It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Least Two Subway Riders Have Been Arrested for Man-Spreading

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   

On a recent visit to the arraignment part in Brooklyn’s criminal court, PROP volunteers observed that police officers had arrested two Latino men on the charge of “man spreading” on the subway, presumably because they were taking up more than one seat and therefore inconveniencing other riders. Before issuing an [adjournment contemplating dismissal] for both men, the judge expressed her skepticism about the charge because of the time of the arrests: “12:11AM, I can’t believe there were many people on the subway.”

jezebel.com...

Is this just a way to get around the ban on stop and frisk.

en.rocketnews24.com...

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Fri May 29 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED

On a recent visit to the arraignment part in Brooklyn’s criminal court, PROP volunteers observed that police officers had arrested two Latino men on the charge of “man spreading” on the subway, presumably because they were taking up more than one seat and therefore inconveniencing other riders. Before issuing an [adjournment contemplating dismissal] for both men, the judge expressed her skepticism about the charge because of the time of the arrests: “12:11AM, I can’t believe there were many people on the subway.”

jezebel.com...

en.rocketnews24.com...

Knowing how abusive and corrupt the NYPD is, I would say "Yes".
edit on 29-5-2015 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Not likely a way to get around stop and frisk. It is however a push to further feminize men.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Whats man spreading...sounds a little rude lol.

+2 more 
posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

It's a claim, made by feminism that men oppress women, by taking more place than they do in public.

Similar to manspreading, (where men sit with their legs apart on the subway and take up too much room,) this is when men bring large backpacks onto the subway that take up too much room. Before you dare manterrogate me and ask why it’s a gender issue when women can have large bags too, check your privilege and realize that the only reason women have backpacks is for makeup and other items they need to measure up to the standards imposed on her by the patriarchy. If you see a woman with a large backpack taking up space, the only person you should be mad it is yourself for imposing that backpack on her with your unrealistic standards of beauty.

Read more at: www.nationalreview.com...

It's hilarious.

~Tenth

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Lol but we have extra bits so we need a little more legspace.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

In some cases it could be a little rude. But for the most part it really is just men sitting in a position that is natural for them for obvious reasons. I didn't even know this was a thing until one morning they were talking about it on the Today show and I was just astonished how stupid people are.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

It's all good.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
That is just dumb. At that time of night?

And seriously? I thought "man spreading" was a fellow wearing shorts, commando, and showing his business by spreading his legs.

That I can see arresting them for.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

So ... wait. You're saying my husband could be arrested in New York for packing along his backpack that has his work laptop and various other accoutrements needed to get both him and our son to his job and our son's daycare? It's not a small pack.

And they'd do it because he's oppressing me?

Meanwhile, I carry a fairly petite little bag because I have always hated the concept of the purse.

Remind me never, ever to move to New York. That's beyond stupid.

+4 more 
posted on May, 29 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Okay, what's good for the Goose...

Can we start a campaign to have women arrested for leaving a cloud of noxious "perfume" everywhere they go?
If my need to take up a little more space when the space is available is now a crime, then I demand that the offense of gassing people with knock-off stenches made in Chinese sweat shops also be punishable by arrest.

Rabid feminism makes it really hard for sane people like me to be a feminist.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
Okay, what's good for the Goose...

Can we start a campaign to have women arrested for leaving a cloud of noxious "perfume" everywhere they go?
If my need to take up a little more space when the space is available is now a crime, then I demand that the offense of gassing people with knock-off stenches made in Chinese sweat shops also be punishable by arrest.

Rabid feminism makes it really hard for sane people like me to be a feminist.

All you need to do is find someone with migraines triggered by scent, and you could probably make that case.

I have an old high school classmate who might help you.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Geez. Much like selling loosies, why isn't this simply a ticketed offense? If it has to be an offense at all...Seems contrived to me. We'll all be criminals soon.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Its not a feminist thing. Obviously some women with absurd ideas about what being a feminist means and what is misogynist took up the issue, but man spreading is just a lack of manners and certainly not the only infraction committed on public transportation... Criminalizing such is just as absurd and seemingly just another way for the police to attack and extract wealth from the people, especially minorities... Cuz who cares what happens to them (sarcasm)?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

So wait, now it's about feminism?
Is there no end to the whining? Do you really think any females on the train complained? Were the cops female? Come on, even the female Judge expressed skepticism.

Just because this whiney "journalist" is beating that drum doesn't mean the NYPD is. Which is more likely - The mostly male NYPD trumping some charges to circumvent the controversial "stop and frisk" or the mostly male NYPD being rabidly opposed to man-spreading? LoL!

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Its not a feminist thing. Obviously some women with absurd ideas about what being a feminist means and what is misogynist took up the issue, but man spreading is just a lack of manners and certainly not the only infraction committed on public transportation... Criminalizing such is just as absurd and seemingly just another way for the police to attack and extract wealth from the people, especially minorities... Cuz who cares what happens to them (sarcasm)?

So men are the only ones who take up space? I think women are just as capable of taking up more than their share of space.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Yes. Let's ticket all the stinky people. And all the fat ones. And all the loud ones. And the ugly ones.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

No, it's another example of how asinine NYC's laws are becoming. To even pass a law banning "man spreading" is absurd--next thing we know, we'll have 5 LEOs surrounding a man spreader, choking him out and killing him. All over a law that should not exist.

I think this is a combination of too many unnecessary laws and too many LEOs eagerly awaiting their chance to enforce them to assert their dominance over the peon general public.

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: Rocker2013

Yes. Let's ticket all the stinky people. And all the fat ones. And all the loud ones. And the ugly ones.

What should we do with those who are fat AND ugly AND loud AND stink? I know a few, so I'm just asking...

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

The U.S. is becoming so Fascist, I'll let you draw the obvious conclusions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join