It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilot says F35 CAN'T dogfight!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AlphaPred

That's just it. This thing does things that you couldn't even imagine even 10 years ago (generic you, not you specifically). It's beyond cutting edge, and that means fidgeting and fidgeting until you get it right. Yes there are still issues to resolve, but the biggest of those is software, and even that is coming along better and better all the time.

They're learning a lot with each solution, and it shows in the long run. Production time is way down, and dropping. Cost is down a ridiculous amount, and by LRIP 10 or 11 we'll see at least one, possibly two versions at or below $100M with engine. Engine costs are dropping, while reliability is improving almost weekly.

They've turned the corner from where it was even a year ago and are making huge strides.
edit on 6/29/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I think the one we'll remember fondly is the -B. Watching carrier ops with them is probably the closest thing we'll ever see to the fighters from Star Wars. A magnificent weapons system in every sense.

The -A and -C variants on the other hand will likely be remembered as fantastic avionics suites flying around in slightly compromised airframes. Not bad birds by any stretch, but not the best of their kind ever built, like the -Bs are.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

AND they Kill the Comanche...

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

An A2A kill is still a kill.

Of my understanding the F35 could have easily splashed the electric jet without have to maneuver at all, nor fire a shot. Shes no Forked Tail Devil but she'll get the job done.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I think the idea of a semi-stealth helicopter gunship was doomed from the beginning. I think they realized they could get by with a stealthy blackhawk and then the S-97 came and took everyone in the speed category.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
WHy do people consider this a dud in a dog fight? Imagine its got a bogey at 6 o clock k? Pilot comes in And goes guns on. F-35 pilot drops the aircraft into hover mode temporarily to cut airspeed making the other guy over shoot. Bogey gets a sidewinder up his tailpipe. While his wingman covers his butt before he gets back up to speed to continue the mission.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Australia has repurchased 72 of these lemons for a total of $24 Billion.

ABC Report: Australians manipulated over jet sales.

It seems Australia's allies are more concerned with ripping us off, than interested in forming an impenetrable alliance.

I tell you what Lockheed-Martin, just send us 200 FA/18's with the latest tech and we'll call it even. Make it 300.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Twenty38

That'll be kind of hard to do considering Boeing makes the Hornet.

The F-35 is far from a lemon.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
So? What was the last time a dogfight even happened?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AVoiceOfReason

They still happen, just almost never at guns range. There have been hardly any gun kills since Vietnam.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iwinder
Well this cannot be good news for us Canucks, Canada has ordered a fleet of these F35' to replace our current fleet of Hornets.
So I understand that if and when we take delivery of the new fighters the old ones will be DE-commissioned after the fact.
The problem is that Canada needs interceptors and dog fighters not stealth fighters that cannot out maneuver an invading jet in our territory.

We are not capable of bombing anyone, with the huge amount of our Landscape its basically impossible to just protect our own country let alone bombing the crap out of other Countries. We got sucked into going to Afghanistan and we had to rent German tanks and pay to have them flown in to the war theater. What I am trying to say is we don't "have a pot to piss in" and yet we are buying these jets that are useless for our needs in Canada.

Interesting thread and no insults intended in my post, I posted from the top left "Heart".

Regards, Iwinder

You guys don't need air to air aircraft.

You need stealthy attack aircraft.

They are invisible, and can shoot down anything with air to air missiles.

It is still quite lethal.

It's just more of an ambush predator.

With pretty good range and speed.

And enough payload to mess some stuff up.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlphaPred
In my experience nothing tops the a10 in CAS
A fart from above, a hail of brass, smoking streams of DU
Was always victory
a reply to: johnwick

I gotta agree with that.

It's so ugly it beautiful.

From what I have heard, some even think they are seeing an angel when it flies overhead.

Great strong all around flying tank killer.

It just needs some cover.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: seagull

AND they Kill the Comanche...

Isn't the Comanche the badarsed stealth helicopter in the first hulk movie?

Didn't they cancel that?

Please say no, please say no.....

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

They did.
Apparently they didn't need it.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Twenty38
Australia has repurchased 72 of these lemons for a total of $24 Billion.

ABC Report: Australians manipulated over jet sales.

It seems Australia's allies are more concerned with ripping us off, than interested in forming an impenetrable alliance.

I tell you what Lockheed-Martin, just send us 200 FA/18's with the latest tech and we'll call it even. Make it 300.

The Super hornet is a bad bird.

It's fast, it's agile, it's got legs and a decent payload.

300.... You guys would be really dangerous if you could transport them.

Why not a recently decommissioned or upcoming to retire nimitz carrier and 150 hornets?

That would make China wince.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Maybe we should have given the money to Boeing. At least we know they can create the shipment. And we already have faith in the product.
edit on 29/6/2015 by Twenty38 because: Grammatical.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Now your talking.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

The main problem with the Comanche was it was either ten-fifteen years to late, or to early to really take advantage of the developments in stealth.

too bad, it was a really cool looking beast.

Just like another failed attack helicopter... The AH56 Cheyenne. Just a bit too ahead of its time.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Twenty38

The Hornet has its own issues.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

No, it still doesn't have legs depending on the mission and load. The Hornet has never had legs.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join