It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about Windows 10....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I updated my PC (Win 7 Pro) and no issues at all with any program so far. I even had some old games that were designed long before Win 7 was thought of, and they work without issue on Win 10. Everything seems to be working as it was. IO had to download it manually for both my laptop and PC. The laptop had 8.1 but I haven't bothered to check it out yet, although all the desktop programs are still there. I assume they will be fine since 8.1 is similar to 10. The only thing that pisses me off is the removal of Windows Update from control panel. Microsoft decided to totally remove the option to disable auto updates for some reason. They say security is the concern but what if they release a bugged update and totally disable every single that uses Win 10? Unreal in a way. Apparently, you can kind of find a way around this but it's too much effort imo. Hopefully MS swallow their pride and put it back.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'm still waiting for a notification that I can install win 10...

*waits......

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sharted

I thought if you have 64-bit there is still some option to not auto update....
It might be in one of these links:

some interesting stuff
www.cnet.com...

how to roll back to your previous version..as long as it's less than30 days
www.cnet.com...

change these settings
www.cnet.com...

start menu returns
bgr.com...
m0ar
bgr.com...

disabling some updates
www.forbes.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
and waits.....
*sip*

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

You can force the download - instructions here.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Thanks,
I'll take a look and see if I can get over my freaky fear of installing something and messing it up....
lol

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
and waits.....
*sip*

I had to do it manually. It's simple Google "win 10 download" and download the tool, run the tool and bam it downloads :p

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Alright, so I decided to take the dive and do a manual install, however, when I go to the windows update, it says it has tried and failed to download/install win 10 since july 30th 4 times....

*waves away paranoid thoughts of computer exploding in a spray of sparks and black smoke*

I have installed all other updates for windows 7,
there were a few that I apparently didn't have.
None were major, but it says to make sure you have all updates....

when I scanned again, it says I have 3 more updates....

*waves away thoughts of getting caught in an update loop and trudges on*

I'm going to update these "important" updates
(it now says this instead of what updates they are, which it usually does)
c(_) *sip*
If you don't see me again...
It'll be cause I have to get a new computer..
AHHHHHH!!!
Wish me luck!

*hits update*

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
56%....

*checks again*

57%...

Still going...

*twitch*

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
And finally it's done.

*whew*

The only problem I have run into is having to many accounts and trying to tie them all into one.

The whole xbox thing...grrrr...
I'll figure it out.

Other than that, pretty sleek and smooth.....

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Yeah, I FINALLY received my notification last night, clicked upgrade and about an hour or so later I was running Windows 10.

No issues with the update what so ever. It was so smooth of an update, it felt taboo. Once everything was done with the setup, Windows was like a kind gentleman, everything was just as it was before, everything where I left it. Only now its all wrapped in a new sleek, snappy, UI.

So far I am loving it. I'm giving Edge the benefit of the doubt and use it for a bit to see if it is as good as they as hyping it to be as chrome is becoming a bloated, crash riddled, resource hogging pile of steamy poop.

I need to look into being able to customize my tiles on my start menu as boring app icons in the same color squares is affecting my slight ocd tendencies. I used a 3rd party program with 8.1 to customize them with a more visually appealing look.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Still waiting on notifications for both computers.

Hope I don't regret it in the end.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: valiant
Still waiting on notifications for both computers.

Hope I don't regret it in the end.

You might want to periodically click on the little window icon that you used to reserve the copy and check to see if it's ready to upgrade. I never really received a pop up per-say that notified me when it was ready to update.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

Cheers, will do, nothing yet.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'm loving Windows 10 already!

I got all of my accounts wrapped up into one now, but that took all morning to try to remember all my passwords, emails, xbox accounts..

The new browser seems nice, but I can't seem to log into ATS with it.
Forgot my pw...lol

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

Cheers, will do, nothing yet.

LOL

I'm going to wait at least a month.....until after the first updates for it come out....

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
simcity 4 deluxe (CD version not digital download) will not run on Win 10.

So far no one had found a work around yet, although reports are that the digital version works just fine.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
simcity 4 deluxe (CD version not digital download) will not run on Win 10.

So far no one had found a work around yet, although reports are that the digital version works just fine.

That seems very odd. Stupis question but have you tried running it in Windows 7 compatibility mode? I'm sure you have. I have LMA Manager 2007 and it works fine, amazingly, considering it's an old game. I didn't even need to use compatibility mode for it. You can also try the DPI scaling option in properties cos that usually works for me when all else fails.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Slightly off topic, but searching "password manager" might help. I use one and it's been a Godsend.

For a very long time I got lazy. I created a few really secure passwords - and then began reusing them over and over. About a year ago I had a scare and realized that if Anon cracked one of my spam emails, they'd also get a lot of my other passwords - so I changed things up. I went to having a highly secure, unique password for every single site I visit.

That led to my purchasing a wire bound notebook to keep track... which led to page after page of unique passwords... which, over time, led to edits - due to change passwords - that left the entire thing mostly unreadable and, eventually undecipherable.

In desperation I downloaded a free, encrypted password manager.

It's not a perfect solution. As time goes on it is autofilling less and less. But... I can open it and copy/paste passwords at least.

This allows me to have secure, unique, randomized passwords for every site.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

excellent advice.....been using a password manager for years now.....it offers some semblance of peace of mind.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join