It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about Windows 10....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I'm still trying to get use to Windows 8.1. Just purchased a new computer and I was using windows 7 for awhile.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
So, if I Am running a 64-bit version now....I should be getting the 64-bit version of WIN 10??

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I watched its promo of features and it appears pretty nice , set nice, so I signed up for it.

Its change of course...but so were the dos to windows, miilenium window 2000 was it...windows 98, Xp and 7 now 10...most of us rolled with it. Progress....we' all see tho!

MS
edit on 6-7-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Windows 10 takes spying on Americans to a new level.

7 is going the way of 98.

Beware of Greeks bearing free gifts.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I am typing this reply on a 2003 tablet computer made by compaq that is running windows xp and it is still going strong it cost me 18$ of ebay .

I am only thinking of windows 7 just as they are getting rid of it , that is why i love listining to what people find out about those O/S .

I hated vista with a vengence as it was slow and buggy and ate resources and most people hate windows 8 as i did , when i played around with it

I think i will stick with duel booting xp / linux puppy for a while longer or i win the lotto

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

NIce deal on your machine.
For my needs, I may never buy new again.
Picked up a nice refurb from TigerDirect last year.....much nicer than the machines I had in the past.

Some day I'll get brave and install linux something or other.

In the meantime....I'll try 10 when it arrives.....

and, yeah, Vista did suck

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I love a good deal
but i will be giving this collectors item to a autistic guy i know who never goes out and badly needs a pc to take the world to him .

People slag of windows but for noobs like me it is very easy to use as i have found linux quite buggy on some machines , windows just works without all the hassle but i will be paying attention to what people say about win 10 before i tell my mother to upgrade her windows 8.1 computer

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Once you download Windows 10, you can either use Windows 8 or Windows 10...

Sorry, my Polish is flaring up!

Do I have to initially install windows 10 over my current Windows 8 in order to then be able to download the ISO? Or can I leave Windows 8 untouched, download the Windows 10 ISO and stash it?

Thanks for your help.

Your silence translates into a deafening "NO", you don't.

Wrong website I guess. Thanks for your initial help _BoneZ_.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
So, if I Am running a 64-bit version now....I should be getting the 64-bit version of WIN 10??

Yes, the version pushed out via Windows Update will be the same as the installed 'bitness' of your current operating system.

If you wanted to go to 32 bit from 64 bit, you'd have to download the .ISO - burn it to disc or write it to USB drive - boot from the install media and run the Setup from there.

This would not give you the option of upgrading (or downgrading) the existing system. It would be a clean install and you'd also have to reinstall all your applications, too. Your previous documents and stuff would end up in the Windows.old folder (unless you reformatted the drive during Setup).

If you had enough space on your drive, you could install alongside the existing OS, but booting from the old OS would be problematic and a stuff-up during Setup could easily hose the previous OS.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Klassified

I thought Win 8 relied heavily on touch screen functions.....which I would hate.
Give me a mouse anyday!!!!!

Also, I assume the free version is gonna be 32-bit?
Thus not allowing me to use Waterfox anymore

There is no "free version". It's simply free. I have a clean install of win 10 64 bit right now. I did an upgrade, and it seemed to work well, but wanted a clean install.

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

I'm still trying to get use to Windows 8.1. Just purchased a new computer and I was using windows 7 for awhile.

I would just upgrade. Why get used to it to then get used to a better one?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

Yes, Win 10 will keep pushing to use web enabled credentials and does keep tabs on users way more than in Win 7.

Also, why MS are practically giving it away to everyone but are keeping the "activation" mechanism/s intact, defies logic.

Any tech who has had to fix Windows broken by some malware and then has to mess with broken activation too, knows that It's just pointless code (unless M$ is intending on springing license fees on us all after getting everyone committed to the new OS).

... and in this case, it's 'beware of geeks bearing gifts'!

edit on 6/7/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

It's probably for seamless transition from other versions to 10 .. or from 10 to the next windows.

ETA: Although we all know windows and seamless should never be used in the same sentence.
edit on 6-7-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
In my case i'll be getting the RTM version on the 9th, apparently the feedback is really good on this windows, and windows has rarely (maybe never) had this much testing before a release.

I'll still have it on dual boot with 8.1 though just in case, won't update my 8.1, and use the RTM 10 for free (they are allowing it) as long as you're a beta tester throughout the life of the OS. Wait 6 months if everything is fine I'll update my 8.1

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
nothing.

edit on 7-7-2015 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

Also, why MS are practically giving it away to everyone but are keeping the "activation" mechanism/s intact, defies logic.

To me it looks like some kind of better way of indentifying computers is happening, you'll be stuck with the same activation ID as long as you use windows, so you started off with your new windows 7/8.1 PC, which has it's own ID, upgrade to windows 10 with the same ID, upgrade to windows 11 still the same ID, well as long as the computer exists, and if you bought a boxed windows 7/8.1, should keep you going with the same ID for 20 years lol. Bit like a social security number
edit on 7-7-2015 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   

From what I have read about windows 10 from another website is that its going to be installed as a service, Dunno what that exactly means but MS (and god knows who else) is going to have direct access to it, You will not be able to prevent them installing anything on your computer.

You could, conceivably, be mid way through something and your computer will reboot because they have installed some updates on it - without your permission.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

From what I have read about windows 10 from another website is that its going to be installed as a service, Dunno what that exactly means but MS (and god knows who else) is going to have direct access to it, You will not be able to prevent them installing anything on your computer.

You could, conceivably, be mid way through something and your computer will reboot because they have installed some updates on it - without your permission.

For "home" users M$ will completely hide the update mechanism. In Pro and Enterprise, it will still be visible and updates can be declined.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

That's mostly false.
edit on 7-7-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Atlantican

I wanted to add: If your operating system or productivity software requires you to be connected to the internet, or is based in "the cloud" consider it hostile and leaky as a sieve.

That is my biggest problem with software today. Basically everything must be done online leaving your computer and data vulnerable. What a screwed up thieving world
Where is the download to be installed installed later? (very few stand-alone packages anymore)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join