It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can no longer believe or trust anyone with a faith in any relgion.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: nonspecific

Would it be possible for you to add some form of comment to your post so your opinion can be understood correctly please.
That simple little vid had a response that you may consider reasonable and acceptable because you have already stated that people that have a religious belief have no value to you . The vid had some points and you may have got a laugh out of it as well . Maybe you take yourself way too serious to be able to laugh or cry .Maybe you are a bot . one thing is for sure is that I can just skip over your posts from now on and not waist my time to think that my comment to you might have a valid point . all the best though ....peace

Really?

Thats your comment? I watched the vid even though I saw it on another post here just the other day.

May I ask if you are of a religious nature?

It seems you have taken an open question about the nature of belief and taken it personally and then decided to ignore anything I say from now on which could be seen as a little judgementall.

At least I had the honestly to try and explore the reasoning behind my thoughts as opposed to just making a quick decision about what is right and what is wrong.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I think that you're off-base in judging EVERYONE on the condition of belief in religion.

Think about it logically (using Christianity as my subject) for a second--how many people who actually say that they believe in God or the Bible are true believers? And by true, I mean live their life by the teachings of Jesus, pray all the time for guidance, seek to help those less fortunate than themselves, turn the other cheek, refrain from judgment, etc., etc.?

I'm willing to bet it's over the 50% mark...these are the people who attend church just for show or to say that they went. But in reality, they don't truly believe.

And then the remainders--let's just assume that they are fundamentalists and believe every word to be true--you have no idea what got them to that point, nor why they refuse to leave. Many of them have had personal experiences with which you nor I can even begin to empathize. Maybe the majority of them struggle with knowing how absurd the Bible seems, but these experiences just keep bringing them back to it.

Believing in the possibility that the supernatural components of the Bible are fact is not necessarily an ignorant thing to do, but those who 'blindly' believe everything to be fact--those are the ones you need to worry about.

The problem is, you don't know who these people are in the crowd where probably 80%-90% of Christians are not these types of people. So, I think it would make more sense to assume that most Christians are not the fanatical type the set aside all reason and logic just to blindly accept the faith aspects of the Bible. If you hold every religious person in a skeptical light, I think you're on the verge of clinical paranoia, and that doesn't make your condition any better than the condition you see these people as having.

ETA: I'm an atheist. Just thought that was pertinent info.
edit on 25-6-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Because how I brush my daughter's hair will affect my work at the salon? Completely unrelated if he's a doctor to begin with he problably me doesn't really believe in God lmao. It's kinda a hyped up idea that is rare and if they are doctors I've never com across one that shouldn't be qualified just because of what he believes.... What's wrong with you? Do you not know tolerance? What's the difference between a black man who celebrates Buddhism selling you your cheeseburger or the Christian or Jewish doctor operating on you. What you believe doesn't severely advert your ability to perform your job. Sounds like nothing but hate to me? Someone make you mad recently that was religious?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
I am not sure, but I get the feeling you are saying that you believe that people with very strong religious beliefs allow those beliefs to influence every opinion they have. Right? That seems to be the case with religious fundamentalists, of any denomination but...
I don't agree with the idea as a whole, as there are quite a few religious people I know who absolutely embrace science and critical thinking (yes, their faith is not contradictory to critical thinking, it is quite separate). It seems that those people have come to the conclusion that science and religion are not mutually exclusive ideas.
I am not religious in any way, but I would give you some advice anyway, if you are not offended.
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

You summed up my thoughts pretty well, as I said this is something that has been simmering for some years now.

I am not throwing the baby out with the bathwater though.

More looking for other opinions as to if I should do it.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: butcherguy
If you trust anyone, whether they are religious or not, you are gambling.

I agree but as the OP stated I feel that it is getting harder to "trust" someone with a religious viewpoint than one without.

It's not something I am happy about and that is why I brought it up to discuss.

I think that the problem might be that you find reason to be unhappy because of the thought processes of other people.
Let them go their own way. But I think that you can be disappointed by an atheist just as well as by a theist, or an agnostic.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I believe we were genetically engineered by Aliens.

So you can well imagine some of the problems I have with many many people and their beliefs and vice versa.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Could you trust someone who is (spiritual) and does not belong to any religion; but has had experiences related to Heaven?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I think the vid could be taken as , there is a atheist community where atheist can take each other seriously and not have to engage with people of faith . I think that people of faith can say the darndess things at time but so can atheists . Some times atheist can say really in-lightning things but so can people of faith . A previous poster may have said it best as dont throw the baby out with the bath water .

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
most atheists I have met fear death and desperately pray for the day they can pay for technology to keep them alive forever, ir at least as long as possible. I would never trust anyone that wants to live forever in the mortal realm. I gladly await the day my body dies and the energy is released back into the universe. The energy within you does not die, just the body. The energy moves on in some other form of existence.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I think that you're off-base in judging EVERYONE on the condition of belief in religion.

Think about it logically (using Christianity as my subject) for a second--how many people who actually say that they believe in God or the Bible are true believers? And by true, I mean live their life by the teachings of Jesus, pray all the time for guidance, seek to help those less fortunate than themselves, turn the other cheek, refrain from judgment, etc., etc.?

I'm willing to bet it's over the 50% mark...these are the people who attend church just for show or to say that they went. But in reality, they don't truly believe.

And then the remainders--let's just assume that they are fundamentalists and believe every word to be true--you have no idea what got them to that point, nor why they refuse to leave. Many of them have had personal experiences with which you nor I can even begin to empathize. Maybe the majority of them struggle with knowing how absurd the Bible seems, but these experiences just keep bringing them back to it.

Believing in the possibility that the supernatural components of the Bible are fact is not necessarily an ignorant thing to do, but those who 'blindly' believe everything to be fact--those are the ones you need to worry about.

The problem is, you don't know who these people are in the crowd where probably 80%-90% of Christians are not these types of people. So, I think it would make more sense to assume that most Christians are not the fanatical type the set aside all reason and logic just to blindly accept the faith aspects of the Bible. If you hold every religious person in a skeptical light, I think you're on the verge of clinical paranoia, and that doesn't make your condition any better than the condition you see these people as having.

ETA: I'm an atheist. Just thought that was pertinent info.

I find it incredible that you can come to the conclusion that I am on the verge of clinical paranoia over an OP and a few posts but I respect your right to an opinion.

To me its as simple as this and no insult intended but why do people believe in god?

Is there any rational basis to it? Any proof?

Choosing to believe in something with no evidence and based entirely on something you have either read or been told is to me a cause to question the validity of the rational behind that decision.

I understand how that could offend some people but that is not the intention, It's simply a question.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hidinout

So you can well imagine some of the problems I have with many many people and their beliefs and vice versa.

I respect your right to believe that we have been genetically engineered by aliens but in knowing this you must understand that this may affect my judgement on your ability to mend the brakes on my car or rewire my house.

Is this wrong?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
i agree with you myself, i find it difficult in this day and age, with the advancement of the knowledge that we have, that people still actually believe in religions... makes me sad for humanity

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea

Could you trust someone who is (spiritual) and does not belong to any religion; but has had experiences related to Heaven?

It would depend on the situation and there ability to provide informatio, relavance and proof of "heaven" I think.

Does that answer your question?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ch40snh4rm0ny
most atheists I have met fear death and desperately pray for the day they can pay for technology to keep them alive forever, ir at least as long as possible. I would never trust anyone that wants to live forever in the mortal realm. I gladly await the day my body dies and the energy is released back into the universe. The energy within you does not die, just the body. The energy moves on in some other form of existence.

Most I have met accept death and just live for the time they have left. Religions are made for people fearing death.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I find it incredible that you can come to the conclusion that I am on the verge of clinical paranoia over an OP and a few posts but I respect your right to an opinion.

Awww, come on...you know I said "if" and "I think" in that comment. But you're the one saying you can't believe or trust anyone who believes in religion. What else should I think? That's a pretty broad brush you're painting people with.

To me its as simple as this and no insult intended but why do people believe in god?

Choosing to believe in something with no evidence and based entirely on something you have either read or been told is to me a cause to question the validity of the rational behind that decision.

If you re-read my post, I think I answered those questions in my breakdown of how I see modern "Christians," and I'm sure that can extend to other religions as well. Also, hopefully you noticed my edit that I'm an Atheist, so you're asking the wrong person if you want an unbiased answer--but I will say that there's always the possibility of proof, and we just haven't found it yet

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hidinout

I respect your right to believe that we have been genetically engineered by aliens but in knowing this you must understand that this may affect my judgement on your ability to mend the brakes on my car or rewire my house.

Is this wrong?
Well and rightly so, I know nothing about those things.

Oh I also wanted to applaud you for voicing your opinion. And I also don't think any less of you for not sharing my beliefs.

I also most likely would seek and respect the counsel of a free thinker over a devoutly religious person. And when I run across another Alien Creationist Devotee, well the sky's the limit then let me tell you.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyteeny
i agree with you myself, i find it difficult in this day and age, with the advancement of the knowledge that we have, that people still actually believe in religions... makes me sad for humanity

It does not make me sad, I feel kind of happy that people can have faith.

What I cannot understand is the reasoning behind the belief and that is what troubles me.

It is hard to express my feelings on this without insulting others and that is not my intention.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Most I have met accept death and just live for the time they have left. Religions are made for people fearing death.

Yep...I always find it funny when religious people try to preach to me about a fear of death or what might lie beyond--I don't fear death, and I have no preconceived notion of what lies beyond, if anything.

It'd be cool if there is something, but I'm not going to believe in a God who tells me to believe under penalty of eternal damnation, of which there is no proof. Maybe I'm just being immature, but I feel like I'm, in some way, trying to call this bluff.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Awww, come on...you know I said "if" and "I think" in that comment. But you're the one saying you can't believe or trust anyone who believes in religion. What else should I think? That's a pretty broad brush you're painting people with.

If you re-read my post, I think I answered those questions in my breakdown of how I see modern "Christians," and I'm sure that can extend to other religions as well. Also, hopefully you noticed my edit that I'm an Atheist, so you're asking the wrong person if you want an unbiased answer--but I will say that there's always the possibility of proof, and we just haven't found it yet

Yes your right you did use a couple of words to make an escape route as regards your opinions on my mental state but I was not prepeared to let that go un noticed.

Yes theres always the possibility of proof but it's hard to deny it is looking les and less likley as time goes on.

As I kind of said earlier how would you feel if a mechanic was fixing your brakes whilst talking about evil reptillian overlords and the NWO ruling the masses from the dark side of the moon?

I think you would be a little concerned as to there ability to do the job right?

I see a religious surgeon in the same light.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Well yeah. I get this. However, you indicate that you hold with well founded and unflawed reasoning in this sentence.

This makes me a little sad because so many brilliant people with amazing insight, knowledge and expertise leave me distrusting of them due to a completely unfounded and flawed(in my opinion) reasoning.

Ok. I get this too. But you then go on to say in the very next sentence

It has got to the point that I feel that if I ever needed a life saving operation then I could not trust a surgeon who was a follower of a religion.

How do you hold with the apparent LACK of unfounded and clearly flawed reasoning here?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join