It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British police calling for knife ban

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
One of my friends posted this on facebook and I couldn't help but laugh. This article is a year old but I feel that it's still relevant. Also, I had to paraphrase the actual title, as it was too long.

The new “Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife” program is in full swing and police are telling us that they have joined forces with an already growing trend in the United Kingdom to ban “pointy” knives.

Source
Does this remind you of anything?
Some states in the U.S. have a gun buy back program where guns can be "surrendered" in an effort to stop "gun" violence.
L.A. Gun buyback program
N.Y. Cash for Guns program

Now, as most of you know, guns have been banned in the U.K. Because of that, violent crimes are being committed with knives. It goes to show that it's not the weapon that the criminal uses but the criminal. This ought to be food for thought for those who support a gun ban in the U.S. but I'm afraid that they'll totally miss the message.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Maybe it is time to surrender and go to jail for breathing.. In sad times we are living..

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

They should ban billy clubs too then. While we are at it lets just ban humans, the animals will do a much better job.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
They should really ban ignorance. That is the most dangerous weapon of them all. How about organizing a public turn in of everyone's ignorance?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
So is this about a British knife ban or American gun rights?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I think it's getting to that. I mean at what point do you stop labeling things as weapons?

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

1 - Guns aren't banned in the UK, just highly controlled

2 - I'm from Lancashire. It was just an amnesty - police ran a high profile campaign about how people are more likely to be injured if they carry a knife and encouraged people to surrender them, which40,000+ people did and knife crime fell.

3 - There is absolutely no ban on knives. The story on the site bears absolutely no resemblance to what actually happened.

Both are common sense procedures to me.
edit on 22-6-2015 by bastion because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2015 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
They should really ban ignorance. That is the most dangerous weapon of them all. How about organizing a public turn in of everyone's ignorance?

geez, KrazyshOt....we can't even get it banned here on ATS, even though it's the website's main theme.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Silly Brit's, the next thing they will want to ban is sticks and stones.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I think it's getting to that. I mean at what point do you stop labeling things as weapons?

After they ban everything that can possibly be used as a weapon ( to the point of sweeping up all loose rocks from the surface of the Earth
), they will still see that people can fall and be injured, so they will have to move on to outlawing gravity.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

I know. Look how much damage is done here through not denying ignorance.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Sticks and stones...remember that one? We need to just ban all words too while we are it, because it seems that words do kill.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

2 - I'm from Lancashire. It was just an amnesty - police ran a high profile campaign about how people are more likely to be injured if they carry a knife and encouraged people to surrender them, which40,000+ people did and knife crime fell.

3 - There is absolutely no ban on knives. The story on the site bears absolutely no resemblance to what actually happened.

Wait Wait Wait....on point number 2 you say that 40,000+ (originally you had posted "several hundred" so that is a HUGE jump) people turned in knives and knife crime fell? So criminals turned in their knives? Not really sure how, unless you are a complete idiot, carrying a knife makes you more likely to be injured though...I mean unless you are out for a jog with it in your hand or something....they should ban scissors!

Better make all sidewalks and roads out of rubber too.....they hurt when you fall and stuff.....

How do they eat steak now?
edit on 6/22/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

And this after they just invented a 3d printer...what will they 3d print now?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
One of my friends posted this on facebook and I couldn't help but laugh. This article is a year old but I feel that it's still relevant. Also, I had to paraphrase the actual title, as it was too long.

The new “Save a Life – Surrender Your Knife” program is in full swing and police are telling us that they have joined forces with an already growing trend in the United Kingdom to ban “pointy” knives.

Source
Does this remind you of anything?
Some states in the U.S. have a gun buy back program where guns can be "surrendered" in an effort to stop "gun" violence.
L.A. Gun buyback program
N.Y. Cash for Guns program

Now, as most of you know, guns have been banned in the U.K. Because of that, violent crimes are being committed with knives. It goes to show that it's not the weapon that the criminal uses but the criminal. This ought to be food for thought for those who support a gun ban in the U.S. but I'm afraid that they'll totally miss the message.

Exactly what I had posted in another thread . What next ? knives ? magazines ? forks ? pencils? All the above ?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Did you know that it is possible to kill with just your finger? guess we have to get our fingers cut off.

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
So is this about a British knife ban or American gun rights?

It's the point that banning weapons doesn't save lives. People will always find a weapon of some sort, be it a baseball bat or chair leg.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I love your threads SM you always try to instill some form of humor in them .

On the subjects of bans. Personally I wish they would ban the word ban.
edit on 22-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
So I'm now wondering how everyone in the UK is going to cut things? You know, like bread, meat, sandwiches, etc....?????

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion

It is simply amazing to me that people in the UK so willingly give up their possessions just because the police get on the TV and call it dangerous. The same UK police that is known for doctoring the crime numbers to say whatever they want it to say.

They're knives... you use them to cut up your dinner. What a bunch of sissies to buy right into that nonsense.

Of course you think giving up knives is common sense... just like giving up guns was common sense. What's next on the list of common sense items to give up in the name of safety?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join