It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

please help with xbox question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
hey all. im not into video games so i dont know about this and i want to be sure before i buy a system. my wife is huge on the games but she just plays a ds xl.
i was going to buy a used system today just for her to mess with. maybe me too.
anyway, about a week ago i was looking at xbox 1's and ps4's.
hard drive specs. this. that.
i was asking about games and the dude said for both those systems you have to 'upload' the games..prob wrong word but he basically said the system pulls the game off the disc then plays it. still have to have the disc in.
he also said he has seen it to where he puts a disc in and it takes an hour before he can actually play...

sounds like a bunch of crap i dont want to deal with.

now i dont care about xbox live. i dont care about cameras and connect or any of that.
all i want to do is put a game in and play without waiting all day.

i was gonna go get a used ps2 but my wife said xbox has better games so she wants that.

again, dont care about none of that. dont care about which games are better.

so, after all that ramble, here is the actual question.

with an xbox 360, can you put the disc in and play straight away or does it take like 3 hours to load up?
thank you gamers

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
There are 2 options, play the game straight from the disc or install the game to your hard drive (you only need to do this once). Installing to hard drive may take 15 mins or so, by doing this the disc does not need to spin the the disc drive ensuring an almost quiet gaming experience. Also loading time between chapters is significantly reduced.

edit on 11/7/15 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/7/15 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Loading textures off of a spinning disk takes longer, creates noise and increases load times.

Loading the contents of the CD onto the hard drive reduces load times, noise, less texture pop-in and the game runs smoother because pulling data that it would normally get from the disk is now taken from the hard drive which is generally faster.

edit on 11-7-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
There are 2 options, play the game straight from the disc or install the game to your hard drive (you only need to do this once). Installing to hard drive may take 15 mins or so, by doing this the disc does not need to spin the the disc drive ensuring an almost quiet gaming experience. Also loading time between chapters is significantly reduced.

thank you for the quick reply.
are these options just foe the 360 or for the xbox 1 as well?

the dude made it sound like i had to install from the disc and made it sound like it could take a long ass time. turned me off to buying a system.

thanks again

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
360, PS3 and XBONE all take a while to install initially. PS4's a lot quicker. 360 and ps3 load some of the game some of the time, as when needed. PS4 and XBONE only use the disc as a purchase validation method, there is no difference between downloading a game and buying the disc with these new systems, the disc uploads the entire game at once. It does take a while depending on the game.

I prefer playstion, simply because online is free. Although on PS4 you have to be a PS+ member which is only $50/yr. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than xboxlive.

edit on 11-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Enigma is spot on.

I don't have a One (yet). If you're just now getting a system and some games, you may have to update some of the games before you can play them (bug fixes and add-ons) but aside from that it's pretty much "plug and play."

You'll have to setup a gamer ID to be able to save games and the like but that's a one time thing.

As far as systems, I agree with the wife. I've stuck with Xbox because there's more games on that platform that I would miss out on than I would on PS.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Depending on what console you buy if there are updates available, you may spend a while waiting for them if you are planning online gaming.
I'd recommend getting that 360.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
it also turned me off cause the dude made it sound like i would need to have one with a huge hard drive or i would only be able to play a few games.
i think the one i was looking at was 20 gig and he said i would be limited to the amount of games i could play cause they take up a lot of room on the hard drive.
made it sound like i had to have like 500 gigs if i wanted a good selection of games

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

man these new systems suck imo.

i liked the ps2. put game in. play game

now i have to update stuff. create gamer id's. do this. do that.
i just want to play a few crap games like mortal combat and rayman type stuff.
you know

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
shamrock, so people that dont have internet cant play?
obviously i do but what kind of crap is that?

if a person buys an older or used system and they have no internet, their system is just a brick?

i miss the days when you put a game in and played.

another thing i dont like is no matter if you buy a new one or a used one, you only get 1 controller.
that sucks too.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Installing the game to the hard disk is optional for the 360, but is required for the Xbox One. The 360 games take 10-20 mins depending on the game and the Xbox One games can take around an hour.

I don't mind the installs, but it is lame that Microsoft went back on its original plan to have disk based games installed and then not need to keep the disk in the machine. But they removed the "always-connected to the Internet" requirement and then required the disk to be in the console even though it's installed.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: xenthuin

cool.
i can handle that.

just dont want to wait all day.

i want to play this
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

That was the last great Mortal Kombat game, in my opinion.

The games after this returned to the 2D fighting mechanics, which I can't stand.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I honestly don't know how that would work without Internet. I've never tried it, and I don't read the message that pops up when there's an update.

But I agree with you either way. Consoles aren't just consoles anymore. They do all kinds of stuff and they want to try and require this and that. It's really annoying to come home and want to kick back and kill pixels just to find out you have to wait another 15-20 minutes because there's another updates.

But...it's kind of a first world problem I guess lol

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

i know right.

here we are bitching about sweet ass video games and there are mofo's out there that drink mud cause they cant get water.

still.
dont want to wait all day

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Yep. Might be a first world problem but...that's where I live. And I'm thankful that I have that problem as opposed to others.

But it's still a problem.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It sounds like you were looking at a 360.
I have both the 360 and xb1.
The xb1 takes awhile to downloaded the games from disc. The 360, the wait is very minimal.
You can also use an external hard drive to save your games on.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I bought the xbox one back in january..Im over 40 and use it for not only the games but for dvds, watching youtube videos, watching amazon videos, and other shows you can download on the app..

You technically don't need to download all discs but there are a ton of titles that you can't buy on disk that are offered online only or on xbox live...xbox live can be purchased for under 40 bucks for a year if you look on line..it goes on sale occasionally and i purchased mine off of bradsdeal.com. i think it's worth it just for the two free games a month. Pays for the membership rather quickly. Keep in mind that you can download games and then delete them if you run out of space..once you download a game it's yours so you can always download it again.

Xbox one will be allowing owners to play xbox 360 games in the very near future however not every 360 title will be available. I have not regreted the purchase and the newer xbox one will be shipped with a 2 gig hardrive..

Well worth the purchase...

For the record playstation 4 is comparable with similiar features other than windows 10 being able to play xbox one games off of the computer(should your computer be capable) in addition to using the new gaming headset that will work on windows 10 and xbox one..
edit on 11-7-2015 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

Lastly when you download a game like skylander it tends to load quicker and framerate seems smoother..other than that no benefits...please save up and get the one...you wont regret it
edit on 11-7-2015 by chrismarco because: Sorry

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

I have a 360 and xb1.

The 360 you can put a disk into and play right away most of the time, although if you have it hooked up to the internet, and there is a patch, it will download and patch the game which can take a long time depending on the game.

The xb1 completely installs the game into the hard drive, which can take a long time. An hour for the bigger games, but once it is in the HD it is a fast load, just that first install that takes forever, and the games are often really big, like 40 gigs.

It does take a little getting used to, but I love my xb1. With the fact that it will be backwards compatible with the 360 soon, means that you can play a HUGE library of games. It was one of the best moves Microsoft could do with this system.

posted on Jul, 11 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It seems like you are getting a lot of mixed information. I don't have a PS4, so everything I'm about to say is regarding the Xbox 360 only:

You do not need an internet connection to play any game unless you want to play online or update the game.

I cannot think of any Xbox 360 game that you cannot stick inside the tray and play within two minutes.

Installing the games to the hard drive is optional. Depending on how many you want to install to the hard drive, will require a larger drive. Each game is around 7.5-8GB. The benefit of installing a game to the hard drive is two fold. It decreases loading times (not by much) and quiets the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 really is hassle free for the most part. With any game, you'll be up and playing within a few minutes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join