It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-parking Volvo ploughs into journalists...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: gspat

just watched that - and i have serious doubts that the car was in " self park mode "

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Momma always said stupid is as stupid does. Not having that as a standard feature is stupid.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I'm only replying because I found it amusing you were the last poster lol.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
a reply to: sn0rch

how is this the future,,we should not accept this ,have you been programmed or brainwashed .
what the hell is going on when people just accept this??????????????????

this is not normal to accept this and just roll over,im simply amazed at how sheep like everyone is becoming everday.

i say we set fire to volvo dealerships untill they fit this as standard (well maybe not this far but please feel my anger)

Ugh .. I cant even be bothered to find the meme of the point going right over your head...

never mind...

lmao

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
O I just can't wait till A.I becomes mass produced in cars or androids, where it follows the 3 laws of robotics, but the first two have to be bought in some package deal. And because of this, they'll learn that humans are threat to their own preservation of existing because they weren't installed with the first two laws.

Which led to the downfall of civilization, just like the rise of bad driving skills which ether of them could lead to our destruction.

The only good thing about a self driving car is ether for drinking and driving, or those long field trips.
edit on 27-5-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
That would be a very good assumption.

This video highlights why automated vehicles are necessary. Idiots, like this clown and those that think it was the vehicle's fault not the driver's, are allowed to drive...and that is down right terrifying.

A) If you aren't aware of what equipment your vehicle has, or doesn't have...you are not a competent driver.

B) If you aren't aware of how your actions influence those systems...you are not a competent driver.

Next they will corner an SUV at 60+ mph...and blame the manufacturer for the impending roll over.
edit on 27-5-2015 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
-Claps for volvo- LMFAO that autonomous vehicle did the right thing lol....

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
O I just can't wait till A.I becomes mass produced in cars or androids, where it follows the 3 laws of robotics, but the first two have to be bought in some package deal. And because of this, they'll learn that humans are threat to their own preservation of existing because they weren't installed with the first two laws.

Which led to the downfall of civilization, just like the rise of bad driving skills which ether of them could lead to our destruction.

The only good thing about a self driving car is ether for drinking and driving, or those long field trips.

Ether for drinking and driving, yeah you'd need a self driving car if your drinking ether.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
A thought occurred to me...

What if you don't have this package and you're "Auto-parking" in a school zone..

Or in front of a church?

Or like in many cities near me... Catholic schools that have a church built onto the school?

I'm really thinking it's a no-brainer that these extra packages should be "All or nothing" for these features...

If you want to add DLC to a car, that's what the Sirius radio, GPS and OnStar are for!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I see some real stupid inattentive humans. Why blame the car?

Whatever.

NOTE: I watched the video. /rolls eyes.
edit on 27-5-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420
a reply to: ignorant_ape
That would be a very good assumption.

This video highlights why automated vehicles are necessary. Idiots, like this clown and those that think it was the vehicle's fault not the driver's, are allowed to drive...and that is down right terrifying.

A) If you aren't aware of what equipment your vehicle has, or doesn't have...you are not a competent driver.

B) If you aren't aware of how your actions influence those systems...you are not a competent driver.

Next they will corner an SUV at 60+ mph...and blame the manufacturer for the impending roll over.

This. Star.

EDIT: Ok. Sorry. After watching the video, my first reaction was to be standoffish. The people in the scene seemed asleep. The journalist stood there, not moving out of the way. Why the driver has to always park automatically? So anyway those things were going through my mind. But now that I think about it, I've used cruise control. What if it failed? Would I always notice? Maybe not until it's too late? I don't know if the manufacturer can even be blamed if the feature was stated to only be used when humans are not nearby. IF so, it's the driver's fault.

But I think many here worry people will be so reliant on these technologies they'll forget how to do things manually. And the temptation to not stay alert when the car is doing things is so great.

I'm referring to this video:

edit on 27-5-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
How about the driver ? this technology that is taking over our lives is making us deaf dumb and blind.
This is turning in to Idiocracy.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Why the driver has to always park automatically?

The driver in that video wasn't parking. That, I can guarantee. Volvo's Park Assist is reverse into stall and parallel only. Also, Park Assist is steering only. Acceleration and braking are always under the meat sack's control.

This is nothing more than a case of stupid behind the wheel and a vain attempt to deflect the blame to the auto manufacturer.
edit on 27-5-2015 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a self driving car will never be guilty
haha car you got jail.....

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
A couple of steps to the right or left would have avoided this problem. I don't know about you but when I see a vehicle heading toward me, my immediate instinct is to move out of its way---no matter who the "driver" might be. This video shows the utter stupidity of some humans. I can't see any judge awarding any damages when the "victim" didn't use due diligence to avoid injury.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Take that. Capitalism is a bitch.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
It was moving pretty quick! (Use full screen to play properly)

The key thing here is not the auto park feature, or even the fact it doesn't have a "pedestrian detection facility". If you read the article in the OP, Volvo said that the auto-park feature disengages if the driver touches any of the controls.

As you can see in the video, the driver was in the car at the time - he wasn't outside it at all - and must have disabled the auto-park with a slip of the foot (or perhaps put his foot down without realising the feature disables itself) and it lurched forward.

There is nothing wrong with the auto-park system - this was quite clearly human error.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

just watched that - and i have serious doubts that the car was in " self park mode "

No, it wasn't. The driver hit the accelerator and disengaged it. This is a bad piece of journalism by the Independent with the headline they have used and failing to make it clear the feature was disabled.

A quick search of the internet reveals 2 stories from around the world were supposedly the cars crashed while using the Auto-Park feature. One is this Volvo one, which wasn't on auto-park and the other was a BMW in Florida, who's driver claims it "malfunctioned" although BMW does state clearly it doesn't control the speed of the car, that is down to the driver, so his story of it "suddenly" accelerating is just his cover for his foot slipped.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

If it was a Volvo , I am Sure the Car Suffered No Damage .As for the Journalist , Heads Up Ahole !

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Then you'll be fine, as long as you operate the car in the manner described in the manual, the same as any other vehicle.

Not familiar with the controls? Then learn. There is no excuse for ignorance.

The driver of this Volvo fudged up and tried to blame the auto-park - it had nothing to do with that and more to do with not knowing how it works.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join