It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia gives up on Mistrals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Russia has given up on taking delivery of the Mistral class helicopter carriers that they ordered from France. They're in discussions now over how much compensation they will receive for failure to deliver the ships. France has offered $866M, under the condition that they can then sell the ships to a third party. The two are expected to reach a deal next week. Russia has plans to build a copy of the Mistral in their own shipyards.

Moscow has finally given up on the Mistral deal. Now Russia and France will dicuss only the sum that Paris should pay Russia for the failed contract.
During the negotiations on the Mistral deal Russia and France have discussed only one question — the sum of the compensation.

"We switch the conversation to business — give us our money back… We're now discussing just one thing — the exact sum of money France owes Russia," Oleg Bochkaryov, a deputy chairman of the Russian Military Industrial Complex said.

sputniknews.com...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Which country is the most likely candidate to except delivery? I would be inclined to think somewhere in the Pacific.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
Which country is the most likely candidate to except delivery? I would be inclined to think somewhere in the Pacific.

I would not count out Brazil or possibly India.

edit on 26-5-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Canada has been named as a potential customer, as has China.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

It will be interesting to see where they end up. If they try to sell them to China I know a few countries in the area that will be highly irate.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

They may be forced to scrap them completely. They can only resell them with permission from Russia, as both were built to Russian standards.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

It would be a shame if they went to the breaking yard.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Nooo!!!

Absolutely not Canada!!!

Those sneaky super polite evil canuks are after our bacon!!!!

They have long been jealous of our bacon, going so far in their envy as to call "ham" Canadian bacon.

As soon as they get this carrier it is game over!!!

I always knew this day was coming, I just hope I can keep my lifetime supply safe.

Our new Canadian masters- (knock knock knock)...."oh hello there aye, ya we heard you guys have some bacon. If it isn't toouch trouble, would you mind if we take it aye?....... Thanks very much, you guys have been very kind indeed, if we can ever repay you just let us know!!"

Evil Canadians, using their super sneaky overly polite mind tricks on us Americans.

We don't even realise we just got robbed until they are long gone with our bacon.....

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

They may be forced to scrap them completely. They can only resell them with permission from Russia, as both were built to Russian standards.

I don't understand that, why must the producer have the recipients permission?

Is it to do with them being build off Russian plans, thus Russian intellectual property?

To greathouse- ....wow, the thought if brand new carriers going from the ship yard to the scrap yard...it is like destroying fine art, it is just such bad form.

Hell they are even Russian plans, but I still don't want to see them just scrapped.

And all that money list too Frances ship yards.

What's it take for a heli carrier a year, 2 years to build?

Damn, that will suck really bad if they have to scrap brand new ships like this, it is a tragedy.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

The ships have a lot of Russian equipment on board. France has to get their permission to remove, or allow a follow on customer to use that equipment.

The USS America (LHA-6) was laid down on 17 July 2009, and launched 4 June 2012, and took an additional two years for trials before commissioning.

Russia announced interest in Mistrals in 2009, and awarded the contract in 2010 with formal signing in January 2011, and the Sebastopol departed on the third set of trials on the 21st.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
if the finer points are labeled in Cyrillic, trust me
it will be a very limited customer base

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

The ships have a lot of Russian equipment on board. France has to get their permission to remove, or allow a follow on customer to use that equipment.

The USS America (LHA-6) was laid down on 17 July 2009, and launched 4 June 2012, and took an additional two years for trials before commissioning.

Russia announced interest in Mistrals in 2009, and awarded the contract in 2010 with formal signing in January 2011, and the Sebastopol departed on the third set of trials on the 21st.

I would almost rather see Russia use these than them go for scrap.

That just sucks.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I'm sure France would think so too. They wouldn't get as much for them second hand, but they'd still get a good bit of money for the refit to the new customer standards. Otherwise, they lose all the money they spent building them, and that's a good chunk of change.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I'm sure France would think so too. They wouldn't get as much for them second hand, but they'd still get a good bit of money for the refit to the new customer standards. Otherwise, they lose all the money they spent building them, and that's a good chunk of change.

Hell yes it is.

A couple years for the shipwrights... That isn't minimum wage pay.

Per ship.....

I hope they can sell them, honestly I hope Canada gets at least one.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
"Come and get 'em"

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

A "Japan" purchase would be interesting

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

A "Japan" purchase would be interesting

Japan just started a new class of their own. Taiwan on the other hand?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

China would be just as bad. India or Canada would be preferred.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Two points...

1. There is a lesson that the West and Russia cannot do business in the defence industry. This is a lesson that'll last a long time.
2. Who "needs" amphibious assault ships that can afford the offering, plus the replacement of the Russian equipment, noting that much of the "customisation" was to be completed in Russia.

Would the French really contemplate a sale to China?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

It really is stupid how we sell to hostile countries to make a buck, knowing full well those shiny new toys may be used against us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join