It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Jet Awakens with the Seeds of Life

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
No Aliens announced yet but, as Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko approaches its closest point to the Sun, new findings from Rosetta have detected a high porosity, icy environment teaming with organic compounds in a landscape surrounded in an atmosphere of gas, dust and plasma. The extended mission is sure to bring more surprises as data pours in.

Many of these compounds are key ingredients for life, and four of them, Propanal, Propanone, Ethanamide, and Isocyanatomethane have never been detected on a comet. This can give us great insight into the origins of life, and help researchers determine the chemistry involved in generating none living compounds to living compounds.

On July 29th Rosetta’s OSIRIS narrow-angle camera captures images of the Comet spewing out gasses, dust and organics into the solar system.

On 29 July, Rosetta observed the most dramatic outburst yet, registered by several of its instruments from their vantage point 186 km from the comet. They imaged the outburst erupting from the nucleus, witnessed a change in the structure and composition of the gaseous coma environment surrounding Rosetta, and detected increased levels of dust impacts.
Perhaps most surprisingly, Rosetta found that the outburst had pushed away the solar wind magnetic field from around the nucleus.

Read more

Jet burst in action 06:13 GMT on the 12th of March.

Images

What a strange time in human history, while science is on the verge of discovering life outside our blue bubble and indeed may unravel the secrets of life itself, there are people still clinging onto mythology to describe reality.
Sad really..

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: flyingfish

Fascinating. S&F'd

The more we look, the more it seems the necessary ingredients for organic life are abundant in the universe.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Controlled panspermia events always comes to mind when considering celestial objects like this that may contain building blocks of life.
Locate- region
Then launch the seeds that will grow in that specific region...
The intelligence that would be required to do such would be/seem mythical.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Fascinating, indeed!

originally posted by: flyingfish
What a strange time in human history, while science is on the verge of discovering life outside our blue bubble and indeed may unravel the secrets of life itself, there are people still clinging onto mythology to describe reality.
Sad really..

Unfortunately, I can only see more noise from those who use mythology to describe reality. More population? Certainly not. The ill informed and ignorant, yet intelligent members of those groups will only tend to escape those delusions as education becomes more apparent and available.

However, the few that desperately cling to their fairy-tales-for-adults will only lash out in an attempt to obtain themselves from accepting reality.

Bring your earplugs, it's going to be loud.
edit on 12/8/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

How do you know the comet didn't originate from Earth?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Sad really..

Unfortunately (for you), life existing outside of our own solar system does not in any way prove that "God" does not exist.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Nice find, I love all this space stuff and the sentiment at the end made me a little frisky lol I agree and would like to sign up to your newsletter sir!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Double post please remove me.
edit on 12-8-2015 by Siris because: double post

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

Sad really..

Unfortunately (for you), life existing outside of our own solar system does not in any way prove that "God" does not exist.

Unfortunately for me? I never said anything about a creator, such gods exits only in a vacuum of evidence. I'm open to the possibility of a creator, understanding natures process does in no way rule out a creator.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

How do you know the comet didn't originate from Earth?

I don't, but my vote would be it originated from the Kuiper Belt, knocked from it's orbit and crossed into the inner solar system.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: flyingfish

Sad really..

Unfortunately for me? I never said anything about a creator, such gods exits only in a vacuum of evidence. I'm open to the possibility of a creator, understanding natures process does in no way rule out a creator.

so this was purely an unintentional jab at who, exactly?

there are people still clinging onto mythology to describe reality.

People have used myths, analogies, and parables to describe reality since they've been people. They will continue to do so as long as they are people.

Assuming that a belief in a particular religion automatically makes one incapable of comprehending a cosmos teeming with life is a bit presumptuous, don't you think?
edit on 12-8-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

If you have not noticed there are plenty of creationist in these forums that have a tenuous grasp on reality at best.
So.. yes, a particular religion can make one incapable of comprehending a cosmos teeming with life, among other things as origins.
Stick around or read every other thread in this forum and enjoy the lunacy.

And, you never answered my question.
what do mean "Unfortunately (for you)," You want to explain this?
edit on fWednesday1535811f354311 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Isn't that a big non-sequitor? This doesn't disprove leprechauns either. It does not disprove pixies, elves, fairies, unicorns, Xanadu, dropbears or hyper-intelligent shades of the colour blue.

These things are disregarded as being real because of the lack of evidence for their existence, not because of some fanciful 'disproof'.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReturnofTheSonOfNothing

The more we look, the more it seems the necessary ingredients for organic life are abundant in the universe.

If a tornado passes through a junkyard full of car parts 10 billion times, do you think it'll ever build a functioning car?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

If a tornado passes through a junkyard full of car parts 10 billion times, do you think it'll ever build a functioning car?

Please. This is a well recognised fallacy in logic, called Hoyle's Fallacy or the Junkyard Fallacy. It relies on a mischaracterization of evolution as being random when it is not (mutations are random, but they are acted upon by non-random natural selection).

It also assumes the ultimate goal of evolution is complex living organisms - another misconception.

The assumption that the only alternative is an intelligent designer is also a false dichotomy and an argument from ignorance.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Please. This is a well recognised fallacy in logic, called Hoyle's Fallacy or the Junkyard Fallacy. It relies on a mischaracterization of evolution as being random when it is not (mutations are random, but they are acted upon by non-random natural selection).

Abiogenesis is not a process of evolution as I am reminded every time the topic of creationism comes up.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

with the Seeds of Life

what seeds of life?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

You're the one who bought it up, whether in regards to evolution or to abiogenesis the fallacy is the same. How do you know the molecular processes which lead to the perfection of DNA itself wasn't subject to it's own non-random selection process anyway? How do you know it was random? You don't and it very likely wasn't.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I resent that! It will at least build a rudimentary mouse trap. From evolution we will then get the car!

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I propose this is moved to the Hoax bin; after all all you've shown is a comet. Something to do with the T & Cs

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join