It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN predicts 9.0 earthquake in bay area, california

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: concerned190
a reply to: Nyiah

So you think they just have ticker lines for all scenarios just ready? Theres alot of # that they would have to have ready. Plus it gave a magnitute. Plus there's this.www.intellihub.com...

That link is a great example of sensationalist reporting.

It's common knowledge that the San Andreas fault will let go again... someday. They spun that information into "scientists all agree... it's coming!"

They used Shepard Smith's statement: "if I lived on the coast, i'd move" right alongside the statement from the FEMA worker who said "our plan is x." The writer of the article is trying to make it look like FEMA is worried about an imminent disaster.

They took well-known information and several out-of-context lines to create an article that is incredibly misleading. Yes, there will be another big earthquake some day and yes, it will likely cause a tsunami that does a lot of damage but listening to fear-mongering nonsense like that doesn't do anyone a bit of good.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: concerned190

Wow, if true then that is scary.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Alaska and the Cascadia subduction zone are both quite capable of producing 9.0+. San Andreas and Hayward, I believe, could only manage a little less than an 8.0.

(Although...the Bay Area would certainly be rockin' and rollin' with an 8.0!!)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Isn't there a movie coming out (it might already be out) about a huge quake on the San Andreas? Is it possible that it is a clip from that movie? I know a bunch of people have been fooled by a movie sound clip that has been used in youtube videos that allegedly report weird trumpet sounds from the sky.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The BBC often do off-air rehearsals & practice runs for breaking news events - we're talking 9 | 11 magnitude things. Earlier this year during such a rehearsal they accidentally tweeted that the Queen was dead.

I'm wondering if something similar has happened here?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Every single time without fail that I decide to move to Venice beach I see news about Massive earthquakes and potential tsunamis, then I change my mind.
Is this an illuminati conspiracy?

Seriously though every single time. I should just give up the gamble I think. lol

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NiteNGale2
Isn't there a movie coming out (it might already be out) about a huge quake on the San Andreas? Is it possible that it is a clip from that movie? I know a bunch of people have been fooled by a movie sound clip that has been used in youtube videos that allegedly report weird trumpet sounds from the sky.

I actually thought this as well. I assumed someone paid Fox news to do a piece on it and its possibilities in order to bolster the box office revenue for the San andreas movie, as I have heard some pre screen reviews said it sucked.
Ill admit it looks pretty damn cheesy. They did this for several movies in the past, but for some reason Im having trouble remembering, I think one was an asteroid movie back in the 90s.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Just came across this on Drudge Report. I didn't see it posted in this thread.

I hope they are wrong about the earthquake.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

The fault that produced a 4.0-magnitude earthquake in Fremont early Tuesday morning is expected to produce a major earthquake “any day now” and Bay Area residents should be prepared, a U.S. Geological Survey scientist said.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
But that's where snoop lives

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Sounds like a prank, with someone playing around with the ticker, then getting it off fast before they got busted. That, or they were caught, and no one wants to admit it happened.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Oh please. There is HUGE difference between an entire produced segment and short line of typed text. It makes no sense to have an entire database of typed lines of text when you can just make them to order on the spot. Seriously, how slow do you think people type?

So you think these tag lines are produced on their own, and are not connected to any info sheet relating to the story?
You clearly don't know the first thing about how a newsroom or a broadcaster actually operates.
Most of them now use a variation of a system which includes the outline of the story, to be updated routinely, which the talking head has access to. The headline is often produce from this same page, to scroll across your screen.

This will not be a single line of text produced, it will be a part of a longer story which is then used across the business by all who need access to that story and the information in it.

The only possible reason to keep a ready made database would if they REALLY do make the news. I didn't think you were that kind of conspiracy theorist.

No, the reason to have a ready made database of PLAUSIBLE and LIKELY stories ready to go, on entire pages of information to be updated with the relevant details of that story, is if they want to be the FIRST ONES to report it.

You don't seem to understand how the news business works or how competitive it is. A second wasted on a story like that can mean the difference between getting almost all the attention, or none.

Contrast that with a ready made news segment that they would air when someone dies. Of course you know a former president (for example) will die, so you just work up a produced segment with generalize biographical information and maybe touch it up, but you can't create it on the fly like you just type up a headline.

They do this all the time, so clearly you're wrong. The information is taken as a headline from a database entry of predetermined content based on something YOU KNOW IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
There was an earthquake yesterday. I was awake early in the morning. Or late at night.
There's also this:

Warning of a major one coming. I don't like this one bit.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maximus0111
Just came across this on Drudge Report. I didn't see it posted in this thread.

I hope they are wrong about the earthquake.

The fault that produced a 4.0-magnitude earthquake in Fremont early Tuesday morning is expected to produce a major earthquake “any day now” and Bay Area residents should be prepared, a U.S. Geological Survey scientist said.

I was born and raised in the Bay Area. They say this after EVERY earthquake no matter the size.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Sounds like a prank, with someone playing around with the ticker, then getting it off fast before they got busted. That, or they were caught, and no one wants to admit it happened.

Rather like the one they played on the airline?

Remember that? Don't think that just because they work in the media that they're above being dicks.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

There is no magic database that they just hit go and it all appears in the system. You said yourself - they have tag lines. They still have someone enter it into the system.

They may know there will be a major quake in the bay area, but they don't and more importantly CAN'T know the particulars in advance, and it would be a colossal waste of time and effort to make up a ticker line for every. single possibility that could happen. Do you honestly think there is a ticker that says:

Major earthquake hits bay area 9.0
Major earthquake hits bay area 8.9
Major earthquake hits bar area 8.8
Major earthquake hits bay area 8.7
Major earthquake hits bay area 8.6
Major earthquake hits bay area 8.5
Major earthquake hits bay area 8.4
Major earthquake hits bay area 8.3
Major earthquake hits bay area 8.2
Major earthquake hits bay area 8.1
Major earthquake hits bay area 8.0

And so on a so forth? At some point, it will get just as tedious to search through the drag and drop menu or call up the correct code to get the right line as it would be to just type the thing into the ticker system. The tag lines with the story give them text to start with that they copy adding the particulars as needed.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Our new model of the Hayward and Calaveras Faults argues that they should be treated as a single system with potential for earthquake ruptures generating events with magnitudes greater than 7, posing a higher seismic hazard to the East San Francisco Bay Area than previously considered.

From the abstract of the paywalled study: Potential for larger earthquakes in the East San Francisco Bay Area due to the direct connection between the Hayward and Calaveras Faults

Now, there is a great deal of difference between "events with magnitude greater than 7" and a "magnitude 9.0" earthquake.

Even if the two faults mentioned in the study are directly connected as it would appear recent INSAR information shows, I still don't think there is enough length to the faults to produce a 9.0 considering the amount of movement that would be necessary.

PuterMan, TrueAmerican, Muzzy, or even Olivine could probably get closer to an estimated maximum magnitude that these two faults combined would produce than is cited in this news article.

Now, this is not to say that a high mag 7 or a low mag 8 wouldn't produce a tremendous amount of damage, it certainly would, but with the logarithmic scale to earthquake magnitudes (and there are several different units of measure being used right now to describe the energy release), there is a HUGE difference between an 8.something (even 8.9) and a 9.0.
edit on 22-7-2015 by jadedANDcynical because: used different site for the 'INSAR' link the oneI used originally didn't work.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Might be a warning from an insider.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Rather like the one they played on the airline?

Remember that? Don't think that just because they work in the media that they're above being dicks.

Yeah, and wow, I hadn't seen that one! Utterly classless, that.

And, yes, it has to be media people doing it. All in all, I'd bet more of them deserve your label than not.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Now that the news is seemingly done with the Cascadia fault line, they are sharing about this one: Bay area's Hayward fault had a 4.0 see here on Tuesday. Calls now for an overdue, "any day now", for an earthquake near an assumed 6.0 to 7.0.

edit on 23-7-2015 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
ATS should employ an 'earthquake prediction' sub forum...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join