It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast food is an easy job everyone can do...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I can agree with you 100%. When I was in high school, I worked at a restaurant. It had to be one of the worst jobs I ever had!

A lot of people think a fun business to start is a restaurant, but unless you've actually worked in that environment it's nothing but rush, rush, rush, and you're at the demand of the customer all day long! Not to mention the amount of food preparation in the early hours everyday, and the chances of losing money is high since food is a perishable item.

There's a lot of jobs that people think don't deserve a livable wage, yet many of the people who work those jobs earn every measly penny they get, and receive no benefits. It's only fair a hard days work deserves a fair day's pay.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

you can cover that if you budget your money.

you know, smart phones with big chinks of data plans are not a must have.
cigarettes at 5 billies a pack are not a must have.

despite that, when the beef patty engineers go on break, they bury their face in their iphone and spark up the newport.

might actually be able to afford to pay their bills if they didnt spend 35 bucks a week on smokes

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
a reply to: angeldoll

i think the fast food industry on average pays their employees a fair amount.

it is a fair amount for the skill they need to do the job.

this is my opinion and nothing you will say will change my mind on this.

those are entry level, minimum wage jobs all day long.

NVM (that was simply rude what I responded, and the truth is, what you think doesn't matter a hill of beans to me), so you have a nice life.
edit on 7/3/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

link   

There's these things called feet, you can use them to move through space time. Might try it out once in a while.

link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

IF Fast food corporations paid a living wage, they too, might be able to hire people who would value their job, protect it, and therefore not have a crappy attitude. And indeed, those who did not value it could easily be replaced with those who do.

if people valued their job and didnt have a crappy attitude, maybe they could do better than entry level at burger king.
what a thought

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

yeah, obviously i live off peanuts

ha

i think what they pay is ok cause the jobs being performed are not worth more than that.
pretty simple concept

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I'm sorry, but this is so ass backwards. People take on a job, then complain about the wage. How the hell does that make any damned sense? If you don't want the job, don't take it. If you're better than that job, prove it. This has nothing to do with caring about other people or not. It has to do with stupid people complaining instead of bettering their selves.

Fast food is disgusting, should be dead. People should not support it, by working, or by eating at it. You know what the opposite of these stupid complainers are? People who go out and create a job, and open up new markets. I have a hell of a lot more respect for the entrepreneurs having a hard time than the people who take on a job they know will be crappy and then complain about it.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

IF Fast food corporations paid a living wage, they too, might be able to hire people who would value their job, protect it, and therefore not have a crappy attitude. And indeed, those who did not value it could easily be replaced with those who do.

if people valued their job and didnt have a crappy attitude, maybe they could do better than entry level at burger king.
what a thought

i think what they pay is ok cause the jobs being performed are not worth more than that.
pretty simple concept

I will take one more shot at getting you to *think*.

Think "which came first, the chicken or the egg". Apply it to this. See what you come up with.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

thats a great point. everyone goes through some sort of interview.
in that interview the wage will be discussed. along with wage, hours will be discussed.
availability.

more often than not, people will be all about
"that wage is fine. i can work any hours. any days'

then a month in they are bitching cause they have to work the weekend and dont make enough money.

hahah

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

still think they pay a fair wage for the job being performed.
ask me again tomorrow

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

those are entry level, minimum wage jobs all day long.

Ever done chores for pocket money as a child? those are entry level jobs.

edit on 3-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

There's these things called feet, you can use them to move through space time. Might try it out once in a while.
So your answer is "Go be homeless somewhere else".

Got it.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I'm sorry, but this is so ass backwards. People take on a job, then complain about the wage. How the hell does that make any damned sense?

Because a little money is better than no money? Because you need to keep the power on, and buy the kids cheap brand shoes from walmart? People do what they have to do.

Reread our good OP's account of working in fastfood. You go into a job where you are expected to know how to do everything from cooking French fries, to working the window, mop and catch the front, and yet you are treated like crap, and paid next to nothing. Is that a job you are going to want to go to everyday? I doubt it. You will always have one eye opened for something better, and simply try to "get through it', until you can.

If you were paid an amount to actually live on, you could relax a little, knowing you were there to stay.

Sweetie, are you concerned that McDonald's Corporation doesn't net enough income every year? You seem to be really really defending those guys. I wonder how many Italian Villas and such they own, while one of their employees can't even afford to go to the dentist to have a decayed throbbing tooth pulled?

Do you think those folks are so inherently more deserving as humans? Can they have one villa instead of seven? Is that too much to ask?

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

you can cover that if you budget your money.

you know, smart phones with big chinks of data plans are not a must have.
cigarettes at 5 billies a pack are not a must have.

despite that, when the beef patty engineers go on break, they bury their face in their iphone and spark up the newport.

might actually be able to afford to pay their bills if they didnt spend 35 bucks a week on smokes
You really, really can't.

Even though I actually agree with you that smokes and smart phones aren't necessities.

Beyond even that, it's almost impossible to live (even if you live by yourself, nevermind kids) on minimum wage in the US unless you either get government assistance or live in a part of the country where living expenses are low enough. And those areas of the US are shrinking every day. Meanwhile, CEO salaries only grow, companies only rake in even MORE profits, and they all do while exclaiming "Trickle down works! Just give it time!"

And they're right. It works. It works beautifully. The problem is it's trickling down into the hands of people who manufacture their crap overseas, the people who answer their phones overseas, the people who ship their crap FROM overseas to the US shores. Trickle down works in a closed economy. But we're in a World Economy now, and it's trickling down to the wrong people.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Maybe if they did there job competently in the first place they could get that better job.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Not too many job opportunities in the little town near me. There's gas stations/fast food by the interstate, a few mom/pop stores, seasonal ranch work and a small hospital. Our one factory and private prison both closed.

We've done what we've had to do to live out here and imo it's worth it. I've worked at fast food/convenience stores, a ski area and the local factory to name a few. The convenience store paid better wages but the graveyard shift/armed robbery thing was a turn off.

I was a server for years at a high end tourist restaurant/lounge. I made great tips, was very satisfied. I worked there while my hubby was getting his biz off and running. I did a good thing for my family and earned a good enough wage.

Tourists spend tons of money vacationing in my area while residents camp, fish, hike and enjoy million dollar views on low wages. Our friend owns a private lake, lets us fish for free in exchange for letting his cattle graze on our land. He even has a little boat he lets us use.

People looked down their noses at me and sometimes said hurtful things concerning my choice of employment. I'd tell them "we're buying a home on acreage in the middle of nowhere and it's absolutely beautiful, where do you live?"

Now my hubby runs his own biz and we're doing just fine. Not all of us can be rich but keeping a healthy attitude no matter what you do is the true measure of success imo.

Lots of high end wage earners are miserable as hell with their life in general. Sometimes big wages make us overly dependent, leaving little hope for much needed change.

Taking risks and making life changes is somewhat easier when you have little to lose.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Again, it's a chicken and egg question. I had a client once who came into my office with a twinkle in her eye, she was so incredibly happy because she had gotten a job "that pays for health insurance" yay, yay, she was dancing all over my office.

Do you think she's going to do better work to protect that job?

You better believe it.

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I'm sorry, but this is so ass backwards. People take on a job, then complain about the wage.

I agree. When the government bailed out my financial institiution and they spent that money on a lavish vacation, they wanted more but did they get it? no sir. Does anybody have any scruples anymore?

edit on 3-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Mugly
a minimum wage job is gonna probably bring home a little under a thousand dollars after taxes, from that at least half will end up going into rent, then there's utilities, which will probably be at least another hundred. your gonna need a car probably to get to work, insurance?? probably around $50 maybe, we'll include the gas in with the insurance, just to keep things at the lowest possible end. food?? let's say $200. phone?? let's say 35. that's gonna leave you with a whole $120 to stash away for the rainy day when your car needs a new starter, or when the sole of your shoe wears a hole in it, or when you rip out your pants, or you get sick and the crazy boss who thinks that you can afford medical care on what you make
demands a doctor's statement before you can return to work!
and I've probably estimated low on the expenses, maybe even forgot some important ones.
so, well my guess is that if you see a minimum wage earner with cigarettes, an expensive cellphone or whatever else you consider such a grand luxury, well, they either diverted some of the cash from other areas of their budgets to get them and might be regretting it later, or mommy or daddy bought it for them, or maybe even that taxpayer's money has pitched in and helped out with the rent and food.
the problem with mommy and daddy supporting their adult kids is that those kids should be on their own and mommy and daddy need to be working at replacing their retirement funds that wall street and the banks caused them to lose during the housing crash. the problem with the taxpayer's pitching in and helping them is that quite frankly, we don't see why the big multimillion dollar corporation that is paying their upper management way more than most of us will earn can't pay these workers a decent wage!

posted on Jul, 3 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
Personally I think the "It doesn't deserve better pay" argument is ridiculous, because most people are getting paid more to do an easier job, AND not get treated like dirt in the process.

Then what's to stop the other workers from finding an "easier" job? You did, after all.

Any reasonable answer to that question is also the answer to why it doesn't deserve better pay.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join