It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*** ALL MEMBERS *** Ending Rudeness, Hate, Bigotry: Getting Back to Basics

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Slippery slope.........Offensive is subjective in nature. That being said hopefully a balance can be forged.........Very slippery slope.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Other than trying to plow through the usual suspects making this thread about them. Thank you ATS staff, a welcome read.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

If people call you a hateful bigot just because of your religion and not because you said something hateful and bigoted. Then yes that should be addressed according to the rules of the site. But if you are taking a hateful and bigoted stand because of your religion. You should understand, that is not okay, and it is you who will be addressed according to the rules of the site.

Basically you can't hide behind your religion to say hateful things. But if that is not what you are doing. If you are just peacefully being religious. Then people should not spew hate at you. If they do, they should, and I am sure will, be punished according to the rules. If someone alerts the mods about it.

edit on 5-6-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: works4dhs
so I'm guessing I can say 'The New York Times is run by libtards', but I can't say 'Beezzer is a libtard'.

Actually no you can't. I referred to a sourced article as libtard garbage the other day and had my post removed and received 3 warnings. Then the person who complained about my usage of the term turned around and directly called me an asshole but their post was allowed to stand. lol

I checked. The removal of your post was righteous. Just political trolling. As to the other post, you didn't alert it. Thus we didn't see it. It's removed now.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

edit on 5-6-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'm glad to see this thread.

There are too many forums I could name that I USED TO participate in, but left because of mean-spirited members and the fact that the staff do nothing to curtail them.

Glad to see ATS is stepping up to the plate to keep it civil.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

Just to add a couple of points on Heff's comments. Most ATSers know that staff rarely discuss ex-members, reasons for banning or why posts get removed with other members. It's a CUSTOM and there are very rare exceptions.

This custom of silence has frequently been exploited by returnees and familiar members alike. They'll post public comments about mods ignoring PMs or threads being closed 'for no reason.' The thing is, no staffer can remove a post without ALL staffers seeing it. Man, we can go and look at post removals from before we were even members! All PMs are recorded and open in staff forums. Every thread that has ever been removed is stored out the back - over a decade of them.

So sometimes when you see a mini-meltdown in progress and the usual claims of being ignored by staff, it just ain't the truth. They bank on the good manners of staff not to haul 'em out on the boards.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DrogoTheNorman

I see you have participated in 9 different forums since you joined, has it really been such a bad experience after only 16 posts?
I hope your experience improves

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I just want to check something before I use it .

Everybody finds their selves occasionally in a debate with someone who is both relentless and factually incorrect . When I tire of the debate I'd like to respond humorously with the word "Potato" to announce my end in the discussion.

I am curious as to whether that will be frowned upon ? It's simply gives me a out I am satisfied with. And since using it, it has ended my own stance on some of my own endless debates. ( that I also realize are frowned upon )

edit on 5-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: intrepid

I just want to check something before I use it .

Everybody finds their selves occasionally in a debate with someone who is both relentless and factually incorrect . When I tire of the debate I'd like to respond humorously with the word "Potato" to announce my end in the discussion.

I am curious as to whether that will be frowned upon ? It's simply gives me a out I am satisfied with. And since using it has ended my stance on some of my endless debates. ( that I also realize are frowned upon )

You say potato, I say potatoe...potato, potatoe...let's call the whole thing off.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Exactly !!! Lol

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

There is nothing wrong with ending your posts with the word "potato", even if it comes to be commonly known as your personal method of expressing frustration. As long as it were not used as an obvious substitution for a slur or insult - in a very obvious way - there is nothing in the T&C that would prohibit doing so.

ETA: Potato

edit on 6/5/15 by Hefficide because: Edited for humor and irony

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Exactly !!! Lol

Why not just walk away and have done with it, that is, if it is a losing battle?

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

For me it falls more under the law of diminishing returns .

I guess there is a little ego involved to be honest . But as Heff mentioned .

I would also like it to be known as expressing my frustration in a humorous way and the announcement of the end in the debate on my part .

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Exactly !!! Lol

Why not just walk away and have done with it, that is, if it is a losing battle?
Potato.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: AshOnMyTomatoes

originally posted by: InTheLight

Exactly !!! Lol

Potato.

Potatoe.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
i'm all for civility and decorum. i have occasionally made insulting, arrogant, pompous or just dumb comments myself but hey, we've all written things in haste that we then have to regret at our leisure.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I see you have participated in 9 different forums since you joined, has it really been such a bad experience after only 16 posts?
I hope your experience improves

i'M NOT TALKING ABOUT ATS.

I'm talking about other chat forums outside of ATS.

I don't always use the same screen name on every forum.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Ah that's cool, I thought you meant ATS.
Welcome here though, I think this is the first time we have interacted so far.
For the record I am like a dog with a bone sometimes in debate, but I always try to be reasoned, and even if we ever disagree in one topic, that will not stop me agreeing with you in another. It's all about the debate to me.

...equally, you shoot me down with a reasoned argument and I will happily concede If I can't reason against it.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Than the mod God's for this, I just hope these words turn into actions.

I have not been posting on a number of threads because of this hate that has crept into ATS. So I hope this new action will weed out those few members who are ruining this community for the rest of us.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join