It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why are some college students so dumb?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Are you implying said softer sciences lack intelligence of say an Engineer/Physicist?

Sciences don't have intelligence. People have intelligence.

But yes, I am implying that most of the people who study the kind of subjects I mention above at university level are of inferior intelligence compared to the average intelligence of, say, a physics or mathematics class.

Here's a chart of stuent IQ estimates by 'intended college major', from a very reliable source. It proves my point — unless you want to argue that IQ does not correlate with actual intelligence, in which case I still have some pre-2001 internet stocks you might be interested in buying.

edit on 19/6/15 by Astyanax because: I left out the link.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Are you implying said softer sciences lack intelligence of say an Engineer/Physicist?

Sciences don't have intelligence. People have intelligence.

But yes, I am implying that most of the people who study the kind of subjects I mention above at university level are of inferior intelligence compared to the average intelligence of, say, a physics or mathematics class.

Here's a chart of stuent IQ estimates by 'intended college major', from a very reliable source. It proves my point — unless you want to argue that IQ does not correlate with actual intelligence, in which case I still have some pre-2001 internet stocks you might be interested in buying.

No I prefer to argue that IQ is not even close to the only level or measure of intelligence. I prefer to argue that IQ is not an indicator of future performance when vast amounts of variables exist. I prefer to argue that just because a person chose a soft science does not neccessarily equate to the lack of ability to perform in so-called "superior sciences."

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

No I prefer to argue that IQ is not even close to the only level or measure of intelligence.

Nobody said it was the only measure. But it is undoubtedly a measure — and, in the experience of those who make use of it for practical purposes, such as academic selection and job recruitment — a very reliable one.

I prefer to argue that IQ is not an indicator of future performance when vast amounts of variables exist.

Nobody is disputing that, either. IQ is not an indicator of 'future performance' because intelligence is not an indicator of 'future performance'.

I prefer to argue that just because a person chose a soft science does not neccessarily equate to the lack of ability to perform in so-called "superior sciences.

You can argue it as much as you like, but the abysses of scientific incomprehension publicly displayed by intellectuals and journalists who received their higher education in the social sciences rather spoils your argument. As do the facts I posted earlier.

Facts. Ghastly things, aren't they? Every time you look up, some pesky fact has ruined yet another theory in the social 'sciences'.

edit on 20/6/15 by Astyanax because: it's a fact.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Exactly. School is all about memorization. Not reasoning or creativity. School is just a factory production line. Move them in and move them out. Like mindless robots. History in what it really is, should be the most interesting subject in school. But the way they teach it, it's no wonder majority think it is the most boring. Because of what you said. It's nothing but names and dates. And time and place. And learning that teaches you nothing on how the world was shaped by past events. The way education in general in this country is taught is bad. Schools care about two things. Attendance (how they receive money) and the standardized, state testing. That's it. Oh, and to become molded into un-creative robots for the working world. We can't have too many people thinking out the box and ruining the system in place to follow. We are brainwashed at an early age with education.

Also, college means nothing anymore. Everyone goes now. A college diploma means jack. Anyone can get them. Not enough kids are actually learning anything useful. Just mindlessly going through the motions and trying to do enough to get by.

If you just show up for class and put forth even the tiniest bit of effort, you will be handed a diploma. Having one or attending college does not equate to you having intelligence.

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackspider928
a reply to: Isurrender73

Also, college means nothing anymore. Everyone goes now. A college diploma means jack. Anyone can get them. Not enough kids are actually learning anything useful. Just mindlessly going through the motions and trying to do enough to get by.

If you just show up for class and put forth even the tiniest bit of effort, you will be handed a diploma. Having one or attending college does not equate to you having intelligence.

Yeah I see I have overstated college education. I just always assumed in America everyone who went to college was intelligent and this must have been the case in the 80's and 90's, and that college was a big thing. Now I see this is defnitely not the case anymore with the standards dropping.
Blackspider, do you think college will ever get back to what it was?

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: croatianguy

An abiding mystery to me also.

I've noticed this certainly over the last decade, though actually over the last 20 years or so. Quiz show after quiz show, the late teens/early 20s crowd are generally clueless and invariably outshone by older competitors in their 40s/50s who've had nothing more than a basic education. I've tried to avoid forming this conclusion because it looks so much like the old guy saying, "It wasn't like this in my day"; but it's so glaringly obvious that surely most people have noticed this trend?

It's a cause of great concern that young doctors are plucked from this crowd of shedheads.

Your life in their hands...their knife in your glands...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

hint - what is the comedy value of people giving the correct answers ??????????????????

Still, how does ANYONE get these wrong?

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

50% of any population is below average inteligence

further - ever notice how few people some of these clips have ? - they keep cutting back to the same person

lastly - as previously noted some people " freeze " ang get tongue tied when you shove a mic in thier face

a panicked idiot is doing well to get thier own name right

EDIT TO ADD :

they ignore 100s of people who are articulate and give correct answers - till they find dumb-asses
edit on 22-6-2015 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join