It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Strange" spike in shark attacks puzzles experts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Something's a-foot, ATS! Well, rather a-shark! There is a spike in shark attacks as of recent. According to the article, there have been 11 attacks since this year versus the usual 1 attack for this same time period. Anyway, it's a short read and a video.

The recent spate of shark attacks has left many beachgoers nervous.

Dr. Samuel Gruber, the director of the Bimini SharkLab research facility in the Bahamas, says the spike in attacks suggests something strange is going on.

"The trend is normally zero or one attack in that area in any one year," said Gruber.

Theories as to why this is happening range from time of day, to bait fishing, sea turtle migration, lunar cycles and global warming.

The conspiracy nut in me thinks the sharks are angry at people for some reason or other. Of course, Global Warming is listed as a possible cause which is what I'm leaning towards as the reason for the increase in these attacks. Maybe Sharks are just angry with Man. Things are in flux right now so anything is possible I suppose. What says ATS?

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Or maybe were taking so much from the oceans.. They are finding an alternative food source..

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook There is a rise in bison attacks on people at Yellowstone park as well. I was thinking about this last night when I watched episode 1 of "James Patterson's The Zoo" The Zoo

As for global warming, the fish they eat aren't in the same place so that could cause a problem like this.

edit on 3-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I wish I could remember the location article I read yesterday.
A fisherman claimed that the laws against "long line fishing" (I think that's what it was) could be one of the reasons.

I suppose he was saying that fish the shark see as food are overpopulated in some areas due to this rule/law against...

All I know for sure is we are going to the beach next week. I would never do any intentional harm so I hope they aren't mad at us where we are going!
I intend to be sitting on the beach with a very cool and relaxing drink(s) with the occasional splash in the water...

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Preparing for a takeover of all the oceans ? Cyclical thing ? Over fished portions of those oceans ? Who knows ?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

The conspiracy nut in me thinks the sharks are angry at people for some reason or other.

Not just sharks , Fox's too , seems to me the animal kingdom has decided direct action is the only action we understand !

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm just glad it wasn't on the Pacific coast. Or there would be a 1000 videos claiming it is from altered brain chemistry because of Fukushima .

link   

In 1924, German neurologist Hans Berger discovered a way to read brain waves by developing what’s known as an electroencephalograph (EEG). And, soon after starting his research, Berger noticed that the electrical activity of each brain wave is correlated to a person’s emotional state of mind.

Since sharks have been measured to sense frequencies between 25Hz and 50Hz, which are also related to the emotional status of anxiety and fear, could sharks also feel these brain waves in proximity? [8]

In the Great White Sharks 3D movie that plays at IMAX theaters, free-diver William Winram says he believes sharks can pick up on a person’s anxiety and fear, and that is what often triggers an aggressive response. Winram observed this sensation while tagging Great Whites for scientific research by holding his breath and free diving with them. You can find many videos on YouTube in which he calmly swims alongside Great Whites, without fear, anxiety nor incident. This would seem to be a very interesting question for future scientist to pursue.
conceptualrevolutions.com...

The more attacks that are reported the more fear the sharks sense?

link   
It's Shark Week:

www.discovery.com...

Maybe there will be some info on this.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Delete.....ARGH
edit on 3-7-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It's shark week?!?

How have I missed this?? Ugh. So sad

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

It's shark week?!?

How have I missed this?? Ugh. So sad

Starts Sunday.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
G,day mate
down here in Australia we have had 2 shark attacks in two days
5 deaths in 12 months and more than
530 attacks in the last 100 years
Want to go swimming

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

You give too much credit to the relatively stupid shark. In the words of Matt Hooper "all they do is swim and eat and make little sharks"

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Thank god. I was about to have a really terrible 4th.

Thanks for the info

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

You give too much credit to the relatively stupid shark. In the words of Matt Hooper "all they do is swim and eat and make little sharks"

That movie is 40 years old. Shark research wasn't "all that" at the time. We know a helluva lot more now. Shark are much "smarter"(?) than we think they are.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

There have been two shark attacks in two days where I live in Australia, one of which the surfer is in a critical condition, and another guy died about about 5 months ago from an attack in the same spot.

Beaches closed and a surf competition cancelled.

link   
I think the best, most reasonable explanation I've seen is these are not attacks, but rather cases of mistaken identity. Were these true attacks people would be dying.

The sharks follow their normal prey, encounter a person, take a bite and move on when they discover their mistake seems like what is actually happening.

Of course that's not nearly as fun as a swarm of man eating sharks swarming in the surf, waiting for a water spout to come along and turn them into a "Sharknado".

link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
I'm just glad it wasn't on the Pacific coast. Or there would be a 1000 videos claiming it is from altered brain chemistry because of Fukushima .
no this is the east coast. They'll blame it on Obama.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Krusty the Klown

Yea but that's Australia. Some Aussie will just slam a beer down and wade out into the ocean to fight the shark with his bare hands.

Or her bare hands.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join