It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Say Climate Change Has Reached the ‘Point of No Return’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

WE ARE ALL DOOMED! AHHHH!

THROW ALL LOGIC AND REASONING TO THE WIND!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I am already on track with the first 4 points of their 5 point plan...but I REFUSE to become a vagetarian.

edit on 14-8-2015 by Danke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese
Good luck with that. Research shows vegans are dying from heart attack at equal rates to meat eaters. The culprit seems to be complex. Some recommendations I've heard are:
1) Get iodine from salt or supplements
2) 3+ (not much more) table spoons ground flax seed per day (make sure you freeze it in a dark place because it goes rancid after about a month from heat and light... and it sits in stores for a long time before you buy it.
NOTE.... The mediterranean diet is a 4/1 Omega-6/Omega-3 ratio. The standard US diet is 20/1. This is bad because AA (Omega-6 created it) increases inflammation. So look at your diet and the ratio it has. The ground flax seed is a sloppy way to try to mediterraneanize the american 20/1 ratio.

3) No cooking oils or any fatty food... but this rule isn't universal... again, it's complicated and you can't take my word on this
4) Take vitamin B12 supplements
5) Take Zinc supplements or supplement it in your diet through careful plannin
6) Get a variety of vegetables/etc in your diet

Ray Kurzweil (the famous futurist) wrote and published a book relating to this. His family apparently has inheritable heart problems, so he tried researching the topic some 30 years ago now:
en.wikipedia.org - The 10% Solution for a Healthy Life...

There might be slight benefits to going vegan, but since it's so easy to mess things up nutritionally, best case the only benefit is the mental relief you get from knowing you're not eating an animal. Problem is so many vegans will not know hte rules and will be nutritionally deficient. Fact of the matter is, I myself am probably wrong. It's easy to be wrong.

You're probably better off just eating less meat or animal products as opposed to eating none at all. Eat everything in moderation. I know it sounds goofy, but eating a little of everything is balanced.
edit on 14-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The planetary biosphere collapse is alot like skidding on ice at highway speeds.

You can plainly see you are going to crash. And frantically fiddling with the controls in panic does nothing to stop it from crashing. But at least you can say you tried right before you impact.

Anybody watch the movie "The Road"?
edit on 14-8-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

You can plainly see you are going to crash. And frantically fiddling with the controls in panic does nothing to stop it from crashing. But at least you can say you tried right before you impact.
The "fiddling" started a long time ago. But this is not exactly a crash we are talking about, it is on ongoing process. The rate of which could be slowed. By slowing the rate of change it would allow more time to adapt. More time to reduce the misery which will ensue.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

Good luck with that. Research shows vegans are dying from heart attack at equal rates to meat eaters.

This is false.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: beezzer

No. They didn't.

I was born in the sixties and remember the 70's well.

Back then it was acid rain and the next Ice Age that were the big scare.

Google Earth Day.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That will ensue nonetheless.

Face it folks, we are of the last generations. Whether this one, or the next, or the next. It will happen and it cant be stopped short of delay to the next generation to deal with it.
edit on 14-8-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

Back then it was acid rain and the next Ice Age that were the big scare.
SO2 trading helped manage the acid rain thing.
While the media were all over the worries of a handful of scientists, there were far more who were concerned about warming than cooling. They were right.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

That will ensue nonetheless.

So. Do nothing to ease it.
Good plan.

edit on 8/14/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

You know I never said that and it is quite alarming that was your reaction to my point.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
You likened the situation to a car crash. It isn't.
You said nothing can be done. It can.

And frantically fiddling with the controls in panic does nothing to stop it from crashing.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Well dammit Phage, get on that Batphone to John Lithgow and tell him that China is burning 100X more coal than they are reporting, and that they are being super duper bad and need to stop it right now!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

And frantically fiddling with the controls in panic does nothing to stop it from crashing.

Things are definitely accelerating due to man's activities and the article does say that we are either past the point if no return or right at the edge. There are some options given for how to combat our accelerated demise but I don't think we'll be able to completely stop it, unfortunately. I think your point is that we'll be able to give ourselves time to develop a plan because time is running out.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Phage, Phage, Phage...

My analogy does not suggest a ten second kaboom. No more than human existance timeline suggests that is how long the earth has existed.

You defiantly suggest everything can be done. And problem will be fixed. That is incorrect and quite an innocent point of view. But that is exactly what the worlds leaders tell us.

Fact of the matter is, population growth isnt slowing down and resource consumption isnt either. Inevitably this will lead to considerably bigger issues that will make these we stress about look tame.

Face it, human demise is on an exponential rate of wasting this planet. It has happened before albiet from natural causes and it is suggested that at one point human existance in whatever form may have been reduced to as little as 30 breeding females.

I know, scary huh.

But to say we can continue to consume our earthly resources at current rates, while reducing each of our carbon footprints, is going to buy us time to discover a utopian solution that will save our ability to grow the populations at current exponential birth rates is, well to be kind, not going to happen.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3

Well dammit Phage, get on that Batphone to John Lithgow and tell him that China is burning 100X more coal than they are reporting, and that they are being super duper bad and need to stop it right now!

^^ lmfao

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

My analogy does not suggest a ten second kaboom.
You analogy, a car crash, lasts considerably less than 10 seconds. You analogy does not suggest an ongoing process.

You defiantly suggest everything can be done. And problem will be fixed.
Can you point out where I said that?

edit on 8/14/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Where is all this heat that everyone keeps raving about, certainly doesn't exist in australia at the moment. Gonna find some coal and set it alight to speed things on a little.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Apparently you have never lost control on an icy highway. I have. And the crash can take longer if you are pointed in the best direction.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Hey Phage! China called, and they said they are burning unfiltered coal like crazy and don't give a #.

I mean it's not like the Chinese government would ever control or censor what is really going in China...right Phage?

You are right though, the average westerner needs to be ashamed of their lifestyle and carbon footprints.

Might as well throw all us Westerners in jail for raping and murdering mother nature.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join