It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam in talks to buy fighters, patrol aircraft, UAVs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
In a turn of events I never thought I'd see, Vietnam is in talks with SAAB, Airbus Defense, Eurofighter, Lockheed Martin, and Boeing.

The country recently took delivery of three Russian built Kilo Class submarines, with three more on order, and ordered 12 Su-30s. They're looking to replace 100 MiG-21s, as well as adding an improved maritime patrol ability, and an unmanned ISR capability.

The US has to date pledged $18M to help Hanoi buy US patrol craft. Aircraft under discussion include the Gripen E, Typhoon, KAI F/A-50, SAAB 340 or 2000, C-130 Sea Hercules, and the Boeing MSA.

ca.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What do you think the odds of China being a factor in this decision are?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Oh I know they are. I just never thought Vietnam would be looking to become closer to the US like they are.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Absolutely 100% the reason. Did you notice that none of the potential aircraft was sourced from Beijing? Vietnam has a growing economy and a neighbor flexing its muscles, this course was frankly inevitable. I would expect to see similar moves from The Philippines, Malaysia etc in the near future. All this island building and threats to "Preeze reeve qriuckry!" Has everyone worried.

LEE.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

The Philippines is trying. They had a number of bids recently for patrol aircraft. All but two were disqualified in the first round, and those two were disqualified when they didn't meet the requirements of the program.

But they're trying.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Fear is a powerful factor. They know there is 0% chance Russia helps them, who else is there? At one point the US and UK hated each other, now we are allies.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Actually this comes as no surprise to anyone following what's going on in the South China Sea . But to those that don't understand what's going on I am not surprised by the response .

WASHINGTON — The United States on Thursday partially lifted its longtime ban on the provision of lethal arms to Vietnam, a move that is intended to help Hanoi strengthen its maritime security as it contends with a more assertive China.

It has been talked about for a while and movement was finally taken in 2014 .

source

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

If you can't keep petty remarks out of your post you should just not post. It was not that long ago we were at war with Vietnam. I bet if you told the soldiers coming home that within their lifetime we would start to be allies they would be fairly surprised.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Some people only find remarks Petty when they disagree with their opinion. The fact is this has been talked about and movements were made a while ago. IE in my opinion which I am entitled to on this site. This is no surprise whatsoever .

I apologize for introducing actual facts .
edit on 5-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

We both know what you did. Get over yourself. You can have your opinion all you like, doesn't mean you aren't rude for no reason.

As I said, if you told our boys coming home from Vietnam back then this would be happening today they would tell you that you are crazy.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

We both know what you did

No we don't. All I did was post a counterstatement to the OP that was factually correct . If that offended you for some reason I don't know what to tell you.

Can you in anyway attack my statements instead of me?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

I already did exactly that, twice. No need to keep conversing with you.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

The question that begs to be answered .

Then why did you start?
edit on 5-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I just wonder...do you as a US citizen support your country giving money/helping other countries to buy weapons ?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Why not? Would depend on the country. The goal is to develop closer ties with Vietnam. Is that bad?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Without any stretch of the imagination it is a bizarre twist in a deeply historic event rooted in modern America, France before America too, so this is really newsworthy.

I think that a lot of the soldiers like many wars move on and many don't. German and Allies got over it.

The was more the communist vs democracy, but what it does show is the pointlessness of some wars (not all wars - hitler needed stopping).

So really interesting turn of events that obviously Vietnam do not feel allied to China, indeed threatened and don't see the US as a threat (because it isn't).

I think Vietnam would do just fine, they fought a superpower before only this time the enemy looks like them.

I vote Typhoon

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Oh I know they are. I just never thought Vietnam would be looking to become closer to the US like they are.

Actually they are and are trying to enter the world market. the PI is getting UAVs and I hope so does Vietnam, I like both countries, be fun to visit them again.

Most of it is 1206 funding....

edit on 5-6-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

I just wonder...do you as a US citizen support your country giving money/helping other countries to buy weapons ?

We must since we voted in to office the people making the decision to do it....

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Philippines is amazing. I will be back there in a few years.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   

betchya Vietnam gets demonized all over again and get put on the Axis of Evil list - 2nd revision

top topics

<<   2 >>

join