the course was taught.

edit on 31-8-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

their grades will suffer if they use terms such as [...] "male," and “female,”

just off the top of my head there are about 17 things i can call someone that are way more offensive than male/female

i hope these remain isolated events and do not set a trend.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The question is - Do students know going in what the profs are going to require or do they only find out after they have signed up for the section and are sitting there on day one?

You can't call it voluntary unless all those requirements are in the course catalog.

For example, I took a class called US History Since 1867. I had no way of knowing that the professor was going to teach the entire course through the lens of African-American racial politics. That was nowhere in the course description, but that was exactly how the course was taught.

You can always drop/add within so many days. It can be up to 2 weeks at some universities. Some syllabuses are available beforehand, especially if the class was taught before.

In your case, you had the right to be surprised, the class title didn't give any clues as to that. In the case of these classes, gender and ethnic studies haven't changed a lot over the years.

There was a case in the news not too long ago where one class exercise recommended that one be nude. It was not required, though. This information was given on day one. The students who complained to the media, waited until this class exercise-something to do with emotional openness- had already happened. They knew weeks in advance and became outraged only after the fact.
edit on 31-8-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

Course catalogs don't always have every detail. A short description, how many credits, what requirement it might fill, if there are prerequisite courses. That sort of thing.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

But you don't see a difference between studying gender and ethnicity and enforcing grade drops if someone uses the "wrong" language? You don't find that the tiniest but draconian. Btw, how does one study gender if one is prohibited from using the language set up to describe it?

Not only that, but if you need the course to fulfill a requirement and you are drop, you are SOL on easily finding another to take its place at that late hour. Not only do you have to find one, but you often have to play the waiting list game assuming, of course, the professor will entertain letting you join late.

Sometimes, students have to carry required course loads.

edit on 31-8-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

But it goes beyond that. There are classes that students are required to take where this occurs. There are even majors where professors will come right out and tell students they will have trouble passing courses because they are white, especially white males.

I have a family member who was forced to change majors at a large state university because of this.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

But you don't see a difference between studying gender and ethnicity and enforcing grade drops if someone uses the "wrong" language? You don't find that the tiniest but draconian. Btw, how does one study gender if one is prohibited from using the language set up to describe it?

Not only that, but if you need the course to fulfill a requirement and you are drop, you are SOL on easily finding another to take its place at that late hour. Not only do you have to find one, but you often have to play the waiting list game assuming, of course, the professor will entertain letting you join late.

Sometimes, students have to carry required course loads.

It is a little draconian. If your degree will be in say, gender studies or cultural studies, there will be many courses to pick from at the 300 level at WSU.

It is a big university. If you drop a class on day 1, you will be able to add another on day 1.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Multicultural courses are taught in most universities and require an understanding of other cultures and exclude racist views. Students who don't "get it" are asked to leave the class, and sometimes the actual field of study. This is not something new, but somebody making a big deal out of something old.
edit on 8/31/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Actually, not always. There are some students who wouldn't be able to.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

But it goes beyond that. There are classes that students are required to take where this occurs. There are even majors where professors will come right out and tell students they will have trouble passing courses because they are white, especially white males.

I have a family member who was forced to change majors at a large state university because of this.

There are core classes that should not have a slant- like Algebra 101 for instance. There is a complaint process if that happens. No one forced your your family member to change anything, they just didn't follow the complaint process or sue.

That is an anecdote and I am not sure that actually happens.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

have a family member who was forced to change majors at a large state university because of this.

I have known students who maintained racist views in a major which required working with people of different cultures,
to be "relocated" to another field of study. Which is how it should be. For example, a racist should not be a social worker or a psychologist, and those disciplines don't want those people having their degrees. It doesn't speak well for the university.

edit on 8/31/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Actually, not always. There are some students who wouldn't be able to.

Wouldn't be able to what?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Insanity Continues. I don't know what else to say other then do not fund these so called Colleges and send your kids elsewhere.

Aah...all aboard the defund train! lol

You can send your children to whatever school you wish.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Meanwhile..... on page 3 Hillary Clinton is telling more lies!

The politically-correct is actually hiding the politically-wrong!
it's all politically-wrong....
edit on 31-8-2015 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Aah...all aboard the defund train! lol

You can send your children to whatever school you wish.

I did, I sent her to a "real college" and she is a cardiac nurse.

Don't fund useless institutions who teach useless classes for a useless degree that won't get you a job and put them 50K in debt then cry that you have a useless degree, nobody will hire you, and someone should pay for your dumb ass mistake going in debt to pay useless teachers teaching useless classes.

edit on 31-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join