It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vietnam in talks to buy fighters, patrol aircraft, UAVs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Vietnam has every right to defend themselves. Right now they're in a bad position to do that, with a neighbor that they have bad relations with. I hope they don't use them, but yes, I support them buying them and us selling them if that is who they choose to buy from.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I agree with you. I think three things are going on. Vietnam sees China acting up and dontvwant to become another tibet. China probably wouldn't try to do that cause its crazy but I believe the fear is there among the populous. The govt probably wants to appear strong to make them more comfortable.

Second and more importantly Vietnam is trying to get a stronger industrial base to be more competitive with China and sell their wears to the intl market. China probably doesnt want that to happen or become a trend with other south east Asian nations. It's gunna happen anyway and itveill hurt the Chinese economy while giving the USA a little more freedom from our economic relationship with China.

China wants those islands to control shipping and throw a monkey wrench into any plan like this coming to fruition.

China's basically scared.

Third. If China does get hostile in the south Asian seas Vietnam probably and wisely want some sort of deterrent to keep China's angst from being dumped on them. Or engaging them. Basically its Vietnam's way of saying well China whatever it is you are going to do leave us out of it.

Personally if they got an option and they got the money I say why not buy the best which would be American military products and its good for America's immediate economy and in the long run for financial stability in the region.

I'd personally like to see south east Asia with a robust economy. That way in a few years tourism will be cheaper to travel there and I can finally afford to go on vacation and do some diving in the south pacific.

edit on 5-6-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

I just wonder...do you as a US citizen support your country giving money/helping other countries to buy weapons ?

Depends on which country and why. As to Vietnam specifically, would I donate $18M to Vietnam to buy Saab or Airbus patrol planes? Probably not. Would I donate that same $18M toward a purchase from a US manufacturer? Yes. With China becoming increasingly aggressive by word and deed about expanding their hegemony, I'm okay with helping others counterbalance that. This in particular is more symbolic than substance, but it does show some resolve. If the purchase provides even a meager potential nuisance for China in the event of hostilities, I'm in. That money goes back to US manufacturers, and they'll also get support contracts for however long the equipment is in service.
All for the low, low price of $18M. That's like 8 or 9 Tomahawk missiles.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: _Del_

would I donate $18M to Vietnam to buy Saab or Airbus patrol planes? Probably not. Would I donate that same $18M toward a purchase from a US manufacturer?

That depends on what your end goal is. Donating $18M is a tiny drop in the bucket anyway and if it is used to buy EU sourced weapons then all good. As long as it throws a spanner in the works for China's expansion plans and the money doesn't go to a currently belligerent Russia then who cares if it goes to a Western European manufacturer.

The US can't and shouldn't expect to be able to gobble up every sales contract because that eventually creates a monopoly, and monopolies create weaknesses and blind spots. And clearly Vietnam is an aware shopper as they have included equipment in their list that is highly capable and amongst the best available regardless of who makes it.

LEE.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Ok. I was just curious about your sentiment about it. Noted.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Would you consider donating 18mil to charity ?

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Right now the best US airborne platforms for them are Boeing UAVs and the Hercules. The Boeing MSA is still a couple years from even being near ready, where the CASA platforms are flying and certified.

I'm not sure which fighter would fit them best though. The Gripen has the advantage of simplicity, where the Typhoon is the better overall aircraft.

There's not really any way for the US to get a monopoly with the variety their looking for.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

What's wrong with a few f16 or f15? Is that out of their price range? Not for sale to a country like them? too old of an aircraft to be viable? More than they can handle maintenance wise?

What makes a typhoon or gripen a better choice?

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
Actually Occam,
Anyone who had a decent 8th grade teacher for their US history class like I did is surprised it took this long, and knows that the Vietnam war was totally avoidable. Uncle Ho made it clear which of the two camps he wanted to be in long before dien bien phu! Hint... It wasn't the Russians! Honestly the traitors we've had in office for the last half century SHOULD HAVE been plowing money and tech into Vietnam NOT ****ING CHINA!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=19422661]
That depends on what your end goal is.

I'm all for Vietnam buying whatever equipment best meets their requirements, I just think that if I'm subsidizing it, the purchase should be local. Regardless $18M is more about bridge-building than any credible deterrent.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

Would you consider donating 18mil to charity ?

Well more than $18M is spent on "charity" in our budgets. I'd strongly consider removing all sorts of waste from the federal budget to enable different spending in other areas. This $18M is about opportunity cost.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Japan, Vietnam and the Philippines have signed and are about to sign several agreements on Air and Maritime cooperation. ASEAN brought Vietnam and Myanmar in because they have large armies to help counter China. China's heavy handed actions have managed to do something nobody else has, unify the Pacific states (minus N Korea). And push them all into the US camp. China has been angry with Russia over its sales of weapon systems the designed to fight China. Vietnam can not count on Russia because as Russia grows weaker the will more and more have bow to Chinese demands. The West is where Vietnam has to go and the West sure can use Vietnam when dealing with China.

What is interesting to watch is Japan. For so long Japan has simply sat and let the US defend it. Now because of the threat of China Japan has been very active. Japan expanded its treaty with the US so that its forces can help the US defend another country. It has signed agreements and began military exercises with the Philippines and Vietnam. It has increased its cooperation and joint training with Australia. It signed a new cooperation agreement with NATO. And most important it was the primary mover and shaker in the US, India, Japan trilateral. All these new cooperation and arms deals between the US and India are in large part do to Japan who used it close ties with both nations to bring the 3 nations together to counter China.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Nothing is "wrong" with them, they're just not a good fit for them. This is currently a country that the most advanced fighter they have is the Su-30, which while modern, is nothing like an F-16 or even an F-15. The Gripen was designed to be simple to maintain, and simple to operate, while giving high 4, or even 4.5 capabilities, as well as being inexpensive compared to others.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
They're already buying more Su-30's. My guess is you'll see a purchase of FA-50, M-346, or something similar as the low-end component replacing the MiG-21's. If they elect to go cheaper, maybe the Scorpion finds a contract. Light strike role and excellent ISR while very affordable.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Doesn't suprise me... Read a few odd pages that Vietnam and China have had an on again off again border dispute for some time.

With China flexing they will defend themselves... Also a lot of Vietnam vets have made peace..So I have zero issues in assisting them.

posted on Jun, 6 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I'm personally leaning towards either an F/A-50 buy, or the Gripen. Both would be a good fit for them as far as those go. For patrol aircraft, I'm betting on CASA or SAAB. Both of those are developed and won't have to go through a testing process like a Sea Herc would or MSA would.

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Gripen, the smart fighter:

posted on Jun, 7 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

origin of the JAS-39 components.
edit on 7-6-2015 by drwire because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join