It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is The Single GREATEST Invention of ALL TIME?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I'd have to say musical instruments and recording equipment. Life would be so dull without it.
Toilet paper would be another. It makes life easier. Soap would be another.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
Probably language, without language we would not be capable of even having this discussion right now.

Language is a good choice, but where did language originate from? Do you not need something else for language to exist? How about letters? However, even language is not necessary for us to communicate. If we wanted to there are other ways. Besides, I sometimes wish language did not get invented. Think about all the different ways it has caused problems.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

No, silly, trees are very abrasive and as a I said, using trees is bad for the ecology. Put your tiny little thinking cap on and come up with a better solution.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Anesthetics - Imagine being without it when you need it.

Bonded abrasives - The development of sharpening methods has made all forms of industry possible

Metrology - Measurement has enabled precise duplication and interchangeability.

That's my three.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I have used Mullein leaves before, I would say I prefer it to TP.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

I'd have to say musical instruments and recording equipment. Life would be so dull without it.
Toilet paper would be another. It makes life easier. Soap would be another.

Musical instruments, good one, but even they need other inventions to be made. Already shot down toilet paper. Soap needs other elements, like a mold and a vat and fragrance (sometimes), many different types of soap.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

You are an absolute charmer

The *first* rock that was thrown became a missile and a weapon (not a simple rock) demonstrating tool-use and planning. That moment in time (or moments) represented a shift in consciousness that, ultimately, led to the cutting edges of technology we use today.

In a real sense, it took intelligence and creativity to not see a rock and to, instead, see a missile. In that context, yes, it was an invention.

Why have you asked people to share their ideas when you've dismissed or scorned their ideas? Maybe you should have just told us all what YOU have already decided?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: newthings
Anesthetics - Imagine being without it when you need it.

Bonded abrasives - The development of sharpening methods has made all forms of industry possible

Metrology - Measurement has enabled precise duplication and interchangeability.

That's my three.

None of these exist without another invention. There is no need for for anesthesia, that is a cop out to not deal with pain, however, there are natural forms. How do things get sharpened and what invention was needed before industry took place? What is being used to do the measuring?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I prefer cotton. I take strips of cotton rags and reuse them, they go in a closed container and into the hot water with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, washed, dried and reused.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Medicine or medical treatments.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
a reply to: nwtrucker

Beer is a good choice, how do you make beer? Requires farm implements of some kind or an aging process, beer doesn't just happen, there are some other inventions necessary, right?

If beer can't be considered, then you have to distill this all down to "fire". Because beer is old. Incredibly old. Like, the dawn of civilization old. To get to beer, you have to get to an agrarian culture of some sort, where you can collect enough starchy grains that some yeast can float on the breeze into a vat of mushy, wet grains.

There is no "invention" that doesn't require something else first. Unless you are talking using a rock as an implement, or using a stick or something.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Nikola Tesla

For his contributions to the design of the modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system.

Think about it, what do we use everyday and take for granted, but we can't currently live without due to convenience.

AC Electricity, Tesla had even greater inventions but all classified and suppressed, hell Nikola Tesla in my opinion unwillingly gave DARPA a scientfic model to go by for future projects and theory to go off of when the FED's stole all his stuff as soon as he died.

The man has inspired everyone from people to video games lol........A real genius in my mind......

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

My choices are categories, not things.
Anesthetics - Imagine being without it when you need it. Yah, I am a cop out.

I submit the invention/development of abrasive bonding was a pivotal leap in what could be accomplished in an industrial process.

Again, this is a concept, not a specific tool. Anything can be used as a measuring tool. Build a crude measuring tool and that allows the building of the next.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

How about you tell us what the best invention is because everything that has been suggested you say no so just tell us what are opinion should be.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

You are an absolute charmer

The *first* rock that was thrown became a missile and a weapon (not a simple rock) demonstrating tool-use and planning. That moment in time (or moments) represented a shift in consciousness that, ultimately, led to the cutting edges of technology we use today.

In a real sense, it took intelligence and creativity to not see a rock and to, instead, see a missile. In that context, yes, it was an invention.

Why have you asked people to share their ideas when you've dismissed or scorned their ideas? Maybe you should have just told us all what YOU have already decided?

Okay, clearly I struck a nerve somewhere. I did ask for opinions. I am not dismissing or scorning. I am debating and offering my opinion.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BlessedLore

A very well thought out reply. Thank you. Even electricity required other inventions first though. To me the GREATEST invention would be the one that required nothing first in order to exist, so what could that be?

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Soulpower, that would have surprised me if anyone else said that, but not you.

All I have to say is I am speechless.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
a reply to: bananashooter

I prefer cotton. I take strips of cotton rags and reuse them, they go in a closed container and into the hot water with hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, washed, dried and reused.

You call that environmentally friendly? Putting baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, soap, and **** back in to the environment and water table, plus the use of fossile fuels to wash and dry.... When a simple wipe and flush make more sense.

Sorry amigo....I'm calling BS.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Was fire invented? Wasn't fire discovered? There may be some processes using fire and different ways to produce fire, those were invented.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well, I can't decide what I believe is the best invention ever.

However, the most fascinating invention to me is the carburetor. It's so simple and it just... works. Basically it's just a venturi (tube that narrows then re-expands, to put it simply) with fuel introduced into it... when the tube re-expands, the reduction in air pressure vaporizes the fuel so that it can burn for an internal combustion engine. It uses nothing but the vacuum created by the intake of the engine itself to do this. I just love simple solutions for complex machines.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join