It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Wants Broader Use of Clemency to Free Nonviolent Drug Offenders

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Many people find this a fair and just decision, however it appears to be an unnecessarily long and somewhat complicated process. The President doesn't want to rush in and simply 'undo' Judges decisions with a stoke of the pen.

WASHINGTON — Sometime in the next few weeks, aides expect President Obama to issue orders freeing dozens of federal prisoners locked up on nonviolent drug offenses. With the stroke of his pen, he will probably commute more sentences at one time than any president has in nearly half a century.

The expansive use of his clemency power is part of a broader effort by Mr. Obama to correct what he sees as the excesses of the past, when politicians eager to be tough on crime threw away the key even for minor criminals. With many Republicans and Democrats now agreeing that the nation went too far, Mr. Obama holds the power to unlock that prison door, especially for young African-American and Hispanic men disproportionately affected.

Personally, I think it's about time. But naturally things will be made as complicated as possible, so it won't be done quickly, although some politicians are calling for 'the sooner the better."

But even as he exercises authority more assertively than any of his modern predecessors, Mr. Obama has only begun to tackle the problem he has identified. In the next weeks, the total number of commutations for Mr. Obama’s presidency may surpass 80, but more than 30,000 federal inmates have come forward in response to his administration’s call for clemency applications. A cumbersome review process has advanced only a small fraction of them. And just a small fraction of those have reached the president’s desk for a signature.

“I think they honestly want to address some of the people who have been oversentenced in the last 30 years,” said Julie Stewart, the founder and president of Families Against Mandatory Minimums, a group advocating changes in sentencing. “I’m not sure they envisioned that it would be as complicated as it is, but it has become more complicated, whether it needs to be or not, and that’s what has bogged down the process.”

It's a good start however, and makes way for youths who have long sentences (and in many cases have already served more than 10 years for a small possession charge) to regain their lives.
www.nytimes.com...
edit on 7/4/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Probably one of the very few times I agree with the current President.But , and there is always a but , the prison and jail system makes too much "side money" for them to do this. They are after all a business .However , if he wants to use his magic pen and phone for something like this , I will "secretly" agree

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's a good start, but only that.

The biggest problem with drug type charges, is the permanent records system.

Pay your fines, make the court systems a ton of money, then have your employment opportunities essentially removed for the rest of your life. You may be able to get a job flipping burgers if you know someone.

I think it's the definition of cruel and unusual punishment. Or an attempt to reduce employable people so they are stuck doing criminal things to get the same enjoyments out of life the ones who don't get caught enjoy.

In all honesty, F the people whom put that design into place.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I think it is the right thing to do...and I hope this happens sooner than later. There are many in prisons...that should not be there or...have been in the prison system far too long for the offense that they did.

I am just thinking too...ok so all of these people get released...what is the next plan? Will there be transitional housing for them...job training...job opportunities? Who will there be to help them once they get back into society?

I think that if the President is going to release them...he should also make sure they have a place to go to and job training...so that they are not homeless and living on the streets...with no help and direction.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

It is nice to see an effort made in this regard, but I fail to see how the effort can be considered genuine unless it is done with a "either ignore it, or set fire to it" approach to red tape. If people are coming forward and being rejected out of hand, or having to wait a vast amount of time to get their applications processed through the system, then the positive effect of this will not be felt to the best possible degree.

Doing things half arsed is all very well, but it will not go down as well as showing proper determination to deal with things in an effective manner.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Ending the so called war on drugs needs to happen first in order to effect a price collapse.

Otherwise the income for the habit comes at price of crime such as burglary, theft, prostitution and organized cartels.

Releasing minor actors is a bandaid on a very deep wound and does nothing to solve the actual problem.

Typical for Obama.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

It's probably one of the few times you agree with the presidents policy because.....it's not actually his policy. Rand Paul and Corey booker have been working on Legislation for this for the better part of two years. This will be at least the 2nd Paul policy that the pres has taken and renamed.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The opposite side of course is that all drug dealers are inextricably linked to the violence of the cartels who produce the product...

If we're talking marijuana only, I guess there would be a select few who grew themselves and had no violence in the plants distribution down the ladder...

But it's like the pirate DVDs being linked to the sex slave rape slave trade...

How do you cut off the little guys part in the abomination that proceeded before he dished out his products?

But I'm sure people are only looking at this with a myopic view of the drug trade.
Not intentionally perhaps...
But the pro-pot propaganda is just as strong as the anti-pot propaganda.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Oh, that has GOT to be racist!

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

I think that if the President is going to release them...he should also make sure they have a place to go to and job training...so that they are not homeless and living on the streets...with no help and direction

Cala, I agree and I starred your post, but one would hope that with all the dollars we spend on "rehabilitation", they would have gained some skills from that?

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

Oh, that has GOT to be racist!

Lol! Well, I admire your enthusiasm!

I'm not going to say I didn't notice some race-specific comments! However, it is rather to correct cases of racism, consequently correcting injustices.
edit on 7/4/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I think we need to move all non violent criminals to home arrest. We could provide them the same support we give the disabled which is about 13,000 per year.

This could save the country as much as $50,000 per non violent criminal per year. If we find them jobs, we may be able to fund part of the program through a restitution tax. Technology has made this a viable solution to punish non violent criminals.

The only people who need to be locked up are those who commit an act of violence against another, including violent intimidation that does not lead to physical violence, such as armed robbery that does not lead to physical harm.

Home arrest for the non violent criminal.

Incarceration and Psychological help for those who commit violent acts. Unprovoked and premeditated violence need to be see as psychological problems.

Prisons need to be seen as mental hospitals for violent criminals. We must provide proper mental care for those who will rejoin society after serving their time.

edit on 4-7-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Since its going to be legalized any second now why not. Marijuana that is...

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
We're feeding and housing these guys. That's not free. Not to mention they get free medical care and dentistry plus free education if they want. $$$$ add up. Reduce the deficits and free these people.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Excellent excellent excellent! I'm all for that. It hurts no one and benefits everyone! Why we don't use house-arrest more often is puzzling, unless of course it's reserved for people like Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton. : ) I guess some people are just too fabulous to be in jail.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I know I am. Lol. My life's goal is to go to my grave honestly saying I've never been arrested.
Not that I've never done anything illegal just that I never get caught. No I'm not a criminal but I'm no Angel either. Lol.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
man ........

This is gonna piss off MADD....they have so much money and lobbying in the gov......

Im not talking about DUI drivres with accidents......

Im talking about non violent DUI arrests with no accident involved.....

They are gonna lose their sh*t over this one!

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

I know I am. Lol. My life's goal is to go to my grave honestly saying I've never been arrested.
Not that I've never done anything illegal just that I never get caught. No I'm not a criminal but I'm no Angel either. Lol.

Ditto! I am way way way too fabulous to be in jail.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I agree 100%
We need to put correct back into corrections and review rehabilitation methods so that people come out better not worse. Right now prison is a place to learn how to be a criminal and violent offender.
A program that teaches and improves self esteem instead of treating these people like animals. Heck were better to animals in many respects.

posted on Jul, 4 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Absolutely ma'lady.

<<   2  3 >>

join