It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why are some college students so dumb?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Some knowledge is irrelevant to have, it's something you learn through life, i'm 42 and still come around common knowledge that i didn't know simply because i didn't need it or meet someone or something that would teach me it.

Not many people can answer every question in Trivial Pursuit, but will learn something irrelevant or common after or during playing...

It has nothing to do with low IQ or being dumb...

edit on 17-6-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: croatianguyColleges are a business. They are there to make a profit. Therefore most colleges will accept anyone. If a person wants to go into debt to get a degree the colleges are there to make that happen.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: croatianguy
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

So bottom line - a college's most wanted student is one that is dumb and rich?

You got it, it's all about the profits. If it wasn't, I know of one university in Ontario, Canada that could lower their tuitions easily, since they have more than 8 billion dollars on deposit. Most universities and colleges are the same in varying degrees as far as deposits go. Follow the money....

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I found this rather interesting:

"The value of IQ seems to be based on the assumption that scholastic achievement is predicting success in life and the assumption that scholastic skills, as they are taught at the moment, are important for succeeding in life however research suggests that scholastic achievement does not necessarily lead to success in life.
School was the solution for factory owners who since the onset of industrialisation were in need for more skilled workers. To deliver skilled and reliable workers, operatives and employees, the government’s educational department puts emphasis in school on practical skills like being on time, accepting long hours of mind boring activity and learning just enough information to deal with certain machines, and read and calculate enough, but not too much, so the establishment wasn’t questioned."

Taken from www.powerwood.org.uk...

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

a reply to: enlightenedservant

Then I guess they would really mess up at exam time if they cant handle simple questions from Leno.

But gettting back to my original point - you dont agree that their are people in college who shouldnt be there?

Of course there are, but it doesn't mean they are going to graduate.

ETA: You used the word their wrong.
edit on 17-6-2015 by amicktd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: croatianguy

They're in Business Studies. Or possibly one of the softer social sciences.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

You know nothing about these people. Can you link the segment?
Are we sure they are even in college?
I do agree money gets plenty of people in that maybe should not be but won't agree that one question they get wrong means they shouldn't be there.

What is an A grade college btw?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: d8track
Kids are dumb because they rely on there smart phones.

This. Kids don't need to know anything as long as they can ask Siri or Google Now.

The problem is, they don't have any critical thinking skills anymore.

Try this:

Ask a kid this question, "What were Lincoln's thoughts about trade with Europe during the Civil War?". Have a kid research to find an answer.

Chances are they'll just google the EXACT question. Then, they'll probably come back to you and say, "I don't know, Google didn't find any answers."

Well, you have to look at multiple sources, combine information and FORMULATE an answer -- it isn't just given to you by Google or Siri!

That, my friends, is the difference with kids today. They behave like Google and Siri. They are query bots. They can't formulate answers, because they can only do exactly what they're told to do. They see things in black and white, and if a grey-shaded question is presented to them, they shut down.

We are slowly becoming more like computers, and we're programming our computers to become more like humans.
edit on 17-6-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

You know nothing about these people. Can you link the segment?
Are we sure they are even in college?
I do agree money gets plenty of people in that maybe should not be but won't agree that one question they get wrong means they shouldn't be there.

What is an A grade college btw?

Here is a great link for you...

A Grade college meaning top tier college in each state.

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
And another which includes a few college students...you can ignore the average John Doe, Im just singling out the college students in this clip.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I deal with college students regularly and they can be rediculously stupid and entitled. One problem is parents not preparing them to conduct an adult life when they leave home. They break the rules and then get obnoxious when explaining why the rules are dumb and shouldnt apply to them. They yell about being treated like adults but when they dont get their way they have their parents call to "straighten it out". Parents get the same answer and get outraged that no exception will be made for their children because the rules apply to everyone equally.

The internet is a big one. I have had many calls from kids complaining about the net being down at their apartment complex. I tell them sorry but they dont consider internet access to be an emergency issue after hours so will have to either wait till morning or they can call the provider themselves to report a problem. They rant and curse demanding to know how they are supposed to do their homework. I suggest the library and they yell about how that would mean going out and being inconvenienced and wont call themselves because they "shouldnt have to". Then I get the mommy/daddy call. Many many of these kids are drunk when they call. Entitled, unprepared and balking at the notion that they might have to actually make an effort to get their work done. Cant stand any of them anymore. No shock that they dont know basic information.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: torque

torque, interesting what you say. What percentage would you say of college students that dont know basic information?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: amicktd

a reply to: enlightenedservant

Then I guess they would really mess up at exam time if they cant handle simple questions from Leno.

But gettting back to my original point - you dont agree that their are people in college who shouldnt be there?

Of course there are, but it doesn't mean they are going to graduate.

ETA: You used the word their wrong.

amicktd, doesnt it bother you that they were allowed to enroll in college in the first place?

btw, apologies on my grammar, their - there, its a common typing error but at least I recognize it.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: d8track
Kids are dumb because they rely on there smart phones.

This. Kids don't need to know anything as long as they can ask Siri or Google Now.

The problem is, they don't have any critical thinking skills anymore.

Try this:

Ask a kid this question, "What were Lincoln's thoughts about trade with Europe during the Civil War?". Have a kid research to find an answer.

Chances are they'll just google the EXACT question. Then, they'll probably come back to you and say, "I don't know, Google didn't find any answers."

Well, you have to look at multiple sources, combine information and FORMULATE an answer -- it isn't just given to you by Google or Siri!

That, my friends, is the difference with kids today. They behave like Google and Siri. They are query bots. They can't formulate answers, because they can only do exactly what they're told to do. They see things in black and white, and if a grey-shaded question is presented to them, they shut down.

We are slowly becoming more like computers, and we're programming our computers to become more like humans.

MystikMushroom, would you also include Harvard and Princeton students in this bracket?

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

They're in Business Studies. Or possibly one of the softer social sciences.

What are the softer social sciences? History, Economics, Geography - thats a fail for them.
Business Studies, I would hate to see how they go about applying mathematical concepts appropriate to business situations.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

What are the softer social sciences?

Anthropology, psychology, sociology, any field with the word 'studies' in it (eg Women's Studies) and anything in which Marx, Freud or the postmodernists are considered to have any intellectual value whatsoever.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

As far as text book knowledge, I couldnt guess a percentage. But my fear is that it may be a bit higher than I would have thought. Things like not knowing who won the civil war bother me. I wonder could it be a retentain/recall problem? The civil war was not some one shot deal 5th grade class topic. It has saturated American culture in every way through every medium since it took place. How can anyone beyond 13 not know the answer?

Basic life knowledge, maybe put that at 75%.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Are you implying said softer sciences lack intelligence of say an Engineer/Physicist?

Our sciences are radically different yes...but that does not equate to lower levels of intelligence. And plenty of engineers, physicists, biologists and the like can be caught off guard and make mistakes as well.

That is so sad. People in MBA programs, MA, MACP, PsyD, etc have their share of exceptionally intelligent people. I am doing my MBA as we speak (ok well at THIS moment I am on ATS...point made) and their is a hefty amount of business math involved that can and does include algebra and calculus. Being in a doctoral program in psychology or sociology means that you must pass quantitative, qualitative and sometimes hybrid testing, and very advanced statistics, ANOVA, testing, etc. People who do MA's in clinical psych (my current status), require a high level of social and emotional intelligence to read people and especially read the ever-present manipulations that clients often present with.

Croationguy...

You really must get over yourself friend. People make mistakes...A LOT. You do, I do, people with a 170+ IQ do...all of us do. Yeah their are some willfully ignorant people in this world but that is not representative of all of college.

The amount of variables involved in "Jaywalkin" is immense. Anxiety CAN and DOES cause extremely simple mistakes all the time. Read up on cognitive theory and how anxiety, panic, phobia and fear can make us dumb as a box of rocks temporarily. I had a friend who desperately wanted 30+ on her ACT. She had extreme test taking anxiety. Sat down, flipped out internally and misspelled her name on the top of the paper and turned in a score of 25. Took again under controlled environments and she got her 30+. Situational anxiety is real.

While I am at it, the editing has been mentioned to you multiple times. Jay's editors and producers could have met hundreds and received perfectly coherent and appropriate answers and took the 10 or so silly and wrong ones and put them in the show. As stated...what's funnier; hearing someone tell you the mean average distance between the sun and Earth or hearing a college student accidentally say England won the US Civil War? Howard Stern does the same thing but his walkers also frequently add specifically spoken questions meant to trip up people. He also picks areas on NYC that he expects to find uninformed masses. Asking specifically what do people prefer...the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare? Asking people who have no clue if they appreciated what "Ted Kennedy achieved in Chappaquidick. Asking like that sounds like a positive.

Look at the difference

Three versions

"Sir, do you feel what Ted Kennedy did in Chappaquidick was appropriate?"

"Sir, what do you think of what Ted Kennedy achieved in Chappaquidick?"

"Sir, do you think Ted Kennedy essentially murdered Mary Jo Kopechne in Chappaquidick?"

The second two are very leading. The first is open ended and offers a relatively neutral set up

Finally, prove to me that Jaywalkin isn't just like every other "reality" show or clip. Prove to me that a producer well off camera didn't set these "college kids" up

WAY too many variables. Are their uninformed college kids? Hell yes. Is ten silly answers that may be rigger on "Jaywalkin" representative of college? No

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

No it doesn't bother me at all. I'm a firm believer you get what you want out of college. You can skim by with the bare minimum or you can actually get your money worth. Thats their choice.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero
a reply to: Astyanax
Croationguy...

You really must get over yourself friend. People make mistakes...A LOT. You do, I do, people with a 170+ IQ do...all of us do. Yeah their are some willfully ignorant people in this world but that is not representative of all of college.

The amount of variables involved in "Jaywalkin" is immense. Anxiety CAN and DOES cause extremely simple mistakes all the time. Read up on cognitive theory and how anxiety, panic, phobia and fear can make us dumb as a box of rocks temporarily. I had a friend who desperately wanted 30+ on her ACT. She had extreme test taking anxiety. Sat down, flipped out internally and misspelled her name on the top of the paper and turned in a score of 25. Took again under controlled environments and she got her 30+. Situational anxiety is real.

While I am at it, the editing has been mentioned to you multiple times. Jay's editors and producers could have met hundreds and received perfectly coherent and appropriate answers and took the 10 or so silly and wrong ones and put them in the show. As stated...what's funnier; hearing someone tell you the mean average distance between the sun and Earth or hearing a college student accidentally say England won the US Civil War? Howard Stern does the same thing but his walkers also frequently add specifically spoken questions meant to trip up people. He also picks areas on NYC that he expects to find uninformed masses. Asking specifically what do people prefer...the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare? Asking people who have no clue if they appreciated what "Ted Kennedy achieved in Chappaquidick. Asking like that sounds like a positive.

Look at the difference

Three versions

"Sir, do you feel what Ted Kennedy did in Chappaquidick was appropriate?"

"Sir, what do you think of what Ted Kennedy achieved in Chappaquidick?"

"Sir, do you think Ted Kennedy essentially murdered Mary Jo Kopechne in Chappaquidick?"

The second two are very leading. The first is open ended and offers a relatively neutral set up

Finally, prove to me that Jaywalkin isn't just like every other "reality" show or clip. Prove to me that a producer well off camera didn't set these "college kids" up

WAY too many variables. Are their uninformed college kids? Hell yes. Is ten silly answers that may be rigger on "Jaywalkin" representative of college? No

Kyozero, I never said it all it was representative of college, dont know where you got that from. I asked why are SOME college students dumb. It may only be 10% of college students that are like this. That was my issue, how is this minority getting to college. Of course Jay Leno would have got 90 college students out of a 100 that would have answered correctly, you are right hes not gonna put them on show. But the fact is there were still college students answering wrongly. That first clip I showed that college chick didnt even know the concept of a country...its not that they dont know the answers, they dont even understand the fundamental concepts of basic things. If Leno asked them questions like their name or 1+1 = what? then do you really think anxiety will make them dumbfounded to answer those questions? They would answer them instinctively. So asking a question which country borders USA - you would think she could answer instincitvely in the same manner like answering what her name is without thinking at all. So anxiety shouldnt come into it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join