It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With all the talk of firearms, what about other arms? Guns, swords, long knives, spears, ect?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

the husband, where his movement's big and expressive with circular blocks and movements. where they tense and powerful with deep stances? where they short and compact with a hunched over body? short linear strikes? or steikes mimicking animals etc...can help narrow down what he probably practiced.
edit on 1-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

You know a lot about this stuff. You're pretty cool.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
In Batokukan sparring we learned to utilize your peripheral vision instead of staring directly at your opponent so you could observe all of their limbs.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

A combination of a lot of that, though the circular movements do dominate. It's a very open style, upright and flowing. Very much like a dance, but not. If that makes any sense...

Hands and arms mostly. The movement I would find very distracting if it were aimed in my direction. Sometimes he will close up, but only to reopen almost instantly. Always makes me thing of a flower blossom...

Does this help?
edit on 8/1/2015 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Makes sense, is also useful for being more aware of your surroundings as well. Your opponent is never the only threat in a fight.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

thank you sir! I say the same regarding you.

speaking of knife work. this guy is a pretty scary mountain man and does a hybrid of traditional Javanese silat and Chinese kuntau (umbrella term for chinese martial arts that were shared and adopted/intergrated by the locals of south east asian port towns from Malaysia, vietnam, to the Philippines all the way down to Bali and east java.)

you'll see Chinese animal systems combined with javanese silat animal systems. fast forward about a minute. he has a ridiculously long intro thing going on with some folk music or whatever.

m.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

maybe choy li fut?

m.youtube.com...

white crane?
m.youtube.com...

my personal favorite of arts from that area. bak mei.

bak mei with more of a shaolin influence.
m.youtube.com...

bak Mei with more if an influence from the hakka communuty. notice the different expression of the body mechanics and power generation behind the strikes. same techniques and routine as previous video, different masters and lineages so tgey look totally different.

m.youtube.com...

any if the above styles get in the ballpark?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
ok ok final video. I've sorta geeked out on this thread.

excellent video showing in my opinion how many martial arts transitioned from a traditional battlefield arts using weapons to empty hand arts. and why the two are connected on a fundamental level.
it's an ancient Indian art that influenced Chinese , Persian and south east asian arts alike. you'll see what looks like Tai chi. what looks like silat/wing chun. stuff that looks like sword fighting and stuff that straight out of some dirty street fighting knife tactics. this dudes got a impressive following ie UK and really knows his stuff. great demonstration of how traditional weapons and empty hand are interelated.

m.youtube.com...
edit on 1-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: damn my android auto correct is killing me

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Also low grade predators demand you look into their eyes in order to distract you from their hands and feet.
Usually by changes in facial expressions or the "Flinch" game to get you to jump.
edit on 1-8-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
almost any object of sufficient weight or sharpness is a potential weapon. a pencil kicked into the ear is deadly. should pencils be banned? a fist can inflict fatal damage. how does one ban bodily appendages? a simple plastic bag will asphyxiate somebody if wrapped tight around their head. plastic bags are given away in stores. the means of inflicting injury and/or death to another human are literally endless.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

white eyebrow all the way

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
With all the talk of firearms, what about other arms? Guns, swords, long knives, spears, ect?

They are banned too.

They are regulated too.

Funny thing there is.

All those pointing things in every American's kitchen.

LOL.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The point was that nobody is pushing back against this apparent infringement on the 2nd.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

As long as knife can be hidden

I say carry it as often as you can with receipt from the store if cops get ya

Heheh

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I keep a very sharp ninja kitana by my bedside each night and close by during the day. It's not the same as a gun but it's something.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Creative people can turn most things into a weapon, this is nothing but an illusion of safety.

Like a metal cofee cup. Hear those can be deadly when the edges are jagged. Just remember to push up under the rib cage.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I know a retired world champion kickboxer (super nice guy) who was once cut in a street fight when the assailant threw a CD at him like a frisbee and it sliced his cheek open. anything can be turned into a weapon. personally I like to use crappy CDs as beer coasters not ninja stars but hey.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

I know a retired world champion kickboxer (super nice guy) who was once cut in a street fight when the assailant threw a CD at him like a frisbee and it sliced his cheek open. anything can be turned into a weapon. personally I like to use crappy CDs as beer coasters not ninja stars but hey.

hey at least it wasnt a huge laser disc. he might a lost his head!!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
yeah right. he got lucky it wasn't a laser disc.

in Jr high there was a girl who had those lady gaga style stilleto nails and would terrorize the boy's trying to scratch and claw them. I swear I think she thought she was the evil henchwonen from that movie volunteers. but it worked we all ran when she'd bare those. so she successfully weaponized her hands in her own way.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
yeah right. he got lucky it wasn't a laser disc.

in Jr high there was a girl who had those lady gaga style stilleto nails and would terrorize the boy's trying to scratch and claw them. I swear I think she thought she was the evil henchwonen from that movie volunteers. but it worked we all ran when she'd bare those. so she successfully weaponized her hands in her own way.

I did that before. I sharpened my nails to points then put clear coat on them to harden them. Just to get back at someone. nearly slashed their throat open. i hit them under the chin and cut em really good though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join