It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Microsoft giving away windows 10?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: korg trinity

Misunderstanding indeed. I just sourced a ten day old direct reply from the horses mouth and you've countered with a three month old article - written during a period when a Tweet from a Microsoft VP led to the assumption that pirated copies would qualify.

Microsoft allowed that to fester for awhile ( I'd guess just to sit back and see how many people cheered - to get some real world intel on just now pirated their product is ) and then Microsoft clarified.

But whatever. Come July when threads pop-up asking why pirated copies of Windows are not updating to Win 10? We'll find out where the truth lay.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: korg trinity

originally posted by: interupt42

In your case it would be worth noting that the Free Windows 10 upgrade is open to all instances of 7 service pack one and Windows 8.1 whether it is a genuine copy or not......

Does not appear to be the case, they are back tracking:
Originally only China was to be allowed to upgrade illegal copies now it appears that no one will be allowed.

blogs.windows.com...

Microsoft and our OEM partners know that many consumers are unwitting victims of piracy, and with Windows 10, we would like all of our customers to move forward with us together. While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state. In addition, in partnership with some of our valued OEM partners, we are planning very attractive Windows 10 upgrade offers for their customers running one of their older devices in a Non-Genuine state

So much misunderstanding...

you are also wrong...

Windows 10 upgrades will remain 'non-genuine' for pirates, Microsoft says

Your article is dated March . the link I provided that was made after your article from windows blog

While our free offer to upgrade to Windows 10 will not apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices, and as we’ve always done, we will continue to offer Windows 10 to customers running devices in a Non-Genuine state.

The keywords are "Will not Apply to Non-Genuine Windows devices" , "as we’ve always done" , and "to offer"

So you and your article may be jumping the gun as their is very little detail on what is that they will allow, Hence the misunderstanding from numerous blogs, magazines, and tech articles.

edit on 55630America/ChicagoMon, 15 Jun 2015 08:55:06 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: hefficide

Misunderstanding indeed. I just sourced a ten day old direct reply from the horses mouth and you've countered with a three month old article - written during a period when a Tweet from a Microsoft VP led to the assumption that pirated copies would qualify.

Microsoft allowed that to fester for awhile ( I'd guess just to sit back and see how many people cheered - to get some real world intel on just now pirated their product is ) and then Microsoft clarified.

But whatever. Come July when threads pop-up asking why pirated copies of Windows are not updating to Win 10? We'll find out where the truth lay.

Guys.... stop eating your own backsides and go and search Google for yourselves.... Geeze....

1. You can Upgrade from Windows 7 upwards regardless of the genuine status of it!!

2. If you upgrade from a non genuine copy of Windows it will continue to be non genuine after Windows 10 upgrade.

3. If you are savvy enough and you know how to work around the Software Licensing Manager prior to upgrade and therefore not fall foul of a misaligned licence status after upgrade.

4. Happy days

July 29 is nearly here.... perhaps I'll come back and slap you guys around a bit for the enjoyment

edit on 15-6-2015 by korg trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dismanrc
Just kind of makes me think.

Microsoft never gives away free upgrade to new platforms. Why now? (OK MAYBE as a promotional item, but not like this.)

They are even talking about giving it away to people with pirated copies of 7 and 8.

Something smells here.

I understand that it is easier to maintain only one platform, but FREE?

It's the smell of money, or rather the lack of. With all the smartphones out there an awful lot of demand for PC's has gone ie the folks who just email and web browse. Linux may, at long last, be starting to go mainstream. I have used it for 8 years now with no regrets. I have windows on a virtual machine but never run it. I have all the apps I want and I don't pay a penny. In fact I have not bought any software for 8 years !!!!!

The only issue with Linux is gaming but that looks like it's changing thanks to Steam.

There will also be some activity in the background that Microsoft has got wind of if it's gaming related it will force Microsofts hand.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Why cant I see any replies in this thread...only quotes ??

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

You're delusional if you think MS will allow pirated copies an upgrade path... just cause. They are attempting to market to compete with the open source movement, but the implementation won't really resemble it.

Also, you've clearly changed the goalposts in your last post. This means you realize you've already lost.
edit on 15-6-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ken10

I can't even see this post

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I can't even see this post

Is it just me

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ken10

Hmmm, that was weird...opened a new tab, reloaded ATS and all is good

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

You're delusional if you think MS will allow pirated copies an upgrade path... just cause. They are attempting to market to compete with the open source movement, but the implementation won't really resemble it.

Also, you've clearly changed the goalposts in your last post. This means you realize you've already lost.

Stop sprouting what you think to be true and go and find out the truth...

What I've said hasn't changed.... also I'm not here to Win.. I was offering some friendly advice... it was the spew of incorrect information and misunderstandings that came after it I was reacting to.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dismanrc Maybe they learned something from Linux. That free is a good thing.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
a reply to: dismanrc Maybe they learned something from Linux. That free is a good thing.

Free isn't actually free though... this business model which sprung up in the 90's which offered the consumer freemium services... are either underwritten by advertising or through other additional services.

In this case it is not only the fact that Microsoft damaged themselves horribly with Windows 8... they also pinned their success on creating an App store int he same way that Apple / Google / Amazon did.

Windows wants to be Chrome OS it wants to be Apple IOS and wants to be all things to all people....

Windows 8 attempted this but alienated the core base and suffered for it.

Their strategic Partnership with Oculus was a good move by Microsoft... though a terrible one for Oculus... It means they are poised to be the OS of choice for VR... which is the next big platform after Mobile.

Korg.

posted on Jun, 16 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Of course they aren't giving it away. You see what happens when someone tries to create a truly free OS. Linux happens. Now while Linux is somewhat usable (finally) even to a newbie, it still is a challenge to install and use on a daily basis. Especially if you don't care for the programs that are available to do things like view photos and listen to music. And Linux is buggy in ways that Windows hasn't been for years.

Have you seen Mint yet by chance?

If not, you should give it a look, Linux has come and incredibly long way and it's much easier for even the non computer savy to use an OS like Mint then it ever has been.

~Tenth

Yes. I have. It looks great. The problem is it's still Linux. You still cannot use most of the freeware that is available for Windows without screwing around with Wine (and even when I tried that I could barely even get Irfanview to work right).

The problem with Linux is that this is what you get when you deal with things that are free and available because a few people had some spare time and cooked up a half-baked OS. They have no incentive to listen to criticism. No one really cares that most people prefer Windows. They have no incentive to get organized and turn this thing into a real Windows alternative. Linux is an OS that was made by nerds for nerds. And Windows users (mostly) are not real nerds. That's why they pay $100 for an operating system that just works. Most people just want to click "install" and be using their software in five minutes. You will never get that kind of universal simplicity out of people who are not being paid to make it happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I have not read the thread or even the OP, please forgive.

The thing that is annoying me is that if I am not paying attention when I shut down my computer it will download and update when I shut down.

I don't feel like learning another OS right now, 7 is fine for my purposes.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

The thing that is annoying me is that if I am not paying attention when I shut down my computer it will download and update when I shut down.
You can specify the update behavior for Windows; notify only, download only, or download and install.

Windows 10 will not install itself.

edit on 8/15/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Well, here it is, August 15th and my pirated copy of windows 7 is not getting the windows 10 upgrade.

No pop up, no notification in my status bar, nothing....(crickets here)

My son in law who built my P.C. for me about 4 years ago installed this version for some unknown reason,

I think because his hacker friends and co-workers all had pirated copies so it was an easy install.

In fact, there are and have always been 2 updates that I cannot get with this version which I think keeps it locked in as a pirated version..

Anyway, I am here just to let you know that I did not receive A copy of Windows 10...Period.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I would say they are giving it away because the upgrade is an epic fail on Acer Laptops. So much so that after waiting for 2 hours of my life I wont get back, I reverted to Windows 8.1 which is 10 time faster and more stable. The upgrade blows chunks.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: baddmove

Count your blessing badmove, it sucks large.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Windows 10 is working great. lots faster than 8 and the new explorer is super fast. Work is going towards Google but I opted for 10 on my new machine but will also need Chrome because our IT department gets a new leader every 6 months.

Windows will continue to dominate the business world. My computer didn't come with office because they want us to go Goofle but I cant put up with it's limitations.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Good to know. Thank You.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join