It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi May Stop Issuing All Marriage Licenses

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The snowball effect has been triggered.

Now somebody in Mississippi and some other States are "exploring" ways to circumvent the SCOTUS decision.

Legal hyperbole bouncing all over the place.

One Mississippi "remedy" is "No marriage licenses". That would affect a whole bunch of legalities.

Hmmm. But it might be designed to stop samesex marriages in a Church?

After Gay Marriage Decision, Mississippi May Stop Issuing All Marriage Licenses

Mississippi is considering pulling the plug on issuing marriage licenses altogether after the Supreme Court struck down bans on gay marriage Friday morning.

As the state's governor and lieutenant governor condemned the court’s decision, state House Judiciary Chairman Andy Gipson began studying wants to prevent gay marriage in Mississippi. Governor Phil Bryant said he would do all he can "to protect and defend the religious freedoms of Mississippi.” To Bryant’s point of doing “all” the state could do, Gipson, who is a Baptist minister, suggested removing marriage licenses entirely.

“One of the options that other states have looked at is removing the state marriage license requirement,” Gipson told The Clarion-Ledger, a local newspaper. “We will be researching what options there are. I personally can see the pros and cons to that. I don’t know if it would be better to have no marriage certificate sponsored by the state or not. But it’s an option out there to be considered.”

Oklahoma is investigating a similar change. A bill there would allow notaries and religious leaders to sign marriage documents and strip the power from judges and clerks.

Alabama already has one county that operates in this manner.

For Christ's Sake Already !!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Looks like the national guard should be sent again in order to enforce people of different sexual orientations to be treated equally under the law.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This is stupid, but why do we need "licenses" for people to have relationships anyway?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
Looks like the national guard should be sent again in order to enforce people of different sexual orientations to be treated equally under the law.

Hey.

It could come to that.

link   
a reply to: xuenchen

No one trusts the gay lobby. I certainly don't.

And no one trusts the judiciary to protect us and our Bill of Rights issued rights anymore.

I think it has less to do with anyone caring about whether or not gays get to call themselves married and have legal benefits, and everything to do with not trusting them and our own government.

link   

originally posted by: CB328
This is stupid, but why do we need "licenses" for people to have relationships anyway?

That question could have been asked and was, many times before this all started.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

Yees! Let them start shooting and making martyrs. /sarcasm

I'm sure that will start making everything better especially if they start shooting people in a church. Aren't we dealing with something like that ...?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

It's about the tax breaks & legal protections that come with getting a marriage license (inheritance rights, visitation rights, etc).

As for the OP, I wouldn't worry about it. They're just throwing a tantrum. There's no way they'll permanently ban marriage licenses. At most they'll delay implementation, complain, then concede.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

More than likely big business will threaten to move out of the state, like with Indiana and there religious freedom law.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

but why do we need "licenses" for people to have relationships anyway?

What makes you think you need a licence for that?

link   
Man they really are just working the South for all they can right before Jade Helm aren't they.

I suppose we could discuss the merits of State's rights but this just proves sometimes States are dumb asses too.

link   

Actually I agree.

But the entire legal system and big government depends on all things legal.

"Oh it's awwwwll perfectly legal"

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
People can only be pushed so far before they snap. I'm sure you'd all love that very much, but this administration has pushed, and pushed, and pushed. The left and its allies have pushed, and pushed, and pushed.

There will eventually be backlash. The longer it goes on before the backlash comes, the uglier that tends to be.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
So Supreme Court rulings on the Constitution only matter when people agree with them?

Good to know.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Things could get out of hand real easy.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
So Supreme Court rulings on the Constitution only matter when people agree with them?

Good to know.

Yes, haven't you been learning about Hobby Lobby and Citizens United?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Good to know.

The Court may have overlooked a few things in this case.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
Man they really are just working the South for all they can right before Jade Helm aren't they.

I suppose we could discuss the merits of State's rights but this just proves sometimes States are dumb asses too.

Who's "working the South" in this instance? It's Republicans who are in charge in Mississippi right now & Republicans who are throwing this tantrum. So do you mean "Man, Republicans are just working the South for all they can?"

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Good to know.

Nah, they'll fall in line. They'll complain about if for local consumption, then delay its implementation, then complain some more, then concede. Some candidates will use it for fundraising and then people will forget about it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
It must be a fear of this in for future. Live and let live in America? not any more.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join