It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What differentiates humans from other species ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: gosseyn

I would say human "culture" differs greatly from other species in the animal kingdom because we are disconnected from nature and are very destructive in so many different ways.

Also, we wear clothes

Yes, we have a different culture than other animals, but it is still culture. And clothes can be seen as tools (their primary function), and we see some animals using tools. So in my opinion, it cannot be that.

I am looking for a very specific difference, some characteristic that only humans have.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Birds and other animals are conscious. Everytime I go outside it's a bird or a group of them right there flying around in my direct space, like they know who I am and where I'm about to go. They have structures like the pyramids thousands of years old, but the structures being built now falling apart after 100 years and not even that long if you look some houses.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
Humans are different because they know that in time they will die. They can imagine themselves in other places and times. The concept of you in time is what makes you try to secure yourself by any means possible.
To an animal life is happening - to a human life is happening to them.

Yes, but isn't that just an effect of consciousness ? A consciousness that is more acute, but it still is consciousness, and other animals have consciousness. We can say that we have the awareness of our awareness, conscious of being conscious, but in the end it is still consciousness.

I think having the awareness of our awareness is also what permits us to understand that information is important and to try to transmit it by writing it down.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn

originally posted by: 321Go
There is one very definite difference between us and other animals. Most of the traits we believe are human are shared by other species, like love or self-awareness or communication, among others, except that is, for faith. Other animals do not worship a creator.

I believe, if it were possible to ask, they would have no idea what we were talking about if we were to suggest such a thing. They would probably believe we had a screw loose, and they would probably be correct.

That's a good point. But I think it is less a dedicated function and more of an incomprehension. I mean our minds have to give some answer to questions that we cannot answer yet, questions to which we will maybe never be able to give a satisfactory answer.

I don't quite follow your logic. Our minds have developed (a word I'm using with caution) to the state of needing answers for everything. Those that our ancestors could not answer with physical evidence where answered with mythological stories, and this then developed into worshipped religion.

Animals have absolutely no need to ask why a mountain or tree is where it is, or why the sun comes up and which revolves around which, and ultimately who or what made it all happen. That is uniquely human.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
An animal does not realize that it exists. An animal is only aware of what is happening - it does not see itself in mind - or time (same thing).

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I would argue that animals are conscious. Anyone who has developed an attachment to a pet will tell you that they can think and have personalities.

Animals don't have religion. Only man has a relationship with God.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
An animal does not realize that it exists. An animal is only aware of what is happening - it does not see itself in mind - or time (same thing).

I would disagree with that. Elephants have been known to mourn (and even cry) their dead fellow group members. They have also displayed the same rituals with members of other herds. They have been shown to attempt to bury dead elephants, or cover them with branches. There have even been reports of them doing this with sleeping people, thinking we are dead, and even helping injured people back to safety of their community.

That shows all the evidence of being aware of mortality and existence.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn

There is one very definite difference between us and other animals. Most of the traits we believe are human are shared by other species, like love or self-awareness or communication, among others, except that is, for faith. Other animals do not worship a creator.

I believe, if it were possible to ask, they would have no idea what we were talking about if we were to suggest such a thing. They would probably believe we had a screw loose, and they would probably be correct.

That's a good point. But I think it is less a dedicated function and more of an incomprehension. I mean our minds have to give some answer to questions that we cannot answer yet, questions to which we will maybe never be able to give a satisfactory answer.

I don't quite follow your logic. Our minds have developed (a word I'm using with caution) to the state of needing answers for everything. Those that our ancestors could not answer with physical evidence where answered with mythological stories, and this then developed into worshipped religion.

Animals have absolutely no need to ask why a mountain or tree is where it is, or why the sun comes up and which revolves around which, and ultimately who or what made it all happen. That is uniquely human.

I am just not convinced that looking for a creator is different in nature than looking what's under a rock or what's inside a cave. I mean questioning things is part of consciousness. If we drop a sealed box in the middle of a group of monkeys I am sure they are going to try to open it to see what is inside. So we can say that our consciousness is more deep and large and encompasses more things and also more abstract things but in the end there is no difference in nature between this and that.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I believe I have a strange fact to be added to your differences.
Do any of the other species we know of need guidance to exist?

The answer you'll agree is an absolute negative.

I think of mankind today as the one species that is completely out
of control. Despite the vastness of his superiority and intelligence
and imagination you can see it everywhere everyday and it can't
even be denied. Mankinds intelligence is lacking guidance where no
other species does.
edit on Ram61115v31201500000031 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Gosseyn, I think you're describing curiosity, not faith.
edit on 11-6-2015 by 321Go because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

other species does.

Can you elaborate on "guidance" ? Are you talking of faith ?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

other species does.

Randy, I think I know where you're ultimately going with this, so I'll disagree with your statement, especially in light of my other posts.

I don't believe the human race is out of control – we're the dominant species on this planet and we're displaying that dominance. An individual's morals or ethics are neither here nor there, except when that person is the dominant person within a group, a society or nation. In that case, the strong morals or ethics of that leader can influence the group either way. Two examples are the Dalai Lama and Hitler.

If one feels the need for, or is taught ethical, moral or spiritual guidance they will seek it. But that's a personal and individual requirement and again, uniquely human.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Guidance: advice or information aimed at resolving a problem or difficulty,
especially as given by someone in authority.

An oracle if you will?

edit on Ram61115v53201500000010 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
All information (wisdom) is stored in God, so all relevant information would be available to any living being in any age, and would manifest as a vibratory state to an incarnated entity.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Guidance: advice or information aimed at resolving a problem or difficulty,
especially as given by someone in authority.

An oracle if you will?

But there are many species other than humans inside which there are alpha specimens who decide for the rest of the troop. The activity of those dominant specimens shapes the overall behavior of the troop. So we can say there are other species "who look for guidance".

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Language is the determining factor. This has been known for quite some time.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Randy, I think I know where you're ultimately going with this, so I'll disagree with your statement, especially in light of my other posts.

I don't believe the human race is out of control .

On the verge of destroying (fukushima) ourselves, the only home
we have and every other living thing on the planet and you remain
in denial? It is this type of blindness that will surely cement our demise.

I said it can't even be denied. Our intelligence is quite obviously a loose cannon.
Without guidance.

edit on Rpm61115v27201500000012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 321Go

I don't believe the human race is out of control .

On the verge of destroying (fukushima) ourselves, the only home
we have and every other living thing on the planet and you remain
in denial? It is this type of blindness that will surely cement our demise.

I said it can't even be denied. Our intelligence is quite obviously a loose cannon.
Without guidance.

Am I being censored?

edit on Rpm61115v35201500000012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Language is the determining factor. This has been known for quite some time.

Yes language, and it is what makes possible the transmitting of information through centuries and millennia which I talk about in the OP, but many other species have a language of their own, so it can't be just language.

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

But there are many species other than humans inside which there are alpha specimens who decide for the rest of the troop. The activity of those dominant specimens shapes the overall behavior of the troop. So we can say there are other species "who look for guidance".

You speak of leaders, leaders who lack guidance. Who are no more
infallable than the rest. That's why I said mankind lacks guidance.
Much more intelligent guidance.

As I said it can't be denied.

No other species needs guidance to survive. We quite obviously
threaten the whole planet (fukushima) and evry living thing on it, for its lacking.
edit on Rpm61115v58201500000033 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join