It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Say Climate Change Has Reached the ‘Point of No Return’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

And they want us all to be sickly dirty vegan hippies too.

Like this 300 lb NFL player?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: icewater

Yaaawnnnnnnnn!

The only people profiting from 'studies' are the ones funded by fossil fuel companies in order to deny it's happening.

1985 called and they want their smoking doesn't cause cancer argument back.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Thats not the point. They are saying because ice in a cup when it melts doesnt change the level of water in it [buoyancy of the ice and water displacement] then the ocean is the same way and in effect, sea water wont rise if ice caps melt.

Here is the problem, this is wrong because the ice caps are not all submerged in the oceans. So its not as if you have a cup filled with ice, its as if you have a cup with 50 ice cubes sitting outside of it, draining into the cup.

Now, does that make the cup overflow?

Hint: Obviously.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Do you know why gasoline is unleaded now days?

I can give you a brief history lesson on how scientists know climate change is happening, and we speed it up.
Once upon a time we used to put a toxic heavy metal in our gas, lead, a guy noticed something funny in the air and decided to travel around the world gathering data, core samples, etc and found lead pretty much in a thin layer around the entire planet.
This method was again used when the ozone literally had a hole in it over Australia from all the chemicals we used to pump into the air. Don't believe me go talk to any Australian about how they have early stages of skin cancer.

So yes. Climate change is happening, whether it's natural or not we are speeding it up.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

You are talking about a health issue which I agree with. Lead in gasoline was bad. Pumping polluted water into our rivers by industry is bad. The things we can do to clean our environment we should do. But for this nonsense about man made global warming to continue is creating unnecessary panic for nothing. Healthy living is important and we should expect clean air, water, environment from industry. But do not tell me that because I drive a SUV I am destroying anything, especially the environment.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Don't be naive. Government funding is being sent all over this country in the form of grants to encourage renewable energy, solar energy, clean water practices, the list is long.

It is funny you make a joke (a poor one admittedly) about 1985 but cannot learn from history. I have been hearing the alarms about our planet over heating since way before 1985 but I still haven't seen one city go under water (except New Orleans and they built it that way!) You see, I do not try to rewrite history. Rather, I learn from history so as not to repeat it. I know where this global warming nonsense came from and I know none of the predictions I have ever read have ever come true. I also know that the government has changed the data to show cooler temps in the 30's so they can claim the warm temps now reflect an upward trend in the data.

There was a report by some Ivy League Science group around 2007 that came out and everyone was excited about. It was long and tedious. The conclusion was that water levels were rising and cities would be underwater, Polar bears would have no place to live, blah blah blah. Same old stuff we have heard forever. It was on the news and circulated through some of the forums similar to this one. The problem was everyone was reacting to the headline. I actually took the time to read the very detailed technical report, pages and pages of technical analysis and data. The part about rising ocean levels said the oceans, since 1960 (approximately, I can't remember that detail) had risen 3mm. THREE MILLIMETERS! I do remember THAT detail. This was a prime example of these scientists creating something out of nothing to get more government funding. Yeah the water level had risen. But that is where it was convenient to stop reading. They buried that in this long boring report and managed to create a crisis the media jumped all over.

You apparently think that one should come up with a more contemporary argument but facts are facts. And you can't change them. What was true in 1985 is still true. And we are going to hear more of this nonsense with the 2016 election coming up. Democrats are going to foist these alarmist reports on us to generate panic because they think the American voter is naive and believes liberal democrats are the only ones who care about the environment and apparently can do something to improve it by raising our taxes. And they will fly all over this country on their chartered jets to tell us we must buy cars that get 30mpg and tell us what kind of light bulbs to use in our apartments.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Actually , you are mostly right. It was the failed push for communism in the 60s and 70s . Thats when all the "green" movement and mankind is destroying the earth movement started, I know , I WAS one of them.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Not really. Conservatives ties it to communism to scare people away. Who then wasn't terrified of being labeled a Communist?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Excellent! Thank you for admitting that. Most people, obviously, do not understand how it all got started. _javascript:icon('')

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

All studies have projected scenarios to come about by the end of the century with some recent ones having scenarios taking place by mid century.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Water world sounds fun! We can evolve and have gills...what could be better than that?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Danke

I needed a towel after watching that terrible movie.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Yeah, definitely not one of my favorites. I think Underwater World would have been a more interesting concept, and also a better survival strategy.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Not really. Conservatives ties it to communism to scare people away. Who then wasn't terrified of being labeled a Communist?

Not to be off-topic , but the whole hippie movement was about communes and saving the Earth . All people were evil. Society was evil .
No , it was not a "scare" tactic. It was for real . Communes and communism (pure) was the only way to save the world. Going back to a caveman way of life. See , technology is what frightened them into this. Because , along with advancement came danger , risks. Funny, now they call it progressive liberalism. Not really progressive.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

All studies have projected scenarios to come about by the end of the century with some recent ones having scenarios taking place by mid century.

All of them except for the ones that have failed already that is. Remember how the Arctic was going to be ice free by now? Remember how snow in London was going to be a thing of the past?

Both of those failed. So we don't hear about them anymore and soon after those failed MMGW become Climate Change. Do you know why? Because the climate always changes. That's what it does. It's always done it, but now we as a species have the hubris to think we can stop it from that as if we control some kind of planetary thermostat.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: icewater

Excellent! Thank you for admitting that. Most people, obviously, do not understand how it all got started. _javascript:icon('')

Which , by the way , was also the start and basis for progressive liberalism. A lot of us grew up and joined society that we hated , but never forgot .Still carried that with them into politics , education , mostly everywhere.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: watchitburn

Melting sea ice causes sea level rise huh?

Are you implying that it wouldn't?

Above sea level glaciers do but, most sea ice is by definition under water and shrinks when it liquifies do to the crystalline structure of frozen water.
edit on 14-8-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Does this mean it's time to drink the Kool-Aid ?

Yes! Cheers!

Should Old Acquaintance be forgot,
and never thought upon;
The flames of Love extinguished,
and fully past and gone:
Is thy sweet Heart now grown so cold,
that loving Breast of thine;
That thou canst never once reflect
On old long syne.

CHORUS:
On old long syne my Jo,
On old long syne,
That thou canst never once reflect,
On old long syne.

-James Watson?

(weird, huh?)
edit on 14-8-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Join the Mars club!
good ridans to man'unkind.

one day earth will try again.
and Not with humans.

2. Plant A Tree! ??
plant 1 a week each one of us.
it all was covered with trees long ago.
that why earth Has Air, had!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: icewater

You are talking about a health issue which I agree with. Lead in gasoline was bad. Pumping polluted water into our rivers by industry is bad. The things we can do to clean our environment we should do. But for this nonsense about man made global warming to continue is creating unnecessary panic for nothing. Healthy living is important and we should expect clean air, water, environment from industry. But do not tell me that because I drive a SUV I am destroying anything, especially the environment.

You were missing the point of my post. Tho incidents were man made, it shows that we can have global negative effects on this planet. And ii never said anything about global warming, I said climate change and we ar speeding up that process.

Its nothing political or opinion, or communist or what ever it's science.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join