It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Jet Awakens with the Seeds of Life

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ReturnofTheSonOfNothing
Well put. I'm glad you responded as that analogy is quite infuriating.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Great post. Thank you.

This mission is one of mankinds greateast achievements and the suprises are still to come, im sure. I remember when the Giotto probe tailed Haleys comet in 1986...i was 11 but my father took me to the university telescope in Riyadh to see the photos they had taken of the comet. They also showed us some taken by giotto, they were blurry photos taken from a distance but i couldnt belive i was looking at a comets nucleus!

And now we have landed on one! Incredible

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: ReturnofTheSonOfNothing

The more we look, the more it seems the necessary ingredients for organic life are abundant in the universe.

If a tornado passes through a junkyard full of car parts 10 billion times, do you think it'll ever build a functioning car?

If a long debunked creationist argument is repeated, do you think they'll ever understand evolutionary science?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: flyingfish
What a strange time in human history, while science is on the verge of discovering life outside our blue bubble and indeed may unravel the secrets of life itself, there are people still clinging onto mythology to describe reality.

Sad really..

They don't need to cling too hard after all the earth is flat according to some here...........

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It certainly seems that as we progress with more scientific knowledge and discoveries along the way, that the theory of abiogenesis is heading towards the notion that comets (et al) may very well be the little 'bumblebees' of the universe zipping around dropping bits of 'pollen' everywhere in their wake.

Panspermia indeed.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph
a reply to: flyingfish

What a strange time in human history, while science is on the verge of discovering life outside our blue bubble and indeed may unravel the secrets of life itself, there are people still clinging onto mythology to describe reality.
Sad really..

Unfortunately (for you), life existing outside of our own solar system does not in any way prove that "God" does not exist.

It doesn't prove anything except that life exists outside of the solar system...if indeed that is proven.
edit on 13-8-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Please. This is a well recognised fallacy in logic, called Hoyle's Fallacy or the Junkyard Fallacy. It relies on a mischaracterization of evolution as being random when it is not (mutations are random, but they are acted upon by non-random natural selection).

Abiogenesis is not a process of evolution as I am reminded every time the topic of creationism comes up.

It's also not a process of shaking up old discarded random parts and somehow reassembling them. Either way the fallacy applies.
edit on 13-8-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

How come a human cannot even begin to comprehend oneself's own brain organ but can create a supercomputer? How does our memory work. We don't know yet we can create memory for a supercomputer. The computer might one day become sentient and realize it's origins just as most of humans do... created. If we were not created we would MAKE babies instead of being like WTF! ITS A MIRACLE! HOW THE F DID THAT HAPPEN?!? All u did was have sex. The rest just happened with no explanation and with no input from u. (No pun intent on the word "input")
edit on 13/8/2015 by Gyo01 because: Lol

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
It certainly seems that as we progress with more scientific knowledge and discoveries along the way, that the theory of abiogenesis is heading towards the notion that comets (et al) may very well be the little 'bumblebees' of the universe zipping around dropping bits of 'pollen' everywhere in their wake.

Panspermia indeed.

Thats why it's a great discovery! This will help us better understand the chemicals and processes involved in the formation of life. Some day soon, in the very near future, we will come close to understanding what's going on and be able to recreate similar results in the lab.

This is a great time in history, there are some real exciting theories being researched in Quantum biology that, to be frank, blow my mind.. It's such a young science that filling the gaps in the "magic" of life is becoming a real reality and discovery abounds. And yes! I want to be there!

Although many examples can be found in the scientific literature dating back half a century, there is still no widespread acceptance that quantum mechanics -- that baffling yet powerful theory of the subatomic world -- might play an important role in biological processes.
Biology is, at its most basic, chemistry, and chemistry is built on the rules of quantum mechanics in the way atoms and molecules behave and fit together.

Read more

Feed your head!

edit on fThursday152486f243606 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gyo01

How come a human cannot even begin to comprehend oneself's own brain organ but can create a supercomputer? How does our memory work. We don't know yet we can create memory for a supercomputer.

These are questions for a neuroscientist, but you would have to be living in a cave not to appreciate the fact that our understanding of the workings of the brain has improved dramatically, particularly in recent years, thanks to advances in microbiology, molecular biology, electrophysiology and computer science. It has become possible to understand the complex processes involved in the functioning of individual neurons - cells which little more than a century ago were not even known to exist.

We know from advances in genetics exactly which genes are expressed in the brain, and our work in cognitive neuroscience, specifically in neural-correlates is slowly pulling back the curtain of consciousness itself, allowing us to effectively map exact locations in the brain to certain behaviours.

We are garnering an ever increasing understanding of the systems and 'circuitry' of the brain relating to things like reflexes, autonomic responses, circadian rythms, emotional responses, and, yes even memory.

Do we still have much to learn? Of course, but to suggest we know little or nothing is, at this stage, either willful ignorance or flat out dishonesty.

The computer might one day become sentient and realize it's origins just as most of humans do... created. If we were not created we would MAKE babies instead of being like WTF! ITS A MIRACLE! HOW THE F DID THAT HAPPEN?!? All u did was have sex. The rest just happened with no explanation and with no input from u. (No pun intent on the word "input")

I'm sorry, but I am having difficulty pinning down your argument here - that passage above seems to lack coherence. Care to take another crack at it? Because as it's written there I'm not getting it.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

a reply to: flyingfish

Fascinating. S&F'd

The more we look, the more it seems the necessary ingredients for organic life are abundant in the universe.

Yeah, organic materials to sustain life is all over the universe. The problem is finding life, because space is so huge, it's not happening any time soon.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

If a tornado passes through a junkyard full of car parts 10 billion times, do you think it'll ever build a functioning car?

If a long debunked creationist argument is repeated, do you think they'll ever understand evolutionary science?

Nope.....

How many times do we have to find "seeds of life" before LIFE exists out there?

This isn't the first time....BTW

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Nope.....

1) What does this have to do with what I posted?

2) FInding the seeds of life doesn't guarantee that life will be there. It is quite apparent that the seeds are bountiful in this universe. It is very plausible that there is life out there somewhere.

3) see 1)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Nope.....

1) What does this have to do with what I posted?

2) FInding the seeds of life doesn't guarantee that life will be there. It is quite apparent that the seeds are bountiful in this universe. It is very plausible that there is life out there somewhere.

3) see 1)

Oh only when convenient? Sounds familiar in similar conversations I have on here.....

Yep, quite apparent.....LIFE ALL OVER THIS PLACE!!! If you mean Earth then you are correct.....Other than that? Try again....Or show it

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Oh only when convenient? Sounds familiar in similar conversations I have on here.....

I'm really not following you...

Yep, quite apparent.....LIFE ALL OVER THIS PLACE!!! If you mean Earth then you are correct.....Other than that? Try again....Or show it

Did I say that? Show me where I said that.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Sure:

Again....VERY plausible....Those seeds of life are all over the place, we should have no problem finding them out there.....somewhere right?

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Please argue against the words I said, not the words you wish I said:

LIFE ALL OVER THIS PLACE!!!

Spot the operative word.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Don't forget the VERY part....

If something is very plausible what exactly does that mean to you then? The VERY is the key term, its a hint just for you....

If something is plausible, it's reasonable or believable. Things that are plausible could easily happen. A woman becoming President is very plausible. A giraffe becoming President is not.

No, it is neither very reasonable nor very believable....

Sorry if you can't comprehend your own words
edit on 8/14/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

PLAUSIBLE.

Not CERTAIN.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

PLAUSIBLE.

Not CERTAIN.

See I knew you couldn't comprehend your own words.....I put the freaking definition above just for you....

Oh well....

Again, PLAUSIBLE = Believable or Reasonable.....Very means even more than that....Care to retract prior foot entering mouth?
edit on 8/14/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join